Night Time training...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
So, those of you who've been through it, help me out.

We obviously went through this with DS1, but he had like one accident ever and that was it, easy.

DS2, he was good for a while, seemed like training was complete. Then he started having nightime wettings to the point we put him back in pullups at night. We've tried to be really consistent about potty before bed, and nothing to drink for an hour or so before bed, some morninggs he's wet some dry. We can't be mad at him, I know it's happening in his sleep. I suspect it's happening only moments before I get him up. So, do we just stay the course and wait for him to grow out of it? Does it help to get him up at night, or wake him up early to pee? or is that just circumventing the problem and not really helping him modify the habit? Thoughts ? Idea?

He's 4ys 2 mos.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't have much experience on the topic, but I am about to approach the same thing with Eli so I wish us both the best of luck! I am going out to pick up a waterproof mattress cover and some night time pull ups today, and we're going to give it a shot. If he does good in those for a while, then we'll give underwear a shot. Honestly, he's really sick of wearing a diaper to bed and he constantly asks me to go to bed in his underwear. He really wants to, so I figure why not start trying? I guess he's old enough, and he wakes up dry so often that I have big hope for him. I know every kid is different though, and some kids need to wear pull ups/good nights until they are much older just due to the way their bodies work, you know?

Basically what I am going to do is drill into his head that its okay to get out of bed at night to go potty, and its okay to wake me up for help if he needs it. I will keep a night light in the bathroom for if he ever decides to go without my help, so he wont be scared and he wont necessarily have to turn on the big light (which he has trouble reaching anyway). I'll explain all the rest of what is going on and what we are trying to accomplish too. He loves to be proud of himself. :) Other than that, I do plan on waking him up once about halfway through the night to start with, to have him try to pee. I watched my mom potty train at least three kids haha and she always woke them up once at night to keep them dry. Its a pain, but not that bad really, and eventually all of the little ones she did that with just naturally started doing it on their own without her help, if they needed to pee at night. I think that you doing it for them at first is just a great way to get a good habbit started, you know? I will also try to limit his liquid intake a while before bed. I figure we'll have a reward system of some type too. I think I'm going to get a basket to keep on top of the fridge with cheap little rewards for him to pick from on days he wakes up dry. Stuff under a dollar, matchbox cars will be great for that, some favorite candy, other random little toys and treats etc. I think I'll get that stuff while I'm out today too.

So wish me luck! And good luck to you!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Is it a new things or more of a hit and miss kinda thing.

If it's not new and medical has been ruled out I would just stay the course. Some kids just don't have the ability to hold it for long periods of time, and then some little ones just sleep so deep that even though their bodies need to pee the little one can't wake up enough to recognize it. I would try waking him in the middle of the night at about the same time and try to train his brain and body to wake up and recognize his need to pee. Other then that, it will really happen when he is physically ready for it to happen.

kathywhite

PF Regular
Feb 19, 2011
Findhorn, Scotland
we lifted our 8 year old out of bed until last year. If we didn't, 3 or 4 times a week she had "an accident", pull ups were a back up. we found carrying her to the toilet (half asleep) and putting her back to bed, as quietly as possible when we went to sleep at around 11pm (common call to each other was before going to sleep - Have you done B? doing B being carrying her to the toilet). Then she started waking up herself and going. still does. Our boy 4 just was dry at night from the time he came out of nappies. different bladder sizes, different sleep patterns (can't wake up) who knows. I just offer that as our solution...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well, it's not terribly recent, and we haven't had him check specifically for anything medically, he doesn't have any problems during the day, other than a few poop issues, where he will either wait to poop until it's too late (i.e. too busy with TV or play) or he'll confuse passing gas for needing to poop, but those are rare and just a growing up thing I think. Also, at times he'll go poop and not tell anyone, so won't get wiped then have a little soining problem in his underwear. But all that doesn't really concern me, it's just a phase.

Last night, he fell asleep early (in a chair) i put him to bed, then went and got him up to pee before I went to bed and he was dry this morning. I think we'll try that for a while, see if we can set up some rhythm....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Eli every now and again will have the rare poop accident too. Its like every couple of weeks he'll do it, and its only a little bit because he holds it for too long before going. :/ He's always upset about it too, I think he's just a little confused with when is too long to wait. I think he's getting better at it all the time lol.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well I officially feel like I wasted $16 on a pack of night time Pull-Ups lol. Ever since the night that I told him it was time to be a big boy and not go pee in his pants at night, a few days ago, and that we didn't need to use diapers anymore etc, he has been completely dry every single night with no problem! I haven't even had to wake him up halfway through the night like I thought I would. So far he generally just goes the whole night without needing to use the potty, but one night he woke up and said he had to pee, went, and got back in bed lol. Things are looking good, other than my pretty much flushing $16 down the drain! :p But its okay, I will still keep them around just in case he relapses or starts having accidents for some reason in the future so its not a total waste. I think I will let him start wearing his big boy underwear to bed on Monday night! :) I can't believe my baby is getting so big! -tear- -sniffle- D;

stepmom_mom89

Mar 13, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have to stop all liquids at 6pm for my daughter in order for her not to wet the bed. It seems mean at first but he will get used to having to stop that early, if he absolutely needs something to drink give him an oz or 2 of water only.