No more cursive writing?...

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
I just saw where Indiana has decided not to teach cursive writing next year for elementary students in favor of keyboard skills. I can't say I'll really miss it and I can't remember the last time I wrote in cursive other than a signature.

The only constant is change, I guess...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
They teach both here, if you handed in a hand written piece of work in the UK and it wasn't in cursive (joined up as we call it) it probably wouldn't be marked. We don't start touch typing lessons until about seven though.

ginalfish

Jul 7, 2011
I taught high school English before becoming a SAHM, and I noticed that very few kids could read my cursive handwriting on the board. I finally asked them about it and they told me that they did one unit on cursive writing in fourth grade and it was never revisited or encouraged. I guess handwriting is a dying art form.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Most young people can't even read cursive any more, of my teens only one can and the others just fumble through whatever I write. I almost never print, cursive is much faster, but even in my day it was something I worked at in my spare time.

Cursive is touched on out here, but it's not really part of the teaching process. It's quite sad but with computers people rarely hand write anything. Vanna (7) has a hunger to learn cursive so I have been working with her.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I sort of hybrid print/cursive. The only think I do solely in cursive is checks (which I write few of these days) my signature (which I did 127 times last night) and greeting cards/thank you notes (if I remember to think about doing it.)

They taught cursive in 3rd grade here last year, I don't know their plans to use it next year...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, and I guess I'd rather they spend more time with "there/they're/their, and to/too/two" and crusading for the banishment of "anyways" and "I've got."

The internet (and the world in general) would be a much better place for it.

Last edited:

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
The fact is that Dylan was right. The times, they are a changin' Cursive writing is about as relevant today as a butter churn is. It's a leftover remnant from days past that for some reason people don't want to let go of. It's kind of like Reaganomics.

Put is this way; does anyone here remember 'the new math?' People really don't use it, it's hard work to read what most people have written with it, and it's even harder to learn. Why should kids have to learn two alphabets when that time could be put to better use learning something else like long division.

Besides, ever try to write cursive left-handed? It's torture.

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
IADad said:
oh, and I guess I'd rather they spend more time with "there/they're/their, and to/too/two" and crusading for the banishment of "anyways" and "I've got."

The internet (and the world in general) would be a much better place for it.
And as long as they're at it, the could work on loose, lose, looser, and loser.

Plus my own personal flaw, ending every sentence with three dots...

Last edited by a moderator:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
kdryan said:
And as long as they're at it, the could work on loose, lose, looser, and loser.

Plus my own personal flaw, ending every sentence with three dots...
hey, the ending in ellipses is my trademarked move...and I only do it on the internet...and in email...and texts...

Last edited:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
They taught us cursive pretty hardcore when I was in grade school but we also had computer/typing classes. Honestly though, it didn't stick with me. I can read it and I know how to write all of the lowercase letters, but I am lost as far as upper case cursive letters go. I'm kind of ashamed to admit it lol, its sort of sad. Its just that I only use cursive to sign my name. I think its a little sad its dying out, but at the same time I don't think I'll miss it too much.

Jeremy that's funny you guys call it "joined up" - that makes so much more sense haha.

All of those grammar mistakes metioned by IADad and kdryan - those all drive me crazy!! Specifically lose/loose ugh.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
It has not officially been cut from the curriculum here, but only a handful of the high school students that I've taught here could read or write it.

I'll admit that it isn't significant relative to a lot of other things that should be taught, but as it is discarded fewer and fewer people until only specially trained people will be able to read many primary sources. That would be rather sad. In addition, physically being able to write in cursive, develops motor skills, allows more effective "priming of the pump" as students brainstorm/pre-write, and deepens understanding of the representational function of lettering, etc.

As for ellipses, I have to say this was a colassol issue with my Korean students. It seemed like everything they wrote was meant to be in a cartoon bubble.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
MomoJA said:
physically being able to write in cursive, develops motor skills, allows more effective "priming of the pump" as students brainstorm/pre-write, and deepens understanding of the representational function of lettering, etc.
LOL, so I must have terrible motor skills! :eek: We were taught cursive in school, but my cursive writing is/was close it illegible, so I gave it up... I think its because I wrote too fast when I wrote cursive. (That it the point of cursive, isn't it?) In fact, Some years ago I've taken to writing only with pencils (the old-fashioned type you have to sharpen, cause I keep breaking those flimsy little lead-stick thingies that go in click pencils...) or fountain pens, to slow me down even more, otherwise I can't read my own hand-writing... :eek:

PS: Count the ellipsis :D

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
singledad said:
LOL, so I must have terrible motor skills! :eek: We were taught cursive in school, but my cursive writing is/was close it illegible, so I gave it up... I think its because I wrote too fast when I wrote cursive. (That it the point of cursive, isn't it?) In fact, Some years ago I've taken to writing only with pencils (the old-fashioned type you have to sharpen, cause I keep breaking those flimsy little lead-stick thingies that go in click pencils...) or fountain pens, to slow me down even more, otherwise I can't read my own hand-writing... :eek:

PS: Count the ellipsis :D
Actually, my handwriting in cursive was so bad I got "below average" on my report cards and my mom made me sit for about 30 minutes a day writing in cursive. My handwriting improved only marginally until I took pre-architecture in school and developed a sort of script/print hybrid based on Leroy lettering. I think it is genetic. My sisters write exactly like my mother, and I write like my father. He was a doctor, so you can probably imagine.

As for the ellipsis, try this . . .

Hello . . . hee hee hee . . . He is so nice . . . I like it . . . But I . . . hee hee hee . . . What? But you . . .

OH! The flashback to wading through that . . .

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Most young people can't even read cursive any more, of my teens only one can and the others just fumble through whatever I write.
The thing with cursive is that it makes every person's writing VERY unique. Some can do it almost caligraphically, others have this so called "doctor's handwriting". I generally ca read cursive, but some people's its impossible.

He was a doctor, so you can probably imagine.
my primary teacher suggested that I should become a doctor :D

Last edited:

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I remember learning to read and write in cursive handwriting in my early school years. There are a few occasions that I utilize this knowledge, one of which is when I'm handwriting a card to someone. It is sad that this form of writing is dying out but it is not unexpected. I suppose this change is another sign of the times and our ever evolving methods of communication. Oh well, I can add cursive to the list of things that was learned which no longer see much use :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
hahaha, my 6th grade english teacher told my mother to buy me a typewriter (a device that used to type letters on paper in the days before computers kiddos...)

MomoJA, interesting thought about the developing motor skills. Don't you think those will be replaced in different ways by other activities? I'm not suggesting the outcome is the same, but as kids spend more time with computers and phones and games the dexterity and brain connectivity they develop there might be more useful to their digital world, no? or am I missing the point?

I'm not a person to sit kids down in front of devices much. We try to maintain balance ie my 4 you has some digital toys, and uses the Wii some and our computer (trying to keep up with big brother) but he also draws and reads books and writes letters and numbers and plays outside and makes music, etc. But I'm amazed at what he does with a computer just with his limited exposure. It's so much different than even what his brother did 5 years ago...

The discussion of the "loss" of cursive, reminds me of when Germany dropped "Fractur" of course the circumstances were different, but a part of history and a way of life for many changed virtually overnight (as I understand it.)

DadAtHome

Jul 8, 2011
US
My writing went from pretty bad (mix of cursive and print) to absolutely terrible when i started working on PC's all day. The only time i ever really have to write with a pen nowadays is when filling out forms etc!.

Seriously though, you know its bad when your 9yr old son is beginning to write better than you do! :D

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
What about signing shit, like checks, loans, affidavits, etc?

I agree that its unnecessary, but how are they gonna change things such as I listed?

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
in Australia we call it running writing lol

or we make it difficult, i have never heard anyone say "cursive" but i have heard "Victorian Modern Cursive" lol