My wife has the H word :(...

Pokerjay24

Jun 1, 2012
Hemorrhoids (spelling?)

She's in her eighth month of pregnancy and she discovered a painful bulging spot where the sun don't shine! She had a mild case of hems. after she gave birth to our first child .. It went away in about 3 weeks ..

I feel helpless .. She's in great discomfort and pain .. It also affects her sleep .. She's got the creams and stuff, and knows that she should take sitz baths, but still, her attitude is very negative because she dreads having to live like this for a full month .. She's having a hard time moving from point A to point B.

I feel this puts a negative vibe on the last month of pregnancy. Maybe i am dramatizing this more than it really is (worse things could happen).

Any hope that the hems. might subside in a few days time, for her to at least be able to function around the house? I'm no expert at this (clearly!), i've never had them .. I don't like seeing her like this:(

Thanks for your help and reassurance!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww haha, yeah pregnancy sucks just the way it is! I feel bad for her. Hang in there. A month sounds like a long time, but it will be over before you know it. Unfortunately, they tend to come back/get worse after birth of course due to the pressure and the strain. Then they should go away some time after that though. For some people it only takes a week, for others it can take months to get rid of them. There's no way of telling what will happen with your wife, as everyone is different.

Anyway, there are a couple things I can recommend. Tucks pads could make her more comfortable, I have heard many good things about them:

http://www.tucksbrand.com/

Also, has she actually talked to her OB about them? Dr will give her steroid suppositories that work like magic (or at least a sterroid cream). Those creams you can buy at the store are garbage. Don't let her be shy about telling the Dr she has them and wants treatment. I'm sure he is very used to hearing about them and seeing them. It's incredibly common.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Hemorrhoids are a common problem with pregnancy.

I agree that the best thing for your wife to do is tell her OB how painful they are and the Dr should help her.

And that last month is a killer for sure. It's like her stomach just gets in her own way, it's the worse as far as feeling uncomfortable and a painful hemmy doesn't help any.

Awww just be understanding and let the doctor help as much as possible.

Good luck.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
When I saw the title, I went to a completely different "H" word...just be glad this one doesn't involve a lifetime of appearing lesions....

I'm thinking for most women that last month isn't a real walk in the park. During first pregnancy, DW still craved "attention;-)" pretty much constantly, so good memories there. I barely even recall how the last pregnancy went...seriously.