my boy acting different with me....

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
this has really bugged me. james is kinda turning funny on me. im not mad at him but his mom. hes just repeating things she says bout me. you know how kids are around that age...hes not as affectionate with me and hes not listening as well anymore. i try to make him listen and then i just get pissed off cus hes a little smartass already lol...but then i feel bad. could that be why hes acting weird cus of that. ive been tryin to watch my temper with him being more patient.

is it the age :confused:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I'm sure some of it is age, but it is hard to rule out other things without really seeing you guys in action. Cause it is possible that there are other things going on.

Really, though, all you can do is stay strong, don't let behavior slide. Keep your temper under control which is hard when they think they know everything and feel that you don't (the story of parenthood :) ).

Correct the things he repeats that he has heard elsewhere, I really hate when parents do that to each other. Never criticize his mom and her boyfriend in front of him cause that will backfire down the road, basically you want to be the bigger person.

Last bit of advice...hold on for dear life, this is only the beginning, wait until he is a teen ;)

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I agree Superman, It's hard to tell exactly. I think that James may be confused because if his mom is talking about you in front of him, even if she isn't doing it intentionally, he's hearing it and it seems he may be angry about it and doens't know how to filter it through. (know what I mean) So he's kind of pushing your buttons because he has no one else to be mad at.

I've seen this with my sister and her husband when they were separating, their son Alix was in the middle and it was really nasty fighting and bad mouthing each other. The little guy loved them both and became angry with them for talking badly about eachother, and he didn't know how to say he hates it. He acted out in other ways. When they're young they don't know how to explain it, or tell you (the parents)to stop doing that or saying that. (after all your his parents and he thinks he may get in trouble)

It's so hard for the kids, try to think how he feels inside his little head, how all that anger looks to him, all he sees is his mom and dad the only two people he loves and trusts, hating eachother and he can't do anything about it. That might help you not loose your temper (which I know is easy to do) because you will realize that he simply doesn't have the skills to express himself properly, especially his anger. (I'm sure it's not personal)

Again, I think the best thing you can do is talk to him about it, try to help him pin point what the problem is inside himself. He probably needs to someone to talk to. Just tell him you notice that he's acting differently toward you and would he like to talk to you about it.

Just don't freak out if he says something fresh, if he does tell him that's not acceptable, and you will talk to him again later when he can act respectful toward you.

Something like that, show him you're not going to let him be rude, but your not giving up on him either.

Good luck

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
mom2many said:
I'm sure some of it is age, but it is hard to rule out other things without really seeing you guys in action. Cause it is possible that there are other things going on.

Really, though, all you can do is stay strong, don't let behavior slide. Keep your temper under control which is hard when they think they know everything and feel that you don't (the story of parenthood :) ).

Correct the things he repeats that he has heard elsewhere, I really hate when parents do that to each other. Never criticize his mom and her boyfriend in front of him cause that will backfire down the road, basically you want to be the bigger person.

Last bit of advice...hold on for dear life, this is only the beginning, wait until he is a teen ;)
thanks m2m...always givin me great advice.
anyways yes i am correcting him when he says/repeats things...honest im not sayin anything about his mom when hes around. jesus..i dont know what im going to do when hes a teenager...freaks me oooout:eek:

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
NancyM said:
I agree Superman, It's hard to tell exactly. I think that James may be confused because if his mom is talking about you in front of him, even if she isn't doing it intentionally, he's hearing it and it seems he may be angry about it and doens't know how to filter it through. (know what I mean) So he's kind of pushing your buttons because he has no one else to be mad at.

I've seen this with my sister and her husband when they were separating, their son Alix was in the middle and it was really nasty fighting and bad mouthing each other. The little guy loved them both and became angry with them for talking badly about eachother, and he didn't know how to say he hates it. He acted out in other ways. When they're young they don't know how to explain it, or tell you (the parents)to stop doing that or saying that. (after all your his parents and he thinks he may get in trouble)

It's so hard for the kids, try to think how he feels inside his little head, how all that anger looks to him, all he sees is his mom and dad the only two people he loves and trusts, hating eachother and he can't do anything about it. That might help you not loose your temper (which I know is easy to do) because you will realize that he simply doesn't have the skills to express himself properly, especially his anger. (I'm sure it's not personal)

Again, I think the best thing you can do is talk to him about it, try to help him pin point what the problem is inside himself. He probably needs to someone to talk to. Just tell him you notice that he's acting differently toward you and would he like to talk to you about it.

Just don't freak out if he says something fresh, if he does tell him that's not acceptable, and you will talk to him again later when he can act respectful toward you.

Something like that, show him you're not going to let him be rude, but your not giving up on him either.

Good luck
i know..its just tough cus i try to not let her get to me..you know shes not perfect. and then i just boil over. we got into it pretty bad when i went to pick him up for dinner. what you said is truue though....i never thought of lookijng at it that way.... :(

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
It must be hard, I never had to deal with all that. At least you can help James deal with what ever he's going through, he's the most important person now.

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
Smile a lot. It helps and the kids find it hard to stay mad when you do. Sometimes it works better than others but the other day I had a little episode with my 7 yr old boy. He was acting up as he often does. It seems he only wants to play video games and watch TV and thinks he should be free to do so and not have to do any chores or homework...

I was fed up with him and took him to his room and told him he needs to be willing to do his homework and I mentioned that all he ever wants to do is play games or something to that effect. He retorted with a phrase from the movie over the hedge in a snide voice: "That's because enough is never enough!"

It was so irrelevant and so funny I just burst out laughing and he looked at me strange for a moment but then laughed himself. I forgot my anger and hugged him and he forgot his and then went back down stairs with me and helped with the dishes.

Go figure. I find that a smile can go a long way to repairing things sometimes. Sometimes it takes more talking with him or time in his room but often if I lighten up he gets better right away.

rrudnick

Banned
Feb 6, 2011
How old is James?

The calmer you are with him, when he isn't listening, the calmer he will be and the more responsive he'll be to discipline. If you're upset with him, try expressing it verbally instead of showing it emotionally. Don't be afraid to say something like "I'm getting really frustrated and I don't want to play when your acting like that" or whatever is applicable to the situation.

Check out my articles on discipline on my new parenting website YikeDat (dot com)

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
eh. i don't want my babies to grow up i want them to stay 2 forever.... (well maybe not two, lets turn the clock back to before he could talk lol)

i don't know what advice to give superman, i guess i just agree with what has already been said. just make sure you don't talk negatively about his mother or her boyfriend in front of him because it won't help anything.... just try to get through this, i am sure it is just a phase.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
rrudnick said:
How old is James?

The calmer you are with him, when he isn't listening, the calmer he will be and the more responsive he'll be to discipline. If you're upset with him, try expressing it verbally instead of showing it emotionally. Don't be afraid to say something like "I'm getting really frustrated and I don't want to play when your acting like that" or whatever is applicable to the situation.

Check out my articles on discipline on my new parenting website YikeDat (dot com)
thats true. James turned 6 in september.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Antoinette said:
eh. i don't want my babies to grow up i want them to stay 2 forever.... (well maybe not two, lets turn the clock back to before he could talk lol)

i don't know what advice to give superman, i guess i just agree with what has already been said. just make sure you don't talk negatively about his mother or her boyfriend in front of him because it won't help anything.... just try to get through this, i am sure it is just a phase.
lol...im actually really lookin forward to when hes a bit older...like 10. idk why. i dont i dont i swear! i think its just a phase to...im workin on it

P07-Felix

Feb 7, 2011
keep it cool superman..kids are always trying to attract your attention and if u dont give him the attention, he will try to ignore you in order for you to show him more attention.

lil mama

Feb 7, 2011
My boyfriend has a 4 year old that has been acting angry and has a major attitude. He was always a happy kid until recently. I am not sure whats been going on at his moms house, he did say he is allowed to do whatever he wants. And at our house there are rules. Im concerned, frustrated and wondering too if its just his age or if something else is causing this behavior. Good luck

JungleMama

PF Regular
Feb 7, 2011
Good ol' Canada Eh!
Okay.. here's what you do.

Grab some duct tape... rope...

oh! not an option? crap D:

just kidding!! lmbo! I agree with rrudnick and hope for the best! Good Luck!