My Dad...

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I know this forum is about our children.. but since I am his child.. and I've come to love this place I'm asking for everyone here to keep my Dad in their thoughts. He had an accident with a table saw yesterday. They have operated and think they have saved all 3 fingers he cut nearly off. He needs his hands to be self supportive. I need him around for a long time. If you pray, please keep him in your prayers, if you don't, then your thoughts.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
You have mine.

I'm someone who has been there. I lost part of my foot in a lawnmower accident many moons ago. As a result I have made friendships with other people who are amputee's for one reason or another.

He will likely go through the same stages he would if someone close died. After all he has had those fingers for a long time. But my point is expect his moods to change over time. Anger, grief, and depression are some of the stages he will probably have. Maybe some more, and the duration of will vary. Expect this and patiently help him through it. Again its very similar to the loss of someone close to you.

When he begins to rehabilitate he will probably go through some more ego driven feelings. Shame, embarrassment ect. Unlike my foot, its hard to hide your hand. In the distant future I would guess he will be more excepting and use it as a ice breaker or instructional aid. People will stare and expecially little kids. Get used to it. Its going to happen.

Doctors can do some amazing things now. So you may also be surprised what his options are.

One thing that turned me around was being in a big hospital. That's a place where you really appreciate how good you got it and how bad it can get.

Its tough. You, your father and family are in our prayers

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
So sorry to hear this! I will definitely keep your dad in my thoughts. I hope the surgery is a success and that his fingers will heal.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'm so sorry! I will also keep him in my thoughts, and I hope very much that he gets better soon and all of the usage of his hand is saved. :(

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Thank you all so much! I believe in the power of prayer and good thoughts. My Dad, my hero, & my best friend did well in surgery. Everything was reattached. The surgeon was the best on out east coast for that type injury and says he believes he'll regain almost full i use of all his fingers! Thank you all so sooooooooo much~