night terrors...

macoops

PF Regular
Jan 4, 2011
Wisconsin
Does anyone have any information about Night Terrors? When they usually start. Any tips to avoiding them? Jackson's almost 5 months and he's been crying a lot in his sleep. It just started this past week and it's very abnormal.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
It sounds like he might be having some growing pains. Night terrors are extreme, crying screaming, they appear awake yet they aren't. If it was night terrors you would be thinking that there is/was something horribly wrong with your baby.

Try a little pain reliever before you put him down for bed at night and see if that helps.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree with M2M. :) Could be anything from growing pain, to teething, to wanting to eat extra due to a growth spurt that has him up crying. I agree with the thought of trying some pain reliever, or maybe some Hyland's teething tablets. They're all natural and whether he's teething or not they have great stuff in them for sleeplessness, restlessness, and irritibility etc.

My son has had a few night terrors in his little life, and actually I am thankful to say that he has not had one in ages. Not since he was under two I want to say. Let me tell you, you don't have to be educated to be able to tell the difference between regular crying and a night terror. It is one of the scariest things I've ever seen my son do. I would hear him wake up crying in the middle of the night, usually shortly after going to sleep (which is the time when night terrors happen, not usually later in the sleep cycle) and he would just scream this horrible scream. My husband and I would go running in there and usually, if it was anything else, I could pick him up and comfort him and get him what he wants and he would be fine and calm down. But the few times it was a night terror he would just continue to scream and scream and nothing I could do could snap him out of it or calm him down. :( Its scary because there is absolutely nothing you can do but wait for it to end. Its like they can't tell you're there.

I'd have to say that the only thing that sticks out in my mind about what triggered them was that he usually missed his nap on those days. I think it can be caused by messing up the sleep pattern, but I'm not sure. I would just make sure he gets the sleep he is supposed to and it should be fine. Also, only some kids ever even experience night terrors, not all. So there's really only some chance that he'll ever have them. :) But if you ever do have to go through a night terror with him, you will know its happening trust me!

macoops

PF Regular
Jan 4, 2011
Wisconsin
I have given him some pain med. the last few nights. I'm not sure if I am really seeing a difference. I feel bad giving him medicine unless I know he really needs it though :( thanks for the advice though. I did a little research on night terrors and it defiantly doesn't seem to be that.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Just a note about the Hyland's teething tablets.... There has been news about them recently, and they have been recalled... do a google search on them and see what there is to see. Here is the link to the recall on Hyland's website: Hyland's Teething Tablet Recall

I used to use them too... I guess I was fooled by the "all natural" aspect of them. The stuff I read about them since the recall was a real wake up call for me to make sure I do my research!

Hope your little guy is feeling better soon. Night terrors are NOT a fun thing!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well, its hard to find anything 100% all natural and absolutely 100% proven safe, you know? I just know they're closer to natural than a lot of things, and I try not to be too paranoid. :p If I was, I would never use, buy, or eat anything at all lol.

I read the recall. It was voluntary, which means it wasn't anything too bad and they just did it on their own. It also says that there hasn't been an actual conclusion that there is actually a problem with them for sure. It was just something to do with an FDA inspection of their manufacturing facility.

There's nothing too worrisome about that recall, IMO. I haven't used the tablets in a year or two anyway, but you know. Once they come back out from recall, I will buy them for my next kid too. Just like I will continue to buy kids/infant liquid Tylenol as soon as it comes back out from recall. There's no difference. Places mess up all the time, no factory or company is ever perfect. Working in retail, I have seen that just about everything gets recalled once in a while. It really doesn't mean anything most of the time.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
My daughter had horrible night terrors when we moved her from her crib to her big girl bed. they got so bad we moved her back to her crib for a while, and they stopped. (She was just over 2 at that time). I don't think you have much to worry about, its prolly teething. Like Xero said, if they were night terrors you would definately know! Hope he gets better soon! Keep us updated!

macoops

PF Regular
Jan 4, 2011
Wisconsin
I think maybe it was a growth spurt thing. I tried feeding him more during the day and a couple more ounces right before bed and that seemed to help. He was whimpering a little but not nearly as badly as it was. Breaks my heart to see/hear him cry :( Poor little guy

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
<r>I guess with the teething tablets, what I didn't realize, is that they had belladonna in them. And since it is 'homeopathic' it's not really regulated by the FDA. The part that really got to me was that the Hyland's teething tablets were found to have "varying" amounts of belladonna. I guess I am particularly sensitive to this because I know someone who was permantly damaged by consuming belladonna (read as, he was completely nuts for the rest of his life). The FDA put out a warning against using the Hyland's teething tablets and Hyland voluntarily recalled them. This is what the FDA said about them <URL url="</s>Hyland’s Teething Tablets: Questions and Answers<e></e></URL><br/>
<br/>
But like I said, I used them with my first son, and he isn't completely nuts (well, most of the time he isn't!)</r>

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I guess I don't really know what belladonna is? I will have to read about it some.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
it's a drug - as I uderstand it, it basically "gorks" you out - they use it a lot for nuerological conditions, like parkinson's (or they used to) so you stop shaking as much, but then you stop doing a lot as much...

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Macoop your baby is absolutely beautiful. lol

I just hate that when you find something that works for your child and you have confidence in it than something pops up on the news or someplace and it just stinks. It's hard to find something you feel good about giving your child.

I too always used Tylenol for Max, there weren't any warnings on it than and he took it all his young life, even as a preteen. I trusted it completely. I stopped using it today for me and him. He doesn't seem to have any problems that I can tell.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
IADad said:
it's a drug - as I uderstand it, it basically "gorks" you out - they use it a lot for nuerological conditions, like parkinson's (or they used to) so you stop shaking as much, but then you stop doing a lot as much...
I had it once to treat excess stomach acid, it was quite fun really

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Weird!!! I don't know about all that haha. I wonder if they will get rid of it in the teething tablets then, if that's true they put that weird stuff in it. :/ :/ Ew.

Nancy - You wouldn't notice any problems in either of you guys because there was never anything regularly/all the time wrong with Tylenol that would cause you to have any problems. It was some kind of contamination that only happened to certain lot numbers, at the certain time that it happened. Even with that, they don't have any documented cases of it hurting anyone. They just took it back because they sure as heck can't sell accidentally contaminated stuff.

BrownDog52469

Jan 11, 2011
Night terrors....I cannot remember a time when I did not have them. Thrashing about in my sleep and yelling.....scared the crap out of my wife on many an occasion.

Just be there for him when they occur to comfort him until he reaches the age when he can understand that they are only a dream and not real.

Prosvetlen

Jan 13, 2011
I don't have any personal experience with night terrors yet: my son is 2 years and 8 months old, but, thanks God, I don't think he got night terrors. What are the symptoms? Thanks.