Need a different point of view...

sandra holmes

Dec 11, 2011
Morristown,NJ
Hi Everyone,

I am a newcomer and this is my very first thread. My friend did introduce me to this forum :) i thank them for this.

I am facing a very peculiar situation and do need a different point of view to address my "Thoughts".

I also apologize because this is a fairly long post.

I have 2 children a son who is going to graduate next year and a daughter who will be in her senior high next year.

My son who is 17 year old son has grown up to be a Adonis himself. I am not overly stating but he indeed has grown into a handsome man. I had a family gathering the other day and my son by mistake had come without his shirt on. Since he is highly conservative and a STOIC guy in this age, he immediately covered himself even though it was just our family(including my friends and sister in law) . My sister in law commented that my son had become such a good looking guy that he could have any women in the world . To make matters worse , my daughter commented that she had seen my son's tool and he indeed could have any women . they all laughed and even though i felt light about the situation then I feel terrible and have not stopped thinking this. I confronted my daughter when we were alone and she said she was curious about him and has a strong crush on him.
I told this to my husband who made light of the situation as always and tried to tell me that our daughter was a teenager who was just being curious and "the comments" from my sister in law were purely funny.

I do not know what to do. i just cannot get it out of my head. I love my kids but i just am not able to get this out of my head. My son is a stoic guy who plans to move away and i have never seen him displaying emotion unless he is angry. He works all the time and plans to pay for his college by taking a year's break after graduation. I am proud of my kids but just cannot imagine this from my daughter. I am worried. am i overthinking? am i freaking out. :confused:<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI><EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI><EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Hi Sandra I'm sorry that no one has responded to your post as of yet, that's very unusual probably has to do with the holidays.. I'm sure you will be getting more responces soon.

If I'm understanding you post correctly you say that your daughter admitted having a crush on her brother? Are they biological siblings or step siblings?
have they always been raised together, (or did you marry a man with a daughter) I understand how you are uncomfortable with this, I would feel the same way.

Sisters usually don't feel that kind of attraction to their brother, And I'm more surprised that she would say so out loud. Curiousity is one thing when children are small, and in that case it's pretty normal but not as teenagers.

maybe if you give us a little more incite on your daughter we might understand her a little better.

sandra holmes

Dec 11, 2011
Morristown,NJ
Thank You Nancy , I do appreciate you getting back .

the Kids are mine, meaning i have had them with my husband only. This is the reason i freaked out. I also am keeping an eye on my daughter , just making sure she does not cross any privacy lines and am trying my best to get her to a counselor .

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I'm also sorry that no one has answered.

I'm not going to say that what your daughter did is normal. Maybe if she were younger it might be normal for her to have a crush on her older brother, but she seems too old for that now. However, without knowing your daughter, I think there is probably nothing really to worry about, but I think you are doing right to have her see a counselor.

Have you discussed with your son how it made him feel to have his sister say what she did?

holbo

PF Regular
Dec 30, 2011
Denmark
Just saw your post... Hmmm... not an easy one...

As a foreigner I am not completely familiar with the american education system, but as I understand it, your daughter is 16?

Questions

Jan 14, 2012
How old is your daughter? I do not think that it's right, but maybe she's still growing out of it.

DadofTeen

Jan 18, 2012
California
Hey Sandra, I'm not an expert or anything but curious to know (especially since you wanted a different point of view)...
-could your daughter have been doing that for attention?
-does she perceive him (your son) as your "favorite" child
-do they (your son and daughter) joke around alot?
-is she always really open about stuff
-could she have been pulling your leg?
-how much more detail did you have in the conversation?

Also, as far as your son is concerned...
-stoic? what do you mean by this?
-is he not moved by anything?
-does he respond to your questions?
-has he always been this way or is this sudden?
-what does being "stoic" have to do with moving away? - meaning, what's your real concern?