Need some opinions...

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I was just offered a position in another department.

It is a lateral move, but I would be able to learn a lot about a different aspect of the company. I know there are opportunities to advance over there, but I would be new so it would take longer, BUT that general area is where I want to end up. Also the hours are more flexible and I would be able to work from home more.

BUT, if I stay where I am there is about a 90% chance that I will get promoted again this year, and that would mean more $ in the short-term.

What do I do???

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Well is money an issue right now?

I think if the other dept is where you really want to be, then go for the lateral move. Being happy and satisfied in a job is worth way more than money. Even with good money, you'll still be bored or wishing to be doing something else.

Plus you don't know the promotion is going to happen. :) If you don't get it, you'll really kick yourself

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Go with your gut level feeling and ignore logic (and others) that suggests otherwise.

With that said, I've found that taking (legal\ethical) professional risks has always been the right decision long term. Sometimes the risks don't work out as planned, but I've never have regretted taking the risk.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
It is nice to just have options. I'm jealous.

Go with the move, you know you want to.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I would probably stay with where I was at and go for more money. Is there a way to bring the offer up to your boss and see if they can offer you something to keep you? I'm not sure about your economy where you live but the money would have my vote.
Whatever you do I hope it's everything you hope it to be. Good luck sweets. ((HUGS))

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
It can buy you things that can make you happy.
Maybe you can spend some of YOUR money on counseling Fooser.??

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
hannah's mommy said:
BUT that general area is where I want to end up
Out of all that you posted, from the long term perspective, this is what I recommend spending time thinking about. But for me, the bottomline is always go with your gut level feeling, and not spend huge amount of time trying to justify to yourself or to others that one choice is the right choice when it doesn't feel right.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I believe if you have a bad feeling about something it's better to not do it. It's like fighting against the current.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
FooserX said:
lol...like?

What can you buy that will make you happy every day?
Uh, liquor?

thanks for the replies guys. I need to talk it over with dh and see what he says, but I really think I might take it

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
FooserX said:
lol...like?

What can you buy that will make you happy every day?
A flat screen monitor, a jag, a shopping spree, a pool..........shall I go on? A trip to Missouri ;)

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Another consideration: I'm hearing that a lot of companies aren't granting as many raises this year due to the economy. Certainly true in major corporation where DH works. Just a thought...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
aliinnc said:
Another consideration: I'm hearing that a lot of companies aren't granting as many raises this year due to the economy. Certainly true in major corporation where DH works. Just a thought...
Yeah, that crossed my mind as well. I know that our company is drastically reducing raises this year due to the economic slump.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Have you done and pros and cons list? I find it an easy way to balance out everything. It doesn't always work sometimes though. Do what makes you happy. Money is great, and if your family doesn't have any money issues then you have more options. Congrats!

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Have you done and pros and cons list?
LMAO, when I met my DH I was dating another guy. For a brief while I dated both of them (all out in the open, each guy knew about the other). I made a pros and cons list to decide which guy to dump. We've been married 17 years now!

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
musicmom said:
A flat screen monitor, a jag, a shopping spree, a pool..........shall I go on? A trip to Missouri ;)

Is that all it takes for you to be happy? A flatscreen? A car? New clothes?

I never pegged you for superficial, but then again I didn't peg JT for being a crossdresser either...so my radar is pretty off.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I would pick the new position that I would be happier at although financial security does contribute to one's over all happiness. I'm not referring to buying expensive stuff. I'm talking about being able to fix your car when it is broken, or paying a traffic ticket.

If you aren't hurting on getting the bills paid etc. then I think you should go with the new position. You spend at least 40 hours a week at work. You spend more time with your co-workers then you do your family. Having a job you like will allow you to have more fun in your off time because you aren't stressed out at the end of day. So instead being stressed out while sitting in front of a big screen TV with your sports car parked in the three car garage you can be relaxed watching your 27 inch with your honda parked in your carport.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm superficial when I want to be. Shallow...blah blah blah all the human crap.
Is Peppermint Patty a boy or a girl anyway?