MR waiver...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Is anyone familar with a M.R. waiver. DD qualifies for this. I have yet to research it. The way I am understanding what DW is telling me is we qualify for up to 5K one time (use it or lose it). Right know we are looking at fencing in the yard, door alarms, learning aids, ect. Has anyone had one of these. What type of expenses can be approved for it ect? What oversight is involved? Can we put the balance in, for example a flex spending account for her medical? Any info would be helpful even a link to answer questions.

Thanks

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Didn't know what you were talking about at first, but I figured it out.

Doesn't look theere's much that's easy to find on the web. Have you tried talking with a DHS caseworker at a local office?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
The MR stands for mental retardation. Once we are approved we are assigned a caseworker/advocate. I need to know the motivation of the Caseworker/advocate. Are they trying to control cost, managing the program, making suggestions and doing things that are truly in the intrest of DD.

One of the things we need to do and were told would fall into what the money could be used for is securing the yard/house. Can it be used for landscaping features or are fences the only option? If we use the money now does the "one time use" mean we/she cant get assistance later in her life? Will this end up putting us in some kind of Caseworker hell? I have alot of questions that I would feel better asking a parent than the DHS.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I'll see what hubby knows when he gets home and ask some of the parents I know who have special needs children

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I guess I understand wanting the straight scoop from parents. I really think the average caseworrker is out for your/her best interests, that's why they got into the feild to begin with, their bosses, maybe have other motivations. If you don't want to ask your caseworker, yet mayy want to ask DHS, consider calling DHS in another county, more of anonymous question. I know that still doesn't get you around the motivation issue, but it may get you some info if you can't find it otherwise.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
iadad--i don't want to worry bssage. but he could be correct in his thinking. recently we had some issues with our state over the kiddos' stuff and it all came down to someone not wanting to do their job which caused us a whole lotta hardship and the kids going w/out some medication they needed. so it's a <U>huge</U> possibility that any caseworker he might talk to is actually only thinking of the money and how they can save a buck or two while not caring about this family at all.