Names...

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
DH and I are thinking of names for our second daughter who isnt too far away from arriving, theres a few months still, but at the rate were going she'll be 10 before we agree on a name.

The strange part is that we like the same idea for a name, not too common (being an Amy and a John there were quite a few of both of us in school, thats how I ended up being called Amy Belle, combining my first name with my middle name, Anabelle, because there were 3 Amy's with the same last initial in my year) but not ridiculous off the wall, and no funny spellings. So its not like were at loggerheads, its just that we sit around umm-ing and ahh-ing and no-ones passionate about anything. So we ask Rebekah what she thinks, and she just lists off the names of Disney characters, and im not too keen on having a daughter named Cinderella or Pocahontas.

My dads arent much help either, Dad keeps saying that the only girls name he's ever likes is Amy (yeah I know, brilliant help) and Papa Trent thinks its funny to side with Rebekah, so I get no serious response from him. DH's parents want a 'family name' from their side, seeing as Rebekah's middle name is Catherine, after my mother. Thing is the only ones there are Dorcas, which is just a big sign saying "HELLO, TEASE ME!" and Beryl, which is awful, and John and I have both agreed on no names from living relatives.

This week we discided just to list our 5 favourite names each, then combine the lists to see what appears in both, nothing does, but the same name idea is there pretty much, noen of us hate any of the names on each other's lists, but were not amazed by them either, so we wanted some outside opinions, so can anyone give us anything to think about on these? Name combinations, teasing potential, anything, because at the moment were at a big stop sign and were not moving anywhere.

John's List:
Lilith
Gabriella
Keely
Mabel
Patience

My List:
Paige
Abigail
Jasmine
Violet
Michaela

They all go with our surname, its just the name itself thats holding us back.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think they're all great except I honestly like like Mabel, I think that one kinda reminds me of an old waitress at a dirty dinner...lol. I'm sorry but you asked for honesty. I think whatever you guys choose will be great as long as the 2 of you are happy with it

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
They are all very pretty names. My husband and I had a hard time picking a name for our second child. We did something similar, but fortunately a few of our names matched.

I know this isn't really what you were looking for, but each of you should take a name from your list and then you have a first name and a middle name. Then the hard part would be deciding which name should be the first name.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
My kid was going to be Mabel. It was more for the meaning than anything. EVERYONE gave me a hard time. I think she could have pulled it off.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Mmm, Mabel is dropping to the bottom at the moment because we mentioned it to Bek and she said "Maple syrup? Are you going to put my sister on pancakes?"

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
My fiancee and I have names picked out for future children. They would be:

Lilly Renee
Layla Rose
Nathan Alan
Elijah Matthew

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Dadu2004 said:
My fiancee and I have names picked out for future children. They would be:

Lilly Renee
Layla Rose
Nathan Alan
<SIZE size="150">Elijah Matthew</SIZE>
:D Heyyy. Nice choice. :D

(literally, that's Eli's whole name. But the middle name is spelled with one T, like Elijah Mathew).

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Think like a child and try to come up with hurtful rhymes or similar sounding words and if you can then exclude the name if you can't then put it on the short list. Children can be cruel A name lasts forever.

Consider this. My Urologist's name is Richard Tapper. This is no joke. Imagine the pain that this man suffered as a child. Don't do this to your child and you'll be fine.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I feel like an idiot Phil, but I don't get it. I might be a little slow tonight. If it's inappropriate, you can PM me if you don't mind? Lol I am so sorry I'm being dumb.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Xero said:
I feel like an idiot Phil, but I don't get it. I might be a little slow tonight. If it's inappropriate, you can PM me if you don't mind? Lol I am so sorry I'm being dumb.
I sent you a PM if what I sent you doesn't suffice then PM me back or post to this thread.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
We wanted to use the name Sage for our girl but it didnt work with our last name. We did the same thing you are doing though. I have heard some people have there list and wait until they see the baby.

I wouldnt feel right making fun of the names you have picked. I know your asking but i just wouldnt feel right.

Bryan

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I don't like Patience because I don't like real-word names. Hope, Chastity, Grace, ect. I've never met a Grace that wasn't really fat. Makes the name seem like a joke.

Anya was almost an Abigail so I'm biased towards that name. :)
Though if you're looking for uncommon, it's shot up the name list recently. The year before she was born it was +500 but the year she was born it made the top 20 so I crossed it off my list.
(I'm with you. I grew up a Kris. Say Kris and 14 people turn around, both male and female.)