Old wifes tales...

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Anyone ever get told the weirdest wife's tale?

Two weeks ago my friend's son fell off the couch, I told her Alenya fell off the bed whenever she was his age and not to worry about it too much. She told me that her mom said that it was "good" for a child to fall from somewhere before they turn one. I asked why and she said she didn't know. So last night, Kaitlyn fell off the bed. I thought it was Alenya because the thud was so loud....but nope. I felt so horrible I wanted to cry. I told my friend today and she told me why it was good for a child to fall. She didn't want to tell me before because she thought it would freak me out. Apparently if a child doesn't fall from somewhere before they are one, they'll die of young age. Even though my girls have fallen...I still wanted to cry thinking about it! She's from Tennessee, so...I don't know.

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
Hm, never heard that, it's probably something a mom made up forever ago to make it a little easier on the heart when her little one fell, hehe. Lila has rolled off the bed and I cried and cried. It was when she was first starting to really roll around. Luckily it was a very short bed that had been used in my dorm years ago. She didn't cry but I sure as heck did.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
My grandmother told me that I shouldn't hold my arms straight up while I was pregnant or I could turn the baby upside down.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my MIL says you should never speak to a baby from behind or upside down because they will be crossed eyed...lol

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Nichole also has fallen off of the couch and the bed a few times, lol. I heard the arms up when pregnant, but it causes the umbilical cord to wrap around the babies neck. Crazy things

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I was told which ever way a colic is on a babys head shows which arm they will write with. Wierd thing is my twins had opposite colics and one IS a lefty.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I talked with an older lady who insisted it was good for a pregnant woman to smoke as it would "strengthen the baby's lungs", and so she was encouraging her granddaughter to smoke throughout her pregnancy.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Ari2 said:
I talked with an older lady who insisted it was good for a pregnant woman to smoke as it would "strengthen the baby's lungs", and so she was encouraging her granddaughter to smoke throughout her pregnancy.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

:shocked:

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
A woman told me when I was pregnant with my youngest that climing in and out of a car window because the door wouldn't open would harm my baby or cause a miscarriage. Also when I was a kid my Dad said that if I crossed my eyes they'd freeze like that and I'd never be able to uncross them.