My son wants to have a sleepover...

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Unsure yet if he wants to go to his friends house or if he wants his friend to come over to our house. He just sorta brought it up as an idea the other day after having a play date with this boy. My wife and I just kind of looked at each other.

These people have gone to our church for years. There son has been in our son's Sunday School class. Our children are in the same Kindergarten class and the dad coached my son's Cross Country team. Vicki has taken Ben to their house for one supervised play date. They have a nice home in a nice neighborhood.

On the down side the boy has 1 older brother and 1 older sister. Don't know the dynamic. I don't know if they bully Nathan and would thus bully Ben or not. Even though these people have gone to church for years we don't really know them that well (we go to a large church). Nathan is kind of a spaz and a real boys boy where Ben is real sensitive and sweet. I'm kind of surprised that they are friends but they are.

Anyway I'm not sure how to handle this. I am really probably too security conscience but I don't want to stop him from having friends. I'm just not sure how comfortable I need to be or what I need to know about these people before I agree to a sleepover.

Any advice?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
One of the toughest things about parenting in my opinion. How far to loosen the strings. I would let him go, even if the older kids bully thier little brother, they most likly wouldn't your son. Sibling relationships are much diffrent the friends. Also allow him with the understanding that at any time he is uncomfortable he can call home and someone will come and get him, also give him a little leway in things you might see unapproriate in your home, people do do things differently, just stress what is a no go for you.

I think most of mine where around five when they spent thier first night away from home at a friends house, and 7 kids later it is still nerve racking!

P.S forgive my spelling and typo's I see them but am to tired to care :).

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree with 5 of us. And that would be a good time to talk to the other parents about it. If you get a chance to talk to the other parents just spell it out. I think its normal to feel anxious and since they have older kids they will probably understand.

DS first sleepover ended with him calling wanting to come home (just homesick) He was 5 also. Make sure he has a safety net and understands its OK to call and come home if he wants.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
Id invite the kid over. I would not be worried about the fact that the other id is a bit of a livewire opposites attract. As long as he is not nasty its all good. Why not invite the parents over for a drink or a meal? This way you will know them a bit better