not napping...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
What do you do if your child doesn't nap when he's supposed to? Oliver has been playing in his crib for about an hour now. He never took his nap. :mad:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Sometimes they grow out of naps or maybe you need to play more with him so he gets a bit tired. I still swear by the box fan, it lulls them to sleep

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I know he's tired because he rubs his eyes and he gets crabby. He just doesn't want to nap.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I just always turned on the fan and gave them their blankeys and they crashed. Maybe try nap time a bit later?

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa, have you ever tried the car ride trick. Kind of like Musicmom's fan suggestion, except that the car movement\vibration puts them to sleep. Downside is that kids become accustom to it and have a harder time going to sleep on their own.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Well, he's up now and he hasn't been whiney. Maybe mm is right. Maybe he's growing out of these naps. Booooooo!

ajo

Apr 10, 2008
I always find that if my son is fighting a nap I have missed the window and I need to move it earlier the next day.

Also having a routine has helped us immensely!

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
I don't know how different it is at Olivers age, but with Gavin, his naptimes are always the same time every day...if he misses one or even lays down later than normal, he gets super cranky and even harder to put to sleep. He fights it so hard, even though he is rubbing his eyes and obviously totally exhausted.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
They usually are about the same time, but not exactly. He wakes up at 7:00 and goes back to sleep at 8:00. Then he sleeps from 8:00-9 or 10:00. He goes back down at 1:00 and then sometimes takes another at 4:00 (the one he skipped).

ajo

Apr 10, 2008
All kids are different but most really do well with a predictable routine, and I really think that the more I stick with it day to day the more is is able to go off routine for special occasions.

So I just do the same things in the same order- lunch, outside , bath, nurse in bed, nap...

Things do have to be exactly the same but when kids can predict they get themselves ready . I think I started this with my son around 9-10 months.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Lissa said:
What do you do if your child doesn't nap when he's supposed to? Oliver has been playing in his crib for about an hour now. He never took his nap. :mad:
Just keep him up until lunch time, feed him lunch and then 10- 15 min after lunch its nap time!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I was thinking, don't let him go back to sleep in the morning. When he wakes up at 7, keep him up then try to get him to take a nap after lunch.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
He will be sooooooooo crabby though. Not to mention, I like going back to bed with him. lol