New Car Seat and Tire Recall E-Mail Notification Service...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
New Electronic Recall Notification Service Available through NHTSA

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently announced that consumers will be able to get important recall information about child safety seats and tires automatically e-mailed or sent to their PDA devices. Child safety seats and tires are part of this new electronic recall services since fewer consumers respond to these notifications on the whole. Visit http://www.safercar.gov[/URL] and click on the "e-mail" or "RSS" option to register for this new service. Consumers should still continue to register their child safety seats and tires directly with manufacturers.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I took my son out of his booster and he fits perfect. I just have a problem with him slouching now and the seat belt goes on his neck. I just keep reminding him. Thanks again for your help on the booster seat info.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
I took my son out of his booster and he fits perfect. I just have a problem with him slouching now and the seat belt goes on his neck. I just keep reminding him. Thanks again for your help on the booster seat info.

How old is he? Is he at least 4'9" tall? Does he pass the 5 Step Test?
Boosters Are For Big Kids

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
He passed the five step test but only if he doesn't slouch in the seat. So I'm stuck with putting him back in it or leaving him out.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
He passed the five step test but only if he doesn't slouch in the seat. So I'm stuck with putting him back in it or leaving him out.
I'd put him back in a booster. Sounds like he's not able to sit properly without one. My DS (11.5) just graduated out of his booster a few months ago, when he finally hit 4'9" and could pass the 5 Step Test. DD (9.5) will be in a booster for a long time yet. She's only 49" tall and weighs 51 lbs..

<U>The 5-Step Test. </U>1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat? </SIZE>[/FONT]
<SIZE size="150">2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat? </SIZE>
<SIZE size="150">3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm? </SIZE>
<SIZE size="150">4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs? </SIZE>
<SIZE size="150">5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip? </SIZE>

<SIZE size="150">Car safety for your 4 to 8-year-old: belt-positioning booster seats : Partners for Child Passenger Safety - Children's Hospital of Philadelphia</SIZE>

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Ohhh ok. He's almost 7 and I wasn't sure if it was an age thing as well. I felt bad like I was putting him in a baby seat. I feel much better now. He'll be back in it when I pick him up from school. Better safe then sorry. Thanks you.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
fallon said:
Trina, are there any sites that will show you pictures of the recalled seats?
There might be photos on the manufacturer web sites, but the model numbers still need to be checked. There are often different covers and versions of car seats, that it's impossible to go by photo alone.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Trina said:
There might be photos on the manufacturer web sites, but the model numbers still need to be checked. There are often different covers and versions of car seats, that it's impossible to go by photo alone.
I know...I just like to actually see the seat too because I have a few friends who don't really keep up with those thing:mad: and I would like to be able to at least let them know if I rec. the seat from recall pics :)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
Ohhh ok. He's almost 7 and I wasn't sure if it was an age thing as well. I felt bad like I was putting him in a baby seat. I feel much better now. He'll be back in it when I pick him up from school. Better safe then sorry. Thanks you.
Good idea. :yes: