Names that didn't make it...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
What were the names that didn't make it for your kids?
Was there anything you wanted that your partner absolutely said no to?
Were there any names that your partner wanted that you wouldn't have?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Hmmm, Alexandra/Alexander was the runner up - Alicia was in contention for a girl

DW wanted a Colin - absolutely not by me because our last name starts with the "Colin..." sound and I thought it would sound like the poor kid was stuttering.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I pushed for Ophelia, just because I liked it, but my husband vetoed that one constantly because "All Ophelias in literature are crazy".

When we had Azriel we were told at the ultrasound that they were 99% sure that he was a girl, so he was going to be Penelope for a while there, after my grandmother (as Anindita is named after my husband's grandmother) then he popped out and we went "Okay... well that won't work" and my husband suggested 'Sasha' and I made a big fuss and went "No way, I don't like that name, I'm not having a child named Sasha, he will be picked on for having a name that has become more common on girls" (I blame post-pregnancy hormones for not realising that I was making that point to a man named Ashley) and Azriel didn't have a name for almost a week.
Then when Sasha came along I went "Hey remember when you said..." and my husband shook his head and silently walked out of the room.

But other then that we never had a lot of names just because we're terrible at agreeing on them. Persephone hung around for a while there but we decided that one Greek goddess name in the family was probably too much to begin with, let alone two.

IADad said:
DW wanted a Colin - absolutely not by me because our last name starts with the "Colin..." sound and I thought it would sound like the poor kid was stuttering.
I always wonder about the thought process behind names like Mark Markson or John Johnson. I don't get it.

That said, every time I was pregnant we had lots of jokes from FIL about naming the kid Corey, because our surname starts with Cor and the two together just sound really dopey and he thought that was hilarious. When we told him no he then threatened to change my husband's name to Corey.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Let's see I always wanted a DD named delijah blue. Some guy in high schools name was Danny Elijah, on his jersey it read as D. Elijah. I always found it cool lol (we never used it).

When I was pregnant with Ted it was a given he'd be names after my husbands dad that had passed a few years before I met him. Once though he suggested Lee Harvey....hmm kinda cool. Then I realized our last name (starts with an Osw lol), maybe not so cool.

Samantha was supposed to be Samuel Jacob, surprise it's a girl so we went with the female version of Sam.

Other then that I wanted to name one Tristan (Brad Pitt in that movie who's name I can't think of), but the husband wouldn't go for it. You'd think since I let the kid have Mangus as a middle name I could of had the first name.

After that we just couldn't really find names we liked so we let the kids in on the fun.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I wanted to name my son Atreyu, like that character on The Neverending Story. Also love the name Adria for a girl, but my husband was no fun on both counts.

Aimee McIntyre

PF Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
When Kate was born, I really wanted to name her after a Tennis great so Martina or Lindsay were my main contenders.

If I have another daughter then she will certainly be named Elena, named after Elena Baltacha who sadly died of cancer at start of week :-(.

As you can probably gather, Tennis is a big part of me lol, I love my Tennis, during Wimbledon, I am glued to tv for hours :).