My first is off to kindergarden soon!...

parentingpink

Jul 24, 2008
Virginia
My "big girl" is getting ready to go to kindergarden and naturally, I have mixed emotions. I'm glad she's getting so independent, but I'm sad that our time together at home will be ending. They grow up so fast! How did you all deal with your child's first day of kindergarden? Did you cry, laugh, or celebrate :rolleyes:

TAR

PF Fanatic
May 30, 2007
NM
My first also started kindergarden this year, her first day was last Thursday... She loved it, and is so excited to go... I think that over shined everything I was feeling, The first day I was so scared for her, but she had so much fun and is loving it... So I can't help but be excited for her new experience!!! Now it may be that I sent her to Pre-K so we had a little bit of school experience but it was nothing like kindergarden (the school is big the kids there are big it is a whole different experience).. Good luck!!!

cmp

Sep 10, 2008
My last just started kindergarten! I have a daughter in high school and a 4th grader too. I think the last one was harder to let go than my first. I don't have my little buddy to keep my company anymore :(

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
cmp said:
My last just started kindergarten! I have a daughter in high school and a 4th grader too. I think the last one was harder to let go than my first. I don't have my little buddy to keep my company anymore :(
((HUGS)) I can't even imagine...I for sure want another baby before my son heads off to K. My daughter is in first grade now so all day school has been hard enough for me to get use to :eek:

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
My wife cried but I understand that. I celebrated. My wife looked at it as a loss in her life which makes sense since she has been the primary care giver. I looked at it as a step in the right direction. Children are supposed to grow up and accomplish things and become independent. That's how we know that we have succeeded. My wife's parents held her back and never let her experience the world. Mine pushed me to everything on my own I think that the trick is to find a happy medium and that is what ever you and your child feels comfortable with.

millerscow

PF Regular
Nov 10, 2008
Texas
I cried walking away, then dried it up and went about the day. Yes, it made me sad. my little helper/buddy/1st born was gone of to school. How's she gonna handle it? is she gonna behave?, a lot of feelings went through me. but i couldn't let them stop me from taking care of business---taking care of her sister, cleaning house, and paying bills, looking for a job w/paycheck.
I had to trust that she would be fine and if an emergency came up the school personnel could handle it and would notify me if i was needed.
no, i didn't celebrate--my baby was growing up and didn't need me anymore so i was sad. but i am proud of her and happy for her and was then. she's getting to be a big girl and growing up.
now my 4 yr. old will go off to pr-k next year. I will feel the same way with her the way I did with my 6 yr. old, but it still wont change things. there will still be housework to be done, bills to pay, and hopefully a new job w/paycheck to go to with it all, the only difference being that there wont be a little helper/buddy,the youngest there to do it with me. it will mean peace and quiet but it will also mean boredom and spending time w/people i don't want to be with and hours that aint mine to do as i please. but it will also mean my other baby is growing up and don't need me as much so i'll be happy for her and proud of her too, just as i was/am for my 1st born.