My YMCA little brother......

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
Hey guys,
I just figured I would post a little bit on here about my YMCA little brother, since you all talk about your kids and stuff, and I haven't posted much about him. His name is Kieran, and he is 10. He is a foster child, living during the week on a farm about 20 minutes out of town. He never met his father, I think he lives in Florida or something. He spends the weekend with his mom in their trailor. She has another boy and a few girls I think, and im not exactly sure why Kieran is in Foster care, we haven't talked about it. I just get the feeling his mom sleeps around with a lot of random guys, and drinks a lot. She is pregnant again right now too. Anyway, the foster parents put Kieran in the program, and I got matched with him a few months ago. Hes a real good kid, but he does have a few annoying tendencies, which I *think* are normal for his age. First off, he lies a lot, about the weirdest things. You can tell when his story goes into "lying mode" just by his tone of voice. For example, he was telling me about his family going out to eat, and then he ended it by mentioning that they did this in a stretch limosine. Hes totally serious about his lies, but I do not call him out on it. I figure if I demonstrate trust in him he will eventually not feel the need to lie. Also, he has grown up with very little, so it might be his instinct to make stuff up to feel better. Is this a good strategy for me? Other than that hes well behaved, and a good kid. I just felt like posting this so you all know a little bit about him, in case I need to post more stuff in the future (im sure I will)!

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I think that it is very very cool that you're doing this. Feel free to post more about your experience.

I agree, don't dwell on any tall tales stories, it not really too uncommon for kids to fabercate the facts; most kids out grow it. Of course, it's very different if they steal something from a store, and say they didn't do it.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree, its very nice of you to do this for a child that needs a positve male roll model! So good for you and God bless you for it!

As far as the lying, I think you are handling it well now, but I think I would casually mention to him aftr he says soemthing like the limo part, that you would have enjoyed his story eve nif it was in a beat up old Chevy. And then leave it, he may come out of his shell

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
Kaytee said:
I agree, its very nice of you to do this for a child that needs a positve male roll model! So good for you and God bless you for it!

As far as the lying, I think you are handling it well now, but I think I would casually mention to him aftr he says soemthing like the limo part, that you would have enjoyed his story eve nif it was in a beat up old Chevy. And then leave it, he may come out of his shell
It might help when I get to know him a little bit more. Ive been seeing him on Sundays since October or so, it might be easier to talk to him once we know each other better.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
SpitNCobra13 said:
It might help when I get to know him a little bit more. Ive been seeing him on Sundays since October or so, it might be easier to talk to him once we know each other better.
it will eventually he won't feel the need to impress you and will most likely be more open and honest about things...I would say any child who is living in foster care is going to have some trust issues to overcome

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I would "lie" and tell him about how you quit being friends with "Lennie" (fake name of course) because Lennie would tell lie's and that really bothered you because friends don't lie to friends and let him see that it really upsets you by breaking your heart.
Then he may respect you enough NOT to lie. Worth a shot. (I hope all that made sense)