Need Advice - Daughter having hard time with Jealousy...

SingleDadNTN

Mar 28, 2011
&lt;r&gt;&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Hello All! My name is Rob and I am 25 and have a 5 yr old daughter. Her mother is not a part of her life so it’s just me and her. I have a g/f who has 3 kids (4,3 and 1.5) and it seems my daughter is having a real hard time. My daughter loves my g/f and plays very well with her 3 kids. The problems arise when her kids show my affection in the forms of hugs and sitting on my lap. My daughter has no problem interacting with my g/f whatsoever. It is just when her kids do the same to me. I constantly remind my daughter that she is my daughter and will always come first and I love her the most but I also ask her to please learn to share. I have never gone thru this so I am like a deer in headlights. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice for me? Thanks&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

SingleDadNTN

Mar 28, 2011
Well my daughter and I have been doing play dates with my g/f for the past 8 months and we have been dating for the past 3 months. We do not live together and we do not stay the night. We typically go over and just hang out or take the kids somewhere.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
That's good that you're moving your daughter slowly into this relationship. I would make sure that when your daughter is with the other kids that she's getting just as much (if not more) attention than your girlfriend's kids from you. Make sure you're taking time to hug and talk to her as well...you don't want her feeling left out. Keep talking to her as well letting her know that she will always come first in your life.

Jealousy is normal. You just have to move slowly and keep reinforcing in words and in actions.

SingleDadNTN

Mar 28, 2011
Ok sounds like I am doing the right thing. I personally feel that emotional abuse is the worst and I didnt want to do something that would scar or hurt my daughter.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Understandable...you just have to do what you think is right. When you look back, you're going to realize mistakes that you made...that's natural. We're going to screw up. Just do what you can and make the best decisions that you can. You're doing fine bud....hang in there.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I think Dadu said it well. I would only say the balance should be pretty obviously in favor of your daughter at this point in time.