Nebraska law unintentionally leads to spate of teen abandonments...

eleventy1!!

PF Regular
Oct 1, 2008
Minnesota
This is part of an article that is in the New York Time online today. I cannot imagine leaving my kids, but then I have never had a teenager. I know that I was an easy teen, or so I am told, but I did argue with my parents and go through some of the typical power struggles. It is just so hard to understand how things could deteriorate with your teenage child to this extent.</SIZE>[/FONT]

OMAHA — The abandonments began on Sept. 1, when a mother left her 14-year-old son in a police station here.

By Sept. 23, two more boys and one girl, ages 11 to 14, had been abandoned in hospitals in Omaha and Lincoln. Then a 15-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl were left.

The biggest shock to public officials came last week, when a single father walked into an Omaha hospital and surrendered nine of his 10 children, ages 1 to 17, saying that his wife had died and he could no longer cope with the burden of raising them.

In total last month, 15 older children in Nebraska were dropped off by a beleaguered parent or custodial aunt or grandmother who said the children were unmanageable.

Officials have called the abandonments a misuse of a new law that was mainly intended to prevent so-called Dumpster babies — the abandonment of newborns by young, terrified mothers — but instead has been used to hand off out-of-control teenagers or, in the case of the father of 10, to escape financial and personal despair.

The spate of abandonments has prompted an outcry about parental irresponsibility and pledges to change the state law. But it has also cast a spotlight on the hidden extent of family turmoil around the country and what many experts say is a shortage of respite care, counseling and especially psychiatric services to help parents in dire need.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
The biggest shock to public officials came last week, when a single father walked into an Omaha hospital and surrendered nine of his 10 children, ages 1 to 17, saying that his wife had died and he could no longer cope with the burden of raising them. [/quote]
That one was really sad. This wife died not long after the baby was born, he lost his job, his 18 year old daughter graduated high school a year early and was helping take care of the family, but it just got to be too much for him.

I don't think dropping off older children is misuse of the law. If they're giving the children away before they get to the point of hurting them GOOD! Let them!

eleventy1!!

PF Regular
Oct 1, 2008
Minnesota
The case of the dad with ten kids is really heartbreaking. I agree that it's better to give the children up if you are going to abuse them otherwise but I think the best solution would be to seek other kinds of social support. Unfortunately, most people are unaware of the help that is out there.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
My grandmother got very sick when my father was a young child and my grandfather thought she was going to pass on. Not wanting to deal with raising 3 kids on his own he sent the kids to an orphanage and skipped town. Luckily my grandmother recovered and was able to get her children back. My dad never spoke to his father again until right before he died. My dad was 43 when my grandfather died. Tragic.

eleventy1!!

PF Regular
Oct 1, 2008
Minnesota
Did your grandparents then continue to raise their children together, after your grandmother retrieved them from the orphanage? That's just such a sad situation.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
eleventy1!! said:
Did your grandparents then continue to raise their children together, after your grandmother retrieved them from the orphanage? That's just such a sad situation.
No, nobody saw or heard from my grandfather again until just before he died. I guess he wanted to make amends for the wrong that he'd done. My dad forgave him and then the next day my grandfather died. I was just a baby and so I never met him.

Apparently he started another family. I met my aunt a few times and she said that he was a horrible man. He drank like a fish and was abusive so I guess we're all better of not having him in our lives.

eleventy1!!

PF Regular
Oct 1, 2008
Minnesota
Thank goodness your grandmother was able to get her family back. If my spouse did that, there is just no way I could let him back into my life.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
I was also blessed with two very good grandparents who even though I'm one of about 1000 grandkids have gone out of their way to make me feel special.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
AmyBelle said:
Now really, why have 10 kids if you cannot support them financially to begin with?
Because he could until his wife died. It's not like he was some drugged out loser. Life happens.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
That story makes my heart ache for that man. I can't imagine how it would feel. Just one crying baby can be overwhelming sometimes I can't imagine having that many young children to take care of without any kind of help.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
eleventy1!! said:
The case of the dad with ten kids is really heartbreaking. I agree that it's better to give the children up if you are going to abuse them otherwise but I think the best solution would be to seek other kinds of social support. Unfortunately, most people are unaware of the help that is out there.
You know what's funny about that is how hard it is to get help if you don't know how to work the system. When I was in serious crisis, I tried to get help. The place I called told me to move in with a relative. I said I didn't have any. the woman asked why I was living in that town then. WTF? You can't live somewhere unless you have family? I ran into one dead end after another. I was 45 minute walk from the nearest bus stop, but had no food or money for it. Contacted a food pantry, which could help me if I could walk the 45 minutes (despite being very pregnant nad having sciatic nerve problems) to catch a bus to do an intake. No way to help me get there or get teh stuff home. Couldn't get to Dr's appts, for the same reason... but had I been a senior citizen, there would have been help for that...
I was not able to get a single item to help with the baby...
Fast forward to somebody I know who just had her 4th kid. She knows too well how to work teh system, and when I watched her kids for her the other week, she had piles and piles of good for the baby that she had obtained from different groups...