Normally how much discount for 2nd hand kids book...

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
My workmates (foreigner) has some 2nd hand books to sell to me, his kids grew up, while my kids are younger, i am interested in buy those 2nd hand book from him, I heard it's very common that people in US sell 2nd hands books, i just want to know normally, what's the reasonalbe price? Say 50% off, or?

Thanks for your information first!:)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
It really depends on a lot of things. Like the condition of the books firstly. In the US, you will often find books at garage/yard sales. Most people don't charge more than a $1 per book unless they are collectibles, or text books. What is your co-worker offering them to you for? Where I live, we just pass books around for the most part. There are a few spots where we have 'lending libraries' where people leave and take books for free.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Thank you so much!

The books general looks fine to read,
just some out class reading, such as horrable harry series etc, cos he said he has lots of 2nd books, i thought i can have them for my kids, and i thought it might be 80% even more off, and fianlly he asked 50% after he brought books to me today, i feel a little exp.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Typically used books are pretty cheap (especially used kids).

If you live in a city they have a lot of used book stores. If you think its to much, save your money and hit the yard sales that should be popping up in a couple weeks.

yeojungi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas
I'm a foreigner too. But my experience has been giving and receiving used books at no charge among neighbors and friends. Same for the used clothes.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
around here, in such a case theyy'd probably just give the books. Kids books that are $7-10 new typically sell at garage sales for $0.10-$0,25. Maybe if you are interested in taking the whole lot off his hands you could offer a lump sum. (i.e. I'll take the whole set for $10 or whatever the smilar transaction would be in your currency....)

That way he get's rid of all the books, you get a deal and he gets something for his effort without having to pedal the one's you don't take.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, and I've been thinking about doing the same thing with kids clothes. I really don't wantt to mess with a garage sale, have a friend of a friend with a kid over a year younger than DS2, so I thought about offering her a bunch of boxes of clothing for $5 a box. She'd get stuff including some barely used coats that we probably paid $80 for and I'd pocket some cash without having to go through the hassle of a garage sale.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Thank you all for your comments!

I am in Shanghai, and English is our 2nd language, so there is no yard sales for Origianl english books. And normally for Chinese books (Our language), we normally just give out except several special collection which kids would like to keep them.

He brought 43 books, i'd love to take all of them if price is reasonable.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I would offer him like $20-$30 for the set of 43, and really it would be less other than the fact that you don't get a lot of second hand English books over there, which makes them worth more to you. Around here used books (and these are everywhere, the ones in our primary language, not hard to get etc) are either just given away for free or at yard sales for maybe 10-75 cents each depending on how big and nice they are, and then at second hand kids shops they are like $1-$3, also depending.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Xero said:
I would offer him like $20-$30 for the set of 43, and really it would be less other than the fact that you don't get a lot of second hand English books over there, which makes them worth more to you. Around here used books (and these are everywhere, the ones in our primary language, not hard to get etc) are either just given away for free or at yard sales for maybe 10-75 cents each depending on how big and nice they are, and then at second hand kids shops they are like $1-$3, also depending.
Thank you, i plan to offer him $43, which is equal to RMB 280, then I just round up give him RMB300. Hope he will be Ok with it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I think that's definitely more than fair at $1 each when I try to look at it as if I was trying to get a collection of children's books in a different language for my kids that aren't just available anywhere. :) Its worth it to spend a little extra on something that might be harder to come by otherwise.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Xero said:
I think that's definitely more than fair at $1 each when I try to look at it as if I was trying to get a collection of children's books in a different language for my kids that aren't just available anywhere. :) Its worth it to spend a little extra on something that might be harder to come by otherwise.
You are right!:)

But I am fine with both have these book or not.:)

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Finally, I didnt negociate with him, just double checked his offer (he said that's the market price in his friends circle), so i bought 7 of 43 (one series of three) at 50% off.

Then later, I serched on web, lucky found an e-book <I>Tommy tales</I> (English orginal version) included 38 book.

Thats' enough for my kids reading for several monthes or ever longer period.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
May, ni hao. I'm sorry I didn't respond until now. I couldn't actually log on for the past few days because I've been too busy, but I saw your question and my initial reaction was that the prices were way too high. However, now that I realize you are in Shanghai, I would say the price you paid was fair. Of course, when I hear 280 RMB, I'm still thinking that's about $35, not $43, but it's still fair.

I wonder for future books if you can find a local Western restaurant or hotel/apartment that has a leave one/take one library. I know I saw a few when I was in Shanghai.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
MomoJA said:
May, ni hao. I'm sorry I didn't respond until now. I couldn't actually log on for the past few days because I've been too busy, but I saw your question and my initial reaction was that the prices were way too high. However, now that I realize you are in Shanghai, I would say the price you paid was fair. Of course, when I hear 280 RMB, I'm still thinking that's about $35, not $43, but it's still fair.

I wonder for future books if you can find a local Western restaurant or hotel/apartment that has a leave one/take one library. I know I saw a few when I was in Shanghai.
Thank you so much! MomoJA, your information is very helpful.

The lasted exchange rate is $1=6.5 RMB, RMB 280/6.5=43 around, but finally i didnt bargain with him, cos I feel that is not good between workmates. So instead of take all 43 books, i bought 7 (1 series) from him at his offer (50% off).

It's not a problem for me to get orginal english books for my kids, as i travell often to oversea, last month, i went to NYC, the borders book store is about closing, i bought many books at the price 60% off.

The whole case is not as i supposed, cos i thongh he wanted to disposal books while i can take over, but we didnt mention price, i thought since the price is very reasonable, i just keep them in office and take back home one by one, but he asked 50%, then i think, no need to keep so many books at this moment, beside, there are plenty of e-books on line as well.

Thanks again. Welcome come back to Shanghai again!:)

scardturtl

Apr 1, 2011
May said:
My workmates (foreigner) has some 2nd hand books to sell to me, his kids grew up, while my kids are younger, i am interested in buy those 2nd hand book from him, I heard it's very common that people in US sell 2nd hands books, i just want to know normally, what's the reasonalbe price? Say 50% off, or?

Thanks for your information first!:)
I would say at least 50% off, they wont be using them again and some money back is better than throwing them out.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Thank you, May. I loved Shanghai. I'd go back in a minute.

The exchange rate wasn't far from that when I left China, but my first 5 or 6 years there, it was static at 8.27 RMB to the $ and I never got used to thinking otherwise.

I'm glad you can get English language books easily. They were gold when I was there. The English language selection at the large bookstore was pretty good for adults but very limited for children, and VERY expensive, except for the classics which were about 10 kuai each. Also, I once bought a half dozen Dr. Seuss books at the supermarket for about $2.50 each. That's very cheap. They have Chinese translations in them, though I'm told they make no sense.

I used to order from Amazon and pay a pretty hefty shipping charge, plus I'd have to show my passport and visa before I could get them, and once they started limiting our baggage allowance, books were just too heavy to bring with me.

But we had a leave one/take one library at our school library. And I left all my books to friends or at the leave one/take one library. People I knew would just pass books around. That's why I was sort of shocked when I read your first post about how much the person was asking. But as long as everyone ended up satisfied with the exchange, it was fair.

emergencydentis

PF Regular
Jan 8, 2011
USA
yeojungi said:
I'm a foreigner too. But my experience has been giving and receiving used books at no charge among neighbors and friends. Same for the used clothes.
this is very true in my neighborhood but this only applies to people who know each other very well. :) unfortunately for people who are just recently acquainted (or whatever) research is pretty much a good idea before deciding to buy used stuff from other people.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
MomoJA said:
Thank you, May. I loved Shanghai. I'd go back in a minute.

The exchange rate wasn't far from that when I left China, but my first 5 or 6 years there, it was static at 8.27 RMB to the $ and I never got used to thinking otherwise.

I'm glad you can get English language books easily. They were gold when I was there. The English language selection at the large bookstore was pretty good for adults but very limited for children, and VERY expensive, except for the classics which were about 10 kuai each. Also, I once bought a half dozen Dr. Seuss books at the supermarket for about $2.50 each. That's very cheap. They have Chinese translations in them, though I'm told they make no sense.

I used to order from Amazon and pay a pretty hefty shipping charge, plus I'd have to show my passport and visa before I could get them, and once they started limiting our baggage allowance, books were just too heavy to bring with me.

But we had a leave one/take one library at our school library. And I left all my books to friends or at the leave one/take one library. People I knew would just pass books around. That's why I was sort of shocked when I read your first post about how much the person was asking. But as long as everyone ended up satisfied with the exchange, it was fair.
Thank you so much for sharing all those experiance.:)