• Non-US: Other...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Obama vs Romney

<SIZE size="125">If this turns into a debate I will just delete the thread.</SIZE> My intention is just for comparison and fun. There is a place for Non US to vote. I am especially interested in how the non-us votes go. This I hope can take the debate out if it. <I>The only rule</I> is <SIZE size="100"><U>if you want to post something about your candidate: Feel Free. If you want to insult the other candidate your post will be deleted. In short you can only post about who your vote is for. Not who or why the other guy is bad.</U></SIZE>

I see that too often in emails and FB. That people are indirectly insulting friends. Keep in mind when you insult a candidate you are insulting your friends who are voting for him.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I really don't know. To be honest, I haven't really been paying attention. Did a quick google and found solid reasons not to vote for... either.

Romney seems to have better economic policies, but Obama definitely wins in other areas....
At least according to what I learnt in 10 minutes on google...

Glad I don't have to pick one!

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
bssage said:
Obama vs Romney

<SIZE size="125">If this turns into a debate I will just delete the thread.</SIZE> My intention is just for comparison and fun. There is a place for Non US to vote. I am especially interested in how the non-us votes go. This I hope can take the debate out if it. <I>The only rule</I> is <SIZE size="100"><U>if you want to post something about your candidate: Feel Free. If you want to insult the other candidate your post will be deleted. In short you can only post about who your vote is for. Not who or why the other guy is bad.</U></SIZE>

I see that too often in emails and FB. That people are indirectly insulting friends. Keep in mind when you insult a candidate you are insulting your friends who are voting for him.
I've learned that It's never for fun bssage it always turns into a nasty debate. :p

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I have recently had to click the ignore on FB for a couple a friends that I like. Just because they are constantly posting insulting political crap.

I have been giving my dad a hard time this year. He is a salesman by trade. Most of his life it has been cars. But you can not talk politics with him. He is so artful about changing the topic to a non-political conversation that I did not realize he was doing it until recently. I don't even think he is aware he does it. Just salesman second nature I guess.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
It's pretty interesting where I live, my state pretty much votes Republican, they could be selling pot door to door and most people would still vote that way. It's also heavily populated with LDS members.

What's interesting is that a large percentage of them do not like Romney. I still see this state going republican, but the actual numbers will be interesting to see when it's all said and done.

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
Obama supports abortion rights, expansion of health insurance to the uninsured, a more progressive tax structure, a doubling of auto mile per gallon standards, new protections for consumers of financial services, restrictions on risky lending that led to the global recession, measures that allow the unwinding of large financial institutions without requiring tax-payer funded bailouts, incentives for green energy development.

I tried to limit this list to policies that Obama will most like have the power to maintain, promote or institute during a second term.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
bssage said:
I have recently had to click the ignore on FB for a couple a friends that I like. Just because they are constantly posting insulting political crap.

I have been giving my dad a hard time this year. He is a salesman by trade. Most of his life it has been cars. But you can not talk politics with him. He is so artful about changing the topic to a non-political conversation that I did not realize he was doing it until recently. I don't even think he is aware he does it. Just salesman second nature I guess.
Yes me too bssage. I just don't read them anymore I didn't think to ignore them. lol

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I have to say, we don't hear an awful lot about the actual politics, just strange quotes from Romney and his party, and boy, have there been a lot of strange quotes, especially on the topic of women's health. Wow.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Yeah they are all saying it is going to boil down to the women. In fact they are talking about that right now while I am typing.

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
bssage said:
Obama vs Romney

I am not understanding how debate = insult in your mind. Debating is a valuable skill and done well, changes minds.

But is is your thread.

I dislike both candidates and am tired of the delusion of the American people, believing that either guy is more than a figurehead put into place by big money interests. Ron Paul should be President for a hundred reasons, but it will not happen because people are bamboozled into thinking that we are constitutionally bound or something to vote for only a Republican or a Democrat. Well, we've seen the results of that in even the last few decades of my own life.

Not buying what they are selling anymore. I will vote for whatever Libertarian is on the ticket, but not sure if he is on in every state.

So your poll excludes me.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think bssage meant as in

"I am voting for ___ because they want ____ _____ and ____"

vs

"____ is such a ____ he sucks because ______"

Because political discussions always seem to resort to petty nonsense.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I really don't go by the candidate, I vote Democratically regardless of who the Democratic candidate is, I'm a Libral Democrate by nature and pretty much agree with the Dem philosophy n general.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I'm not happy about either of the choices. I tend to be libertarian in politics. I have fairly strong opinions on economics, morals, and education (which I will not share now), but I also believe that the government's effectiveness in moderating these areas is limited. So sometimes it is not so much about whose ideas I most support, but rather what kind of policies are going to promote freedom and sustainability. Let the other matters be determined at the local level.

As long as we have the freedom (and funds) to run things at the local level, and as long as our environment isn't trashed, we still have the ability to tackle those economic, moral and educational challenges any way we want. And since I don't think broad-sweeping legislation ideally solves the problems of a culturally, geographically, and economically diverse nation, why try to settle on a one-size-fits-all solution?

That's a problem I have with both Romney and Obama, who tackled the health care crisis with broad mandates at the state and national levels, respectively. I happen to side with Romney more on economics and Obama more on immigration, but in general, I fear the approaches that both of them take. I just have a problem with whittling away our freedoms to address problems that have always existed and cannot truly be solved. Our liberty and our environment are the only things that are really crucial.

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Testing said:
I am not understanding how debate = insult in your mind. Debating is a valuable skill and done well, changes minds.
A couple of reasons. If someone really wants a debate about it. There is specifically a debate section for them to post in.

I will only speak for my self here. I dont consider myself a party voter. I vote for the person who I can relate better to. Who I think values more closely the things I value. So its obvious how if you are insulting my candidate I might take that personally.

I did use the words "relate" and "more closely" deliberately. As generally my vote have been for what I consider the lesser of two evils. I know its not even close to a perfect system. But I really have not witnessed one that is.

IMHO a perfect world I would prefer to elect the wisest person available. Not the smartest: the wisest. I don't ever see that being an option. Most of the truly wise people I know. Became wise by making mistakes and learning from them. Wisdom IMHO is earned not learned. That means to me being able to see things for what they mean to others rather than themselves or their party. It means admitting the need help from other to make complicated decisions. Humility is a part of wisdom I believe. And that is rare in a candidate.

So while I see flaws in my vote this year. It is my belief that I am doing the right thing.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I noticed a couple of libertarian voters.

I have to admit my ignorance on this. I have in the past been aware of some of the libertarian candidates and platforms. But I know almost nothing at all about this years candidate.

I checked the nat website. It was mainly news links. Anyone got a link for comparison of their platform.

On the web site it says repeal Obama Care - replace it with nothing. That has been my "hot button" issue for the last two elections. I would like to read more about the libertarian idea.

Found it http://www.lp.org/issues

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Testing said:
I dislike both candidates and am tired of the delusion of the American people, believing that either guy is more than a figurehead put into place by big money interests.
I agree with you here. The real power, imo, is really in the house and senate. If people want real change they need to look closer to home and take a much better look at who they are putting into those two houses.

I am pretty much a liberal democrat. Does that mean I always vote that way? No, I look at the over all package and then make a choice. Right now, outside of economy, the biggest issue that concerns me is 'Obama Care'. The loss of this for my family can mean the difference between Ted getting his med's and Ted not getting his Med's. When you are looking at $1,500 a month for three med's it's not hard to see why that is a concern for me.

So again, as of now because Of demographics and the fact that individually my vote means little in this election. I will not be voting...that's another thing I think needs to be looked at.

bssage...I found this link...

http://www.lp.org/platform