Newborn with a cough?...

Jschneier

PF Regular
Aug 8, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My 7 week is suffering from a cold. No fever and I already called the doctor who said I should probably just wait it out at home. Does anyone have any natural remedies that they have used on their infants to help relieve their discomfort (I have already done the steamy shower.)

Funny note, the doctor when I spoke to him said to put on a humidifier or alternatively he said I could just open the window because it is SO humid in NYC:)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well he's probably right, the air conditioning is zapping the humidty out of your air, and probably making the little one's throat dry.

I'm amazed that any doctor woul dtell you that over the phone. Most are so concerned about liability that if you raise a concern, they want to see them before they comment, just to cover themeselves from the liability. I would say if the baby starts to throw up from coughing, I'd be in to see the doctor, otherwise, just keeping the humity higher, keeping the liquids going (do they take bottles? or just breast? the only reason I ask is becasue if they're taking bottles, I'd think you could give a little water in between feedings to keep the throat moist, but you probably don't want to alter the feeding schedule otherwise.

The only other thing is to lay them down so their head is elevated (if you can do so safely, no pillows in the crib yet...)

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
You should never give a young baby water unless directed and over seen by a doctor.

Did the steamy shower work at all?

Do you have any pets or do people smoke in the house?

Do you use any harsh cleaning chemicals or things with strong fragrances in the house?

Flynn has always been allergic shake and vac, when he was a small baby he coughed for months as it takes a very long time to get every last bit out of the carpet, we had to change the carpet in our bedroom so he could sleep better.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
IADad, it is reccomended that babies have no plain water until 6 months of age (or maybe its a year, I don't quite remember, but you can look it up). It can actually be very dangerous. I know, sounds weird since its just water, but its completely true.

Yeah it stinks because there's not much you can do with babies that little when they get sick. :( The humidifier always really helped my son when he had a cough. Johnson's makes a vapor baby bath but I'd have to go check the bottle because I think it might even be for babies 6 months and up, but once kids get bigger that stuff is amazing. I don't know the age on the baby Vicks vapo rub either, but I like to use that stuff.

Hope the baby feels better soon. :)

EDIT: oops, sorry IADad I forgot to hit the reply button after typing this out for like a half an hour lol. I walked away from the computer then came back and clicked.

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
using the nose sucker thingie often, steamy bathroom couple times a day and you can try rubbing some infant vicks rub on her feet and putting socks over (I used to swear by it). Make sure you listen to her chest here and there (put your ear to her back) if you hear rattling it's time to get her in for sure because it's turning into something worse.

Jschneier

PF Regular
Aug 8, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Ugh, he still is coughing and it doesn't seem to be getting better. The doctor still says to not come in and I am beginning to think I need a new doctor.

I breast feed and he refuses to take a bottle so water is definitely not going to happen.

Sigh...poor little guy isn't getting much sleep.