Lafayette, CO
New Zealand SIDS Death Rate Decreases

New statistics released by the New Zealand Ministry of
Health show that the national rate of Sudden Infant
Death Syndrome (SIDS) fell by 70% after an educational
campaign in wrapping mattresses with special
polyethelene covers was begun. The program began after
research by a NZ scientist showed a link between SIDS
and the toxic fumes emitted by mattresses.

According to the statistics, NZ Maori babies are 10
times more likely than NZ European (Pakeha) babies to
die of SIDS.(2) Following the implementation of
mattress-wrapping by the Pakeha community over the
last eleven years (with an 85% reduction in their SIDS
rate), New Zealand has the highest inter-ethnic SIDS
disparity of any country in the world.

In contrast to the US and UK, where back sleeping has
been adopted as a method to prevent crib death, New
Zealand began to publicize mattress-wrapping in 1994,
with the practice widely adopted. Since then, the rate
of deaths on unwrapped mattresses has continued to
increase, while no deaths have been reported for
babies sleeping on wrapped mattresses. Another
advantage to this solution is that babies can sleep in
a variety of positions and not suffer from
plagiocephaly, or flattened heads.

The results of the New Zealand mattress-wrapping
program have been published in two peer-reviewed
journals of environmental medicine(3) and far exceed
the results of any other SIDS prevention program in

Notes

Source of statistics: New Zealand Ministry of Health
(final statistics to 2001; provisional statistics for
2002 and 2003; progress counts for 2004 and 2005).
NZ Maori SIDS rate: 2.0 deaths per 1000 live births;
NZ European/Pakeha SIDS rate: 0.2 deaths per 1000 live
births.
Journal of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine
2004;14(3): 221-232. Zeitschrift fuer Umweltmedizin
2002; 44: 18-22.
For further information, see: www.cotlife2000.co.nz[/URL]

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I have learned this info about a year and a half ago. I found it scary enough to buy and organic mattress for our family.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
<SIZE size="125">You know, even the fact that laying babies on their back reduces chances of SIDS makes sense now. This way they inhale much less of the gas and more of clean air, so there is less chance that they will get a high dose of the toxic gas that can kill them.</SIZE>

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
&lt;r&gt;&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Personally, I do not think that this is the only cause of SIDS. I think things like (hormones, antibiotics, pesticides in mother’s diet, heavy metals (food and cook ware), poor nutrition (formula), vaccines (toxins and heavy metals injected directly into bloodstream, environmental toxins contribute greatly as well. But still, when we are talking about baby inhaling the toxic gas from the mattress for at least 14 hours DAILY…&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree, it is more then one thing, but its nice to be able to reduce the risks when you can.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kaytee said:
I agree, it is more then one thing, but its nice to be able to reduce the risks when you can.
that's how I feel as well.

You know, now that long ago we had a free lead check for toys action. We took toys and also three mugs that my husband bought recently from Target (HOME brand). Thanks god, the toys were lead free. BUT the two mugs (out of three) had 25,000 (twenty five THOUSAND) lead in them (while 200 and more concidered to be high). I was absolutely shocked! I threw away all our dishes and bought expencive lead-free pottery.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="jenilouise;23194"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
jenilouise said:
&lt;/s&gt;That is very scary.&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="darkred"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;it is scary, isn't it?!&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="darkred"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;you know, I moved to the US just five years ago. In Russia (where I'm from) there are no anti-flammatory chemicals in mattresses and pillows. As a result you do hear about a death or two once in few years when a drunk person would smock in bed and fall asleep. But this is SO very rare. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="darkred"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;So, to prevent this death or two, in the US they put all these super-toxic chemicals in the mattresses and pillows. The chemicals are toxic as it is, plus in combination with fungus (that normally grows in mattresses) it releases very toxic gases. As a result, babies die from SIDS, people get cancers and so on and so on. Sometimes I just feel like screaming “is there any common sense in our crazy culture???!!!!!!!!&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Common sense- I don't think it is fashionable these days to possess it. Just look at Britney Spears. But yeah I have never been as disgusted as I was when I steam cleaned my mattress.