Not everyone drives an SUV.....please help...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
We don't at the minute, but obviously we used to and it wasn't an issue, the only thing you could do was lay a front seat flat if there was a car seat behind it, you could fit a rear facing seat in the front seat and the seat behind it at the same time no problem. The only time we have ever had room issues if when they have been small babies and had flat seats, as they lay across the seat don't they.

Last edited:

jessicams

PF Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2011
Jeremy+3 said:
We don't at the minute, but obviously we used to and it wasn't an issue, the only thing you could do was lay a front seat flat if there was a car seat behind it, you could fit a rear facing seat in the front seat and the seat behind it at the same time no problem. The only time we have ever had room issues if when they have been small babies and had flat seats, as they lay across the seat don't they.
are flat seats common? I was under the impression they were only for babies with health issues...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'm not sure what you mean by flat seats, I'm assuming just that in an infant carrier they are laying down instead of sitting up for the most part. Here it is not recommended to put car seats in the front seat at all. I've never seen it done.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
jessicams said:
are flat seats common? I was under the impression they were only for babies with health issues...
Here all babies under six months are supposed to travel in flat seats, some people ignore it though and use a sitting seat, if you have a sitting seat the absolute maximum time they can be in them is two hours a day. I know in some places flat seats are called baby pods.

Babies travel like this in all flat seats, although they haven't done the harness up properly.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I didn't have this problem mostly because when my daughter would have been in a rear-facing seat, we lived in China and had to take taxis everywhere. Seatbelts were iffy if they even had them. Many taxi owners cut them out. My daughter rode in the front carrier. What can you do?

I don't remember brands, though I think I've always had a Graco (except for the car seat I took on bus trips in China and with me to Africa which was a Chinese brand and smaller, and even it didn't fit properly in the bus seats.) I currently drive a Saturn VUE and I would not be able to fit more than two of those in the back seat. I used to take my nephews around with me, and the older one had to sit on the seat. The younger one would be in a rear-facing, and my daughter in a front-facing. They didn't interfere with the front seats.

Now she is in a "booster" seat with the back. I think I could fit three of those across, but I'm not sure.

I think about this sometimes. I'm one of 8, but we didn't have all those laws and regulations then. What do people with more than 2 children do? We had an extended body van growing up, but I don't think even that would fit all those carseats.

centrix1976

Sep 20, 2011
Boynton Beach, FL
Jeremy+3 said:
Here all babies under six months are supposed to travel in flat seats, some people ignore it though and use a sitting seat, if you have a sitting seat the absolute maximum time they can be in them is two hours a day. I know in some places flat seats are called baby pods.

Babies travel like this in all flat seats, although they haven't done the harness up properly.
Wow, I have never seen anything like this before. I'm glad you mentioned the baby was improperly harnessed because that was the first thing I noticed even not being familiar with it. Very interesting :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I've never seen anything like that before either Jeremy! That's so interesting.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
In the USA they are called "car seat beds" and are only used for tiny, premature and/or special needs infants.

NEVER put a rear facing car seat in the front seat of a vehicle. If the air bag goes off = severe, if not fatal, injuries. Generally speaking, no child car seat should be installed in the front seat. The back seat is significantly safer.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
centrix, were you able to seek help from a CPS Tech in your area?

centrix1976 said:
My 7 month old daughter is still in her infant car seat. Although its good to 30lbs I really feel like its time to move up. She is running out of shoulder room and her feet are touching the back of the seat. We bought her an 'Air Protect' seat months ago and went to install it the other day. By the time we got the seat at the correct angle, both front seats had to be moved fully forward. I'm only 5'1" and I couldn't fit in the driver's seat. My sister-in-law gave me her used Brittax and same situation. I drive a full sized FAMILY sedan..how can this be??

I called her pediatrician for advice but was directed to their website which offered no help, only installation instructions.

I don't really feel using the seat at the improper angle is safe. I'm really frustrated and don't know what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Trina said:
In the USA they are called "car seat beds" and are only used for tiny, premature and/or special needs infants.

NEVER put a rear facing car seat in the front seat of a vehicle. If the air bag goes off = severe, if not fatal, injuries. Generally speaking, no child car seat should be installed in the front seat. The back seat is significantly safer.
You can get a version for dogs...

You have to remember that laws differ in different countries, in most european countries if you remove/deactivate the air bag it is the safest place for a child to travel. Which is more to do with the design of european cars, rather than the design of european seats.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
The laws of man may differ by country, but the laws of physics don't. :) That said, in the US it's not legal to remove/deactivate air bags, unless in extreme cases and even then, a strict approval process is required.

Jeremy+3 said:
You can get a version for dogs...

You have to remember that laws differ in different countries, in most european countries if you remove/deactivate the air bag it is the safest place for a child to travel. Which is more to do with the design of european cars, rather than the design of european seats.