My child wakes up too early...

MARCif

Oct 12, 2015
Hello,

On saturday and sunday morning my little girl always wakes up very early. Around 7pm and then comes into our rooms to ask if it's time to wake-up. It means that we can never sleep on saturday and sunday morning, it's kind of a problem.
She does't know how to read a clock since she is only 4 years old. After she wakes-up, she asks us every 10 min if it's time to wake up. So she also wakes me up...
Moreover, she never wants to sleep when it's bed time. Any an idea to make her stay in bed until we tell her that it's time to wake up? I'm trying to figure out how to set-up a routine, it would make my life easier... Any ideas ?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
(I tried replying to this a few days ago and then my computer froze and glitched and I ended up losing my post.)

Welcome to parenthood with toddlers and preschoolers. Where you say goodbye to late morning wake ups and say hello to sunrise.
Don't worry, it won't be forever.
I used to wake up super early on the weekends so I could catch Count Duckula and Samurai Pizza Cats on the telly. My mom would leave out the cereal box and a bowl on the table for me to help myself so I wouldn't bug her. She relished sleeping in on weekends. I would watch T.V. or do something quiet, like draw or a puzzle while she slept. In a way, it was a chance for me to have time to myself.
I tried doing the same thing with my daughter, but she was more "adventurous and daring" and we didn't always have cable. She once walked in my room and woke me up with a new haircut, she painted lovely things all over my lovely things. When she got older she was better at this "let-mom-sleep" thing.
Unfortunately, you may have to wake up when your daughter wakes you up. Or you can try what my mom used to do. But it's a different society with stricter parental expectations. Just a warning of what could happen, if your child roams outside by themselves a neighbor could call authorities or something else could happen.

MARCif

Oct 12, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for this feedback, very interesting the new hair cut thing. So far my little is quite obedient, and not so much of an adventurer, but still she wants to know when she is allowed to start making noise ahahah. Some people talked to me about some kind of clocks for kids to tell your kids when they can Wake up or not, I'd rather look this way.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
she painted lovely things all over my lovely things
Oh dear :(

They are going to wake up when they are done sleeping, and there is no much you can do about it at that age. The only thing I can suggest is in order to get enough sleep, go to bed earlier so that you're ready to wake up when the little one is ready:)

Like artmom said, it will pass.

m3zomo

Oct 31, 2015
I believe she is from the type that sleeps a little time, but don't worry, when school comes, she will like sleeping :)