Music & Report card...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I'm still with Xero.

But you guys had some good idea's that I will try. Maybe if I can just spark a little interest I can get him to improve.

He loves to play guessing games. We could do that with the instruments. His G, GMIL plays pianio I'll try and get her to make him fudge. I played drums in school so no fudge for me.

I suppose this is one of those times when its better to do right, than be right. DW and I are probably just making it worse.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Also, I didn't mention Intonation and Pitch....

Don't discount this testing in any way...

First, I wish every musician I have ever worked with fully understood Intonation, but sadly some don't.

As for Pitch testing, this is very important, especially at that age....this (I assume) is the same sort of testing that goes on in a hearing exam...they hear two different pitches, and say whether one is higher or lower. A student who has trouble in this area, may have a hearing issue or concern...that being said, it is great that the schools do this, and have been able to attack hearing problems at an early stage.

I had a hearing problem at a young age, which resulted in the removal of my adnoids....now I can hear a mouse fart from 4000 feet away - hahaha...all thanks to my pitch test.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LMAO.

A mouse fart.

teehee.

I remember taking a pitch test too. But they just had me put headphones on and asked me if I heard whatever they were having it do. Mine was fine, but I do have my tonsils and adnoids out due to sleep apnia.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Xero said:
LMAO.

A mouse fart.

teehee.

I remember taking a pitch test too. But they just had me put headphones on and asked me if I heard whatever they were having it do. Mine was fine, but I do have my tonsils and adnoids out due to sleep apnia.
Yes, I remember the headphone testing...it was an actual hearing exam, they focused on left/right higher/lower and louder/quieter.

After having my adnoids removed, they administered the test again, and I aced it.

I found 2 tests that are to do with musical perception....I would urge all the musicians here to take it, as well as the non musicians...(post your scores).

Delosis - Musical Listening Test

Here is a simple pitch test...try it on your son...it will also help him get better at it.

Adaptive Pitch: Measure your pitch perception abilities

gregjohn1229

PF Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2009
if he was in middles school then u should be concerned because in middle school you are performing and often the homework is to practice

Aponder

PF Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2009
Daytona, Fl.
<YOUTUBE id="ipzR9bhei_o" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o&amp;fmt=18">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o&amp;fmt=18</YOUTUBE>

Ok... the embedded video mod seems to be screwing with the video's timing... try watching it directly on youtube if you want to see it.

Basic knowledge of music trains the mind to do many things. It's been a part of our history as a species since afore man could speak true words. It's considered more of an elective than a core course. He doesn't have a GPA at that age so, I wouldn't stress over any academic repercussions in the future. I don't think it will mentally scar him or anything. I think it's good that you're willing to turn to Google to help him.

Fortunately, you folks have the internet to help you learn along with him :D

I suggest that you get a cheap Recorder to learn and play with as a family. They're easy, low maintenance, and fun.

afterthought: Just wait until your fifth grader comes home with Algebra. Especially when he doesn't pay attention and spaces out on it...

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Aponder said:
I suggest that you get a cheap Recorder to learn and play with as a family. They're easy, low maintenance, and fun.
Very good idea...or better yet get a cheap keyboard, and get a beginner book. (I suggest Leila Fletcher Piano Course - Book 1)

I bought K a pretty cool and very functional keyboard at WalMart - $29.99

The book should be about $10 (music store)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Ok you guys win I give,,,,,,,,,,,,UNCLE!!!!.

We started guessing instruments on the radio (classic rock is about as classic as I get) while I was taking him to Karate tonight. And I started quizing him about how much of that,,,,,Stuff he knows. A lot more than me really.

And Aponder. I understand its not part of his GPA.. Its just that when he is not succesful it is easy for him to get discouraged. And that makes it harder for me to motivate him.

Ds loved that link I made it full screen on my 24" listening to harmen kardon's I think I am seeing a little fire in his eyes.

Bbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuutttttttttttt I am actively trying. Thanks in no small part to a beat down by my pf brother and sisters (JK).

Really thanks for the advise.