New Homepage!...

sanjay

Dec 23, 2007
Hey Folks,

We will be launching a new homepage for PF

This is what it looks like: http://www.parentingforums.org/frontpage

We are doing this on all of our forums and it makes a big difference in making our sites appealing to new and existing members.

What is it?

Basically the FrontPage is a seamless integration of Vbulletin and Wordpress. It allows select members/mods to easily convert any thread into a frontpage article by clicking on "edit thread" in Thread tools. Once that is done there is an option to make a thread a FrontPage thread (or deselect it). Next their is a field for uploading an image that is then converted into a thumbnail on the FrontPage. The articles are posted in chronological order, but by selecting "use current post time" a thread will automatically be placed on the top. Or, by entering any other date, it is possible to move articles around. None of the time-stamp changes will change the thread in any way.

This process only takes around 45 seconds per thread so it is way easier than my description makes it seem.

When you click on an article you will notice that the first post looks like any standard blog article, but instead of wimpy comments, a viewer can actually follow full threaded discussion and jump right in at any time.

Members get excited to see their content on the frontpage and non-forum users are more likely to register if a site is less imposing than the standard ugly forum index.

Right now only I can turn threads into articles, but those of you supermods who are interested should volunteer so I can give you permissions.

Once I add someone to either the Frontpage Reporter or FrontPage Editor group- they will be able to see a Frontpage subforum. Reporters can write articles in that private forum and wait for a Frontpage editor to publish it to the FrontPage. FrontPage Editors can convert any thread in any forum into a FrontPage article. I personally believe that this forum generates enough good member content so we don't really need to have volunteer reporters, but every forum is different. Also, if a thread is made in the private forum then the comments can only come in from the FrontPage. If it is a thread in an open forum then people can either comment from the FrontPage or the forum.

The system is brand new and may have a few quirks so please be patient and just report the glitches in this thread so we can address them.

We are ready to go live once I see that some of you have seen this thread and hopefully request to be FrontPage editors.

Thanks for your patience and please feel free to ask questions. I realize that change on a forum is always difficult, but this tool makes a big, positive difference in how a site is regarded. If our grumpier members hate it, they can always just bookmark the forum and ignore the FrontPage.

Sanjay

sanjay

Dec 23, 2007
so do either one of you want to help turn member threads into articles? Let me know and I will give you the right permissions.

sanjay

Dec 23, 2007
Great! Since you volunteered first you can make the announcement to all of the members by writing the launch article.

here's what you do:

1. Go to the FrontPage subforum and make a thread titled: New Homepage! or something like that.

2. Write something up like a normal thread.

3. Submit the thread.

4. Find an image that you believe relates to your thread like this: https://wsrp.dev.java.net/public/image/new.jpg

5. Now go back to your thread and use the Thread Tools function to 'Edit Thread'

6. Check off the box that says "This is a frontpage thread"

7. Upload the image

8. Set Post time to now. That way your article will be the big one on the top.

Let me know if you are having any issues and I will get them resolved.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
K, it looks like it worked, but I don't see a preview of the first few lines or words of the article...not sure if I'm supposed to. :)

Nevermind..it's there now.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I have to tell you, the longer I look at this new page the more I'm falling in love with it. It's so professional looking...what a great change. I think people will love it!

sanjay

Dec 23, 2007
Dadu2004 said:
Other thing...the menu bar overlaps the Google ads on the top.
It looks fine on Firefox and Opera and it should soon be all set for Explorer too. By Monday it will probably be live.

When you first load an article be sure to load it on the frontpage so the preview text shows up for everyone. This only has to be done once per article then everyone will see it thereafter.
http://www.parentingforums.org