My 7yr old won't fasten her coat....

Aimee McIntyre

PF Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
I have a feeling that it could be a long process because after School was the same issue.

She is still complaining at getting soaked and then having to do something she doesn't want to do.

She doesn't like getting soaked so much so, that she changed as soon as she came in as she was soaked from top to bottom.

If that is case then she should just zip the coat in order to stay dry.

As I said, her hair is always dry because she wears a hat.

Aimee McIntyre

PF Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
I found out this morning, from my daughter that at Guides on Tuesday she was "made to zip up her coat".

I did wonder why she came out with it zipped when I picked her up but didn't ask because she was very tired and quiet.

This morning she told me that anytime they go outside at Guides, they are told to zip their coats and if they complain or refuse, a leader zips it for them and tells them off for disobeying a leader.

My DD does like going to Guides but gets nervous that she may be told to zip her coat up, she tells them that she "hates a zipped coat" but they just say back to her "tough, its getting zipped, like it or not".

So from me letting her learn for herself, the leaders at Guides are saying "she has to do it when at Guides", quite confusing for poor bairn.

About 1730, after dinner, I sat her down again and explained to her that she can't complain about being cold or wet if it was her choice to leave her coat unzipped but all she said was "why do I have to zip my coat, I hate it zipped"?, so I had to ask her "why do you hate a zipped up coat, is it uncomfortable or too warm"?, she replied to both of these "no, it is very comfy and warm, it is because all my friends leave their coats unzipped and I don't want to feel left out, they don't mind being wet though", she also said "it is too hard to zip a coat, sometimes I can't connect zip and sometimes it sticks on me".

Thoughts on that explanation, all I will say is, typical child lol.

Last edited:

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
if this really is such a big deal mayb e you should look into other alternatives, zip up coats aren't the only things out there maybe she needs a button up one or one with ties around her waist like a trenchcoat or a big hoodie or something?

Aimee McIntyre

PF Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
She will only wear zip up coats though.

I have tried her with coats with buttons but she won't wear it, she will only wear Regatta or Helly Hanson coats that only have zips, she won't wear one that has velcro or buttons and a zip.

Last edited:

Aimee McIntyre

PF Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
She is slowly learning that she can't complain about getting wet if she decides to leave her coat open, in fact, she actually zipped it today and it wasn't even raining, she said it was comfy once it was zipped.

That was very strange for a girl who "hates a zipped coat", thats why when she got out of School, I asked her why it was zipped, she replied by saying "I wanted to see if it was comfy zipped up which it is so I left it zipped".

Last edited:

Aimee McIntyre

PF Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
I tried her with a different coat this morning as it was raining again but she wanted her own one on.

She was moaning again about being wet so, as I have been saying for this last while, I said "well, you know how to stop that" but she took a strop with me and started to cry saying "I don't want it zipped" so I said "Fair enough but don't moan about being wet", she took strop the whole way to School so from thinking she was getting message, she decides to go back to her old self :-(

So the button up coat didn't work and she is not understanding that she cannot moan about getting wet if its her choice not to zip her coat.

Aimee McIntyre

PF Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
I tried her with a different coat this morning as it was raining again but she wanted her own one on.

She was moaning again about being wet so, as I have been saying for this last while, I said "well, you know how to stop that" but she took a strop with me and started to cry saying "I don't want it zipped" so I said "Fair enough but don't moan about being wet", she took strop the whole way to School so from thinking she was getting message, she decides to go back to her old self :-(

So the button up coat didn't work and she is not understanding that she cannot moan about getting wet if its her choice not to zip her coat.