My daughter is breaking my heart...

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
One day, my 2 1/2 yr old daughter decided it would be funny if she told me she didn't love me. She made an announcement to the whole (extended) family around the dinner table: "I don't love my daddy!!!" That was over a month ago, and she's still milking it. Every time I ask her "Do you love me now?" she says "no". Sometimes it's the first thing she says in the morning: "I still don't love you, daddy."

At first, it was cute. I could dismiss it. Laugh at it. I could tell myself "Of course she doesn't mean it. She's just trying to get a rise out of me. She's trying to be silly." And there was plenty of evidence that she does love me: she pounces on me for hugs, she asks me to read stories to her while she sits on my lap, she asks to be carried on my shoulders when we're out for a walk, she comes to me with open arms when she's hurt, she (sometimes) comes to tell me stories when I come home from work. The other day, she even gave me a kiss out of the blue.

But this constant "I don't love you" has been taking a toll on me and it's making me depressed. It's especially bad around father's day. I saw a commercial for a men's razor and the concept was that you want to look good for your daughter's school play because even though you're just one person among the crowd, they all fade into the background when your daughter is look for you like a beacon among the sea of faces. It actually made me depressed. I tought "Not <I>my</I> Cassidy". The other day, she was hugging grandma and grandma said "I love you" and she said "I love you too". Again, my heart sunk, and I became depressed for a little while.

I know this is irrational. I know she really loves me. But I need to vent. She has no idea how such words sound to a father. I told her once "You know when you say you don't love me? That makes me sad" to which she just said "hmm". Her mom even told her something along those lines: "Cassidy, that's not very nice to say." But she remains oblivious and innocently so. And she's very stubborn. Once she makes her mind up about something (like that she doesn't love me) she sticks to her guns. So I think the best thing to do is play this down, not hype it up into something bigger than it is. Hopefully, she'll eventually forget about it (or perhaps come to realize that it's hurtful and impolite, but that might take years).

Anyway, I'm not looking for advice or consultation. I can live with it. I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
agreed, I'd completely ignore it. You probly ceated the problem by laughing at it, she got a reaction, she keeps trying to get a reaction. I'd ignore it and if she tells you it again out of the blue, I'd probably say something like "That's too bad because I love you." and just leave it at that.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Exactly what IADAD said Detty...
You poor thing. Those little munchkins know exactly how to get us.

The best thing to do is shrug and say, " know you already told me, I still love you though" try to smile and go about your business I wouldn't say one more word on the subject.

If she learns she can manipulate you at 2 1/2 just wait until she's 5!! It's just a game with her, and she is in control,. of course she has NO IDEA what love really means and how she has hurt you.

Get a grip if you can, try not to act sad or pathetic lol... smile and don't give her any more reaction than just a simple sentence.

I hope this torture passes soon for you.

JackPeltz

Banned
Jun 17, 2011
I wonder where she heard such a phrase being said or what she thinks it means to "love" someone. While I agree with what has been said above, I wonder if she is trying to tell you something. Has there been any struggle in your relationship prior to her saying that she does not love you? Alternatively, it seems fairly natural that she is exercising her newfound autonomy, as painful as that is for you right now.

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
JackPeltz said:
I wonder where she heard such a phrase being said or what she thinks it means to "love" someone. While I agree with what has been said above, I wonder if she is trying to tell you something. Has there been any struggle in your relationship prior to her saying that she does not love you? Alternatively, it seems fairly natural that she is exercising her newfound autonomy, as painful as that is for you right now.
Nah, nothing as serious as that. At first, I think it was because she was mad at me for some reason (I didn't let her eat junk food, for example). And then came the announcement at the dinner table: I don't love my daddy! Well, of course, everybody (including me) laughed, and I think that's what got her hooked on the expression. It became a joke, something she would say to me for fun. And then it became a principle, something she couldn't go back on (that's the way she is).

Anyway, I'm a lot happier now. At night time, when I kiss her good night, I say "I love you" and she says "up too" (this was one of her first phrases. She means to say "I love you too" but back then she couldn't pronounce it, and it became "up too"). To this day, I don't think she realizes that it actually means "I love you too" - kind of like how we say "you're welcome" after someone says "thank you" rather than "thank you too".

At first I said "Oh, you love me? Does that mean you love me again?" to which she "no, I don't love you". So now after she says "up too" I just leave it at that.

It's funny. Just hearing the words makes me feel better - <I>even if she doesn't realize what "up too" means</I> - how things on the surface can affect us deep inside.

JackPeltz

Banned
Jun 17, 2011
Very cool. From what you described, it certainly sounded like a mix of a toddler exercising her autonomy and saying words she did not completely understand. Of course, laughing at her joke at the dinner table might have reinforced her saying "I don't love you," but I completely agree with you that it's not a relationship issue. I can also understand how it can break your heart. I have a 4 year old who will often go to my wife instead of me when she needs something, and I sometimes feel a little bad. But, her mother is the one that fed her for the first 18 months, so i imagine that their bond is different. In any case, I appreciated your post and am glad that things are going well.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I honestly think that it is completely just her milking the response she gets out of it. I remember when ODS had a bad dream about a bulldozer named Henry lol and we made SUCH a big deal out of his description of the dream that he repeated the dream to other people (who gave him a similar reaction) and talked about it for weeks!! Even to this day he STILL mentions his dream about Henry, I don't think he'll ever forget. And honestly, I don't think the dream was all that amazing, I just think that our reaction left a huge impression on his little mind. Anything we give a big reaction to is bound to be repeated in the future.

Really it is kinda cute, but in essence what she is saying isn't very nice and you probably wouldn't allow it if she said that kind of thing to say, Grandma or what have you because its just a little mean. It hurts your feelings and its not a very nice thing to say, or to encourage her to say like its funny. I personally would discourage it rather than play along. Playing along only encourages her to say it more. She obviously does love you, and doesn't "mean" it when she says that she doesn't. I think you know that. But she should know its not nice to say she doesn't love you. Every time she says it I would just say something like "You shouldn't say that, its not very nice" or "That's not a nice thing to say, that's mean" or "Daddy doesn't like it when you say that, that hurts daddy's feelings". And then if she DOES say that she loves you, make a huge deal about it and express to her how super happy you are that she loves you and hug her and kiss her and tell her that you love her to etc. I think even if it isn't an immediate fix, if you stay consistent she will eventually let go of the habbit because she will prefer the positive reaction to the negative one. :) Good luck and I know how you feel! The other day my ODS said that he had a mean mommy, and it made me feel terrible haha.

mommy

Jun 24, 2011
Let her grow out of it. It must be hard, but she's just doing it to test boundaries.

RainingCrumbs

Jun 25, 2011
i totally agree with IADad. She's just getting attention from it. People laugh, and people think it's funny. But once people start disapproving of it and once you start dismissing it and ignoring it, she'll eventually tell you that she loves you. My nephew loves farting, and he only loves farting because we always laugh every time he does. We don't like that he farts because they're real stinkers, but he loves doing it!

So just give her some time. she'll def grow out of it. But if she does anything else really funny, please let us know and submit your story on our site

rainingcrumbs dotcom

it's a collection of fun and cute children's anecdotes submitted by parents, and selected by all users. Check out. =)

Pljen6

Jun 26, 2011
children this young should be told I love you even when u say that u don't
don't give her the opportunity to see it hurts u
she can use it for future manipulation ignoring it for now may help
depending on child see what other opportunities to talk about feelings and how words r powerful for helping encouraging and for being mean and hurtful don't bring up the I don't love u let her make the connection