No dirt bike for Alexander......

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
Well, it's just not going to happen. Alexander was given a list of chores to do every week, ranging from doing dishes or cleaning the living room to cleaning out the van and mowing the front yard (it's a small yard). He was ok the first few days, but has started whining about how hard it is and not doing the job, so it's out... Bummer, because I really wanted to get him one too. His adult cousin Tim races dirt bikes and had promised to teach him how to ride one. It would have been a great experience.

Does anyone have any suggestions where this might go from here? I really want him to have to work for this and understand some things have to be earned in life. Tim suggested we take him out and let him ride one a couple of times to get him hooked. So far he's taken Alexander for a couple of rides, and we watched him race, but that's it.

Kevin

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well, just because it can't happen right now, doesn't mean it can never be.

Can you let the smoke clear on this one, Take a look at maybe a smaller goal for something else he wants, set some tasks and help him to win at a more modest effort, then maybe you can revisit the dirt bike once he's seen what work can bring him and matures a little.

One added benefit, is that it give you more time to shop for a deal. I'm guessing that dirt bikes probably become a lot cheaper in say, November or December in Indiana. Now, I know he can't probably ride much then, but maybe you could purchase it then and keep it secret until he can earn it in say the spring....

Scott

Jun 19, 2011
Hi Kevin. I think it's great that you're trying to teach your son that you must work for things in life. Not only will it cause him to not be spoiled, but it is a very valuable (and very true) lesson to learn. Based on what you wrote, I think I would wait a bit and then give Alexander one more chance. I also like the idea of letting him try to ride the dirt bike, which should give him an incentive to work hard for it.

RainingCrumbs

Jun 25, 2011
Maybe he doesn't really want a dirt bike that badly...

haha...maybe you can do a system where instead of doing a lot of chores for one big thing, he does some small stuff to get parts of it. Sort of like what IADad said.

What I mean is that, let's say you divide the whole bike into sections. and if he does chores XYZ for W about of days, he gets the front wheel. And then the back, and then the handle bars. haha...Actually, start with a helmet and elbow pads first.

and then maybe you can teach him that you have to slowly earn things and eventually teach him patience too while enticing him with each new piece. It'll be funny if he only does it half way and is stuck with a unicycle. =P