New to site - Aunt raising nephew with PDD-NOS...

auntofPDD

Mar 4, 2012
Hello. Just joined the site. I'm raising my 9 yr old nephew who was just diagnosed with PDD-NOS. To say the least it's been exhausting, frustrating, and has turned my world upside down. I guess the hardest part of it is the behavior. Last school year was an absolute disaster. I was up at the school every other day. This year they moved him to a new school with a great teacher and he has minimal behaviors but at home he is a nightmare. Argumentative, screams, hollers, tears things us, jumps up and down, fits, and a lot of the times it's over just not getting his way - even though he has had the same rules and consequences for almost 2 years now. How can he control it at school and then meltdown constantly at home? My husband and I have tried everything the drs, psychiatrist, schools have suggested with very little results. Is he just testing us?

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
He feels safe with you.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, and it doesn't help with the situation, but it is the "glass full" way of seeing it, if nothing else.

There are some parents on this site who have experience with autism. I don't have first hand experience with it, so I'll leave those answers to those who do.

Hang in there.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I will think on this for a while. But with those diagnoses I am not sure.

One thing that has been effective for both of my kids. More notable my DD. Is identifying the onset of her meltdowns. Then redirect. This does not eliminate the unwanted behavior but it reduces both the occurrence and severity of them.

We have had a lot of success with this. The school has also adopted this approach and has been using it with us having a lot of success for a couple of years now.

Generally the unwanted behavior is a <U>process</U> that has an identifiable pattern. Typically DD would do some things that indicate a meltdown was building. These things would repeat at the onset of other meltdowns. AS SOON as we see these signals we change what she is doing. Normally take her by the hand and take a walk. That has been effective the most. But when that is not an option we do other things to distract and change her focus.

The problem has always been with us that her meltdown gain momentum and once they get to true meltdown stage there is nothing we can do to intervene at that point. Just have to let it burn itself out.

I dont know if there is a formal name for this or if there is a SOP (standard operating procedure) for implementing. Its just something we picked up on our own.

It does not fix anything. It does not eliminate them. It only reduces the amount of time and many times can avoid them. Its more of a strategy than a fix.

I will think overnight and see if I can come up with something more helpful in the morning.

Oh and yes he is testing you. They are always testing you.

Last edited: