Music and children...

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
*Disclaimer - As with all threads that ask for someones opinion I can see this turning ugly. I truly don't want that to happen as I am a peaceful guy. I am honestly just curious as to your opinion on the matter.*

I wasn't sure where to put this thread because I am mostly concerned about my children whom are between 4 and 7 but I guess that it could apply to any child

Anyway my children don't really like "childrens music" all that much. I am talking about songs like Wheels On The Bus and Oh Susanna. I don't blame them. When I was a kid I listened to some of it but was also exposed to a lot of adult music as my father, my grandfather and a couple of my uncles were musicians.

I try to expose my children to various kinds of art and music even though some of it is adult themed. Just so we are clear they don't listen to 2 Live Crew or NWA. I play music that has topics that they may not quite understand but that is good (at least in my opinion) and free of explicit content. Even so I get looks and disapproving comments from the in-laws and even my parents whom are not exactly Ozzie and Harriet.

I am very different from most of my family in that I teach my children to have positive moral values and exhibit what it means to be a good person. Because of this I am the black shep which seems a little twisted to me but whatever.

That being said I feel a little alone in my views on life. I believe that you can rock out from time to time and still be a positive moral example to those around you.

Do you let your children listen to music that society says is too old for them or is I've Been Working On The Railroad on the top of your playlist.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Well, can you give us a few examples. You know, where are you on the spectrum between "2LiveCrew" and "Oh Susanna"?

I've always let my kids listen to adult music, and when you have kids who are widely apart, the younger one tends to get an earful of the older's music anyway.

I just took my 15-yo and 9-yo boys to the Rush concert two nights ago, and they went with me to the same 2 years ago, so Mike was 7 at that time. He's a huge Rush freak.

My younger son used to LOOOVE "Bohemian Rhapsody" when he was little.

Of course, Rush has pretty serious, but largely tame lyrics. We have listened to some music where I had to turn down the volume really quickly to avoid some particularly bad language.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
My 8yos favorite artists are Pat Benatar, Michael Jackson, Styx and Hannah Montana/HSM et al (he hasn't really fine tuned his tastes yet. He also gets regualr doses of brass band music Sinatra/rat pack/standards as well. If you teachkids to baby talk they'll baby talk, if you teach them cute trite songs, they're going to have trite tastes.

I'm with you not the elders on this one.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
sbattisti said:
Of course, Rush has pretty serious, but largely tame lyrics. We have listened to some music where I had to turn down the volume really quickly to avoid some particularly bad language.
the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
My kids listen to almost everything, I do not limit what they listen to or the content really. I love system of a down and their music is far from kid friendly but they listen and sing along they just bleep themselves during certain words. And then I listen to Garth Brooks, Crystal Gail and Carol King.

A few of mines teens like hip/hop and they like that. As was mentioned...when you have older kids in the house kids are more likely to hear music some would find offensive. They are well rounded and know right from wrong, so I don't see where "music" is corrupting them.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
sbattisti said:
Well, can you give us a few examples. You know, where are you on the spectrum between "2LiveCrew" and "Oh Susanna"?
This is going to sound more rude than it's meant to be but I am not so much looking for approval as I am curious as to your philosophy on the subject. If I made it sound otherwise it was not intentional. Again this statement was not meant to be confrontational it's just a statement of fact.

To answer your question though one of my childrens favorite songs is Me and Mrs. Jones. I like the Michael Buble version. Anyway I sing it al ot when I am doing stuff around the house and often I change the words so that the subject is my wife which makes it not about adultery. Sometimes I sing the real version. As a result my children often sing it too. Again it's about adultery which I fully believe is wrong but alas it is a great song.

Another example is Strawberry Wine by Deanna Carter. It's about young love and talks about wine. I don't drink and am really against alcohol in general because of past experiences. Still I believe this to be a really good song. My children also love this song.

A third example would be Back in Black by ACDC. Neither I nor my children or probably 85% people who have heard this song have any idea what they are saying but the guitar is awesome. Sometimes we will let this rip through the speakers. It could be about synchronized Nazi puppy kicking and I would have no idea. It just RAWKS!!!

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I listen to a lot of music that is about things that I don't necessarily aprove of. And because I listen to it around my daughter, she also listens to it. I don't think she thinks much about it yet, but I've always thought that as she grew up, I'd try to make a point of teaching her that we can listen to music even if we don't agree with the lyrics, just because its good. But the flipside is also important - I don't believe its healthy when little girls idolise singers with dodgy lifestyles and generally slutty behaviour... Its up to us to teach them that its ok to enjoy the music, but its not ok to try to copy someone just because you like their music. Am I being naive here? I haven't reached that point yet. My daughter still idolises Tinkerbell :)

PS: I centrainly don't think that listening to Me and Mrs Jones will make your kids commit adultery when they grow up. That's just rediculous.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Well, we don't listen to a lot of popular music so, right there is a disconnect from most people, I suppose.

I played the piano and took up ballet from 5 until I graduated high school, so I love classical music. So, most of the time, that's what we listen to.

In terms of current music, my kids loooove Beyonce. I think it's kind of hilarious.

I am not a big fan of rap music, but Nate is. Of course, since the twins are 2 so of course they're not listening to rap, but when they're older, if that's what they want to listen to, I won't stop them. As long as I don't hear it, we're cool.

susanwoolworth

Jul 27, 2010
I found the perfect music for the little ones! i found lullaby versions of Beatles and U2 songs from this company on itunes. when readin to my son, or trying to put him to bed i use them and he LOVES them, and i like the quite a bit myself! check them out they really do work. :D

Go to iTunes and Search " TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE ROCK STAR" they have everything from the Beatles to The Twilight Soundtracks in lullaby form!

bharris1027

Aug 4, 2010
if it makes them dance and jump around and have a good time, keep at it! like you said, no NWA, 50 cent, etc.......u got this

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't keep from listening to too much around my son, honestly. I don't think music is a big deal. Music is just for fun, its not like any kid is going to live every word of a song they hear or something. Basically at this age, the content doesn't matter too much to me, but swear words do. If there is a song with more than one swear word in it, I don't play it around him. I just think its a little inappropriate, and I don't want him picking it up. Mostly everything else (to a point, obviously) is alright to play around him at this age. As he gets a little older and starts understanding what some songs are saying, I will probably cut some of them out of the play list as well LOL. But I'll never be crazy strict about it.

Don't get me wrong though, we listen to plenty of toddler music too lol.

Amy Sanders

Aug 18, 2010
We both have eclectic musical tastes and we want our children to at least appreciate a wide spectrum of music. Currently, they don't care for traditional children's music and that's okay. They like a few songs, but mostly they prefer adult music.

We try to keep adult music focused on "fun" music and not "dark" music. And we try to focus on songs that we could explain to them. My husband is a big Bob Dylan fan so they are currently listening to songs like "Mozambique" which are upbeat or nonsense songs like "Subterranean Homesick Blues". All 3 kids (5,4,1) are as likely to jam out to bluegrass as they are to old school Queen.

ThisMomsTheBomb

Aug 19, 2010
NYC
Amy Sanders said:
We both have eclectic musical tastes and we want our children to at least appreciate a wide spectrum of music. Currently, they don't care for traditional children's music and that's okay. They like a few songs, but mostly they prefer adult music.

We try to keep adult music focused on "fun" music and not "dark" music. And we try to focus on songs that we could explain to them. My husband is a big Bob Dylan fan so they are currently listening to songs like "Mozambique" which are upbeat or nonsense songs like "Subterranean Homesick Blues". All 3 kids (5,4,1) are as likely to jam out to bluegrass as they are to old school Queen.
Hmmmm... Well, I understand that you want to play the kids songs that 'you like' but make sure they get an education of some of the newer songs of today, because they will soon be entering the social world and music is a great buffer zone!

That being said, Dylan is awesome to be brought up on. Play them some Beatles albums! It's great music to be implanted in your brain :p

Repped for the Dylan reference!

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
im always playing gn'r round the house. doesnt have the best language at times but my son doesnt understand anythin really when hes singing.. he is always listenin to elvis with me. a few times on the odd occcasion ill listen to eminem. my boy knows what swearing is as he has been raised with a mom n dad who cuss often. i dnt think its a bad thing, as long as the music isnt overplayed.

SDenham

Aug 26, 2010
Panama City, FL
My kids like country music, (blech!) and I like heavy metal. We listen to country music and they know all the words. I listen to my music, and can't even tell what the words are.

I wonder who's music tastes are more refined?

Snapperfish

PF Regular
Aug 20, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
Here are the things we know about children:
- they copy
- they don't understand

Given the above, I believe you are safe to play anything that does not have explicit content. Not that the content is that much of a problem, you just don't want your kids chanting it elsewhere. Half the time, they don't even say the words correctly, they really are just copying.

Also, teenagers will rebel against you and your likes. So if you listen to metal, they might end up listening to Air Supply...

If you model suitable behaviour, they will copy you. No worries!

Matt

Vikas1

Banned
Jul 13, 2010
music is the best treatment to mind. children are very interesting in music, they like special music other than silent music hearing by adults and aged peoples.

dancon

Sep 14, 2010
What were all the posters in the thread raised listening, themselves?
I'm 40 and all I had access to were my sister's albums, which was all classic rock... so, in turn, that's what I play for -my- kids.
I seem to get the biggest response from Bob Marley / Reggae...