Need some help...

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Ok, so we are FINALLY to the point where we are putting up stuff on our walls, but I need some help!

In our living room, over our couch is a gigantic space of nothingness.

I really want to do a black & white photo collection instead of a huge painting or something.

My question is - what should the photo collection be OF? There would be either 12 or 20 pics depending on whether I decide to do 8X10 or 10X13.

Flowers? Places? People?

Suggestions?

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
Snap shots of your family. Not like sitting down and smiling at the camera but like your daughter coloring. Really simple pics.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Why don't you and Hannah go out and take some black and white pictures of your favorite places.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
Why don't you and Hannah go out and take some black and white pictures of your favorite places.
that would be cool...I like the idea of using photos cause you could change them with your mood basically

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Lissa said:
If I do this, could I make them bigger without looking bad? I won't even pretend like I know anything about photography.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
hannah's mommy said:
If I do this, could I make them bigger without looking bad? I won't even pretend like I know anything about photography.
How many mega pixels is your camera? If it's 6 or 7, you should be fine.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
<r><QUOTE author="hannah's mommy;34942"><s>
hannah's mommy said:
</s>If I do this, could I make them bigger without looking bad? I won't even pretend like I know anything about photography.<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I love the idea of decorating with personal touches…like family photos over floral prints that are sold at Kohl’s.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I think Lissa’s idea of black and white photography is the best, because B&W is timeless, and all of the shots will go together. If you’re putting all color photos up, you’re going to get different colors, lighting…shadows…it might make your wall look sloppy instead of elegant.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>As for upscaling photos…you will lose quality if you try to make things too big. You could just take some pics now with a higher resolution so you can make them big when you print them.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT></r>

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I've blown up photos on my camera to 8X10 and I think they look great. My camera is a 7 mp.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
hannah's mommy said:
LOL, I don't even know. I barely understand how to work it. But I will ask my husband, he would know.
Your digital camera will say on it what the mega pixels (mp) are. If it doesn't say on the camera, the manual should say.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
On HGTV the other day, they used a calendar for the framed artwork. Like...they bought inexpensive nice frames, and then used a floral calendar for the prints. With matting, they looked really high end....so just pick a calendar with artwork you love :)

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I am definitley doing b&w, because I can change the matting to fit the season. (I am a little nuts and I change practically everything in my house based on what month it is).

I am just really not sure about doing the photos myself. I am not really a good photographer. And, I already have TONS of pics of the family all over the house in frames, I think I want something that is going to offset that. But, on the other hand, I want them to be interesting. That wall is the first thing people see when they walk in, you know?

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Lissa said:
Let her take the pictures too. They don't have to be perfect. :)
Yes, they do! This is a formal room. I have whimsical stuff and kid-friendly stuff everywhere else in the house. The living/dining rooms I like to look nice. Clean, and clutter-free.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Jack's boss' wife found some pretty pics online of flowers. She printed them out and framed them. You almost can't tell their not store bought.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
hannah's mommy said:
Yes, they do! This is a formal room. I have whimsical stuff and kid-friendly stuff everywhere else in the house. The living/dining rooms I like to look nice. Clean, and clutter-free.
I'm with you Kim!!

I know we're talking about you here, but I want these prints on my dining room wall. They are all the same size and theme, so will look great I Think,

I love the color and romance in them, and our walls are a nice neutral brown that will go great with red and color like these have.[/COLOR]

http://www.art.com/asp/display_artist-asp/_/CRID--6474/Bill_Brauer.htm?ui=01C5BCC852244BD0A1915FA5BC6554C1[/FONT][/URL][/COLOR]

Framed though, they will be about $150 a piece :-([/COLOR]