No more cursive writing?...

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
IADad said:
MomoJA, interesting thought about the developing motor skills. Don't you think those will be replaced in different ways by other activities? I'm not suggesting the outcome is the same, but as kids spend more time with computers and phones and games the dexterity and brain connectivity they develop there might be more useful to their digital world, no? or am I missing the point?
I guess my point was that there were other reasons for teaching cursive other than just how to write it. But you are probably right.

I won't really mourn the decline of cursive. I accept it as part of the evolution of things, but I do find it a tiny bit alarming that in another generation or so, only a handful of people will be able to read primary sources. Forget the Declaration of Independence, for example. That is preserved in other forms, but those letters your great grandfather wrote home during the war, and those sappy love letters your mother's high school boyfriend wrote her, etc., will be thrown out and lost forever. It's sort of sad, don't you think? Or am I being too nostalgic?

I was cleaning out some desk drawers at my parents' house the other day. I found the most hilarious cards and letters written to my sister in camp, notes from religion class about what "I vow I will never do," the beginnings of a "book" someone was writing, notes passed in class, etc. I don't suppose it is worth it to save those things for our grandchildren. They'd have to hire someone to read them to them.

Morquinn

Jul 9, 2011
Yikes.. I hope they dont get rid of cursive, thats all I write in.. Ive tried writing regularly, but after a word or two it automatically goes to cursive.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
ElliottCarasDad said:
What about signing shit, like checks, loans, affidavits, etc?

I agree that its unnecessary, but how are they gonna change things such as I listed?

This statement triggered a thought about how this decline in the use of cursive hand writing (especially in signing your name), will affect forgery and the detection methods people use in comparing handwriting.

KS_adoption

Jul 12, 2011
I'm 32, and the only time I've ever used cursive is in elementary school! That was how many years ago? I think it is definitely dying. I'd rather my children be exposed to art, science, music, and P.E. than cursive.

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
superman said:
that theyre removing cursive writing
It's not ridiculous. There are legitimate reasons for it. If you disagree, make a case, but don't just say it's ridiculous and walk away from the argument.

Bad form...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
kdryan said:
It's not ridiculous. There are legitimate reasons for it. If you disagree, make a case, but don't just say it's ridiculous and walk away from the argument.

Bad form...
Naw, not bad form for superman, he's rather straight to the point LOL

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
kdryan said:

Bad form...
lol thanks tips. dont tell me what to write or that i should explain my point. its a public forum...if u dont like my opinion too damn bad, disagree with it whatever.. didnt see any rules saying i have to explain every bit of my reasoning bud.

i like tradition, and its classic first form English writing

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
kdryan said:
Yeah well, if you aren't intelligent enough to back up your opinion, then don't give one...
do u have something mentally lacking? dyslexia maybe? i just wrote it in the last bit of my last post..

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Ok, the name calling stops now.

Kdryan...I tried to lighten it with humor. Superman is almost always short and to the point. Not everyone has a big reason as to why they feel the way they do and that is also ok.

superman.......language ;)

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.......................

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
superman said:
i didnt even swear.. this guy got his panties in a twist apparently
First off, my 'panties are not in a twist' You were rude, I was rude back. If you don't like it, please proceed to go get bent and you need not reply to anything I post again. Honestly, you won't hurt my feelings a bit.

Second, you don't just come in and reply 'That's ridiculous' and nothing else. It lacks manners and shows you lack a reasonable opinion about whatever subject is at hand. I don't care if you agree with me or not. You did something rude, I said something, you were an ass, I was an ass back.

Again, please feel free to stay the hell out of my threads from now on.

Kevin