My 8 yr old son...

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
So I have a question that you guys or moms with older boys.

My son fell on the teeter-totter last week and hit his privates on the bar. He was in a lot of pain (couldn't walk so I had to carry him) and I took him to the bathroom so I could check if he was swelling or seriously hurt. He was just red and a little swollen so I am pretty sure he was ok. I gave him an ice pack to put there and he was feeling better in just a cpl hrs. Anyway I noticed that he was getting blonde, fine hair "down there". I thought 8 yrs old is to young to be getting pubic hair so my question is this...Is that actually pubic hair or is that just like pre-pubic hair? Does that mean he is going to be going through puberty soon? My BIL said he started puberty at approx. 12 yrs old.

Just a little FYI, possibly TMI but I got my first period at 9, my sister got hers at 8. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
I've never heard of "pre-pubic" hair, so I'm assuming this is the real thing. 8 years old is a bit young, but it's not unheard of. My boys have started this stage at about 10-11 years old.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Actually it's perfectly normal and has to do with genetics. My friend and I were talking about this. Her children are our kids age and hers has pre pubic hair while mine do not. It's totally normal, I swear.