One month to go and swollen ankles?...

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
This is all so exciting. I wish you a speedy delivery and a happy healthy baby.
Oh yeah and that your husband is with you when you deliver.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I've been having Braxton Hicks a lot with this pregnancy. It's an odd feeling, isn't it? My midwife told me that it might be due to mild dehydration (which is very common when you live in the tropics) but I also get them if I move to fast. I am typically speedy walker, and walk a lot, so I had to slow things down. Which is not as easy as it sounds!

I'm so excited for you! You are going to be a mama soon!!!! I hope that you have some time after the baby is born to tell us all about it. Just curious, what is your position on drugs during labor?

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
My position on drugs? Only if necessary. lol. I'm going to try for all natural, if I can but I put on my birth plan that I might request an epidural so to keep the epidural guy on standby. lol. Especially since my tolerance for pain kind of rests on the level of determination I have to deal with it. I was very determined to not get upset or demonstrate that I was in pain throughout the time of my two-hour-long tattoo (which was also my first one, lol) and I got a lot of praise both from my impressed husband and the guy who was doing it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That was exactly my opinion on drugs before I went in to have Eli. :) I was hoping to do it all natural, but it of course didn't work out for me lol (that's my luck for ya). I actually lasted a while but once the contractions started to get really bad I started to throw up and I guess that's where I kind of caved in. o__o I was really bummed because not only did they give me pain meds, they also gave me a narcotic type anti-nausea med and soon after that I got the epidural. The epidural was wonderful and I plan on asking for it when I go in to have this baby, but I absolutely hate that I had to have that other stuff because it made me completely unaware. I had no clue what was going on, and I could barely even talk to people. So this time I'm hoping I can keep it to the epidural alone and things wont be so goofed up. :eek:

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
Ah, I've had people tell me that they regretted having the epidural because of psychological reasons. Something about lacking the bond with the baby because the struggle to give birth wasn't as fierce as it should have been without the epidural. But I guess it all comes down to preference.
And I just got a call from my doctor today telling me that I'm spilling proteins. This was the result of the 24-hour test. The measurement was at 350 and I was told anything over 300 is abnormal. So I've been put on full-time bed rest unless I come across some other strange symptom that might suggest high blood pressure. Because without high blood pressure, they can't say its pre-eclampsia.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh I don't know, the epidural was fine for me. It was the narcotics that messed me up, once they wore off the rest of the birth was fine. :)

BittyMom

Oct 26, 2010
Jax, FL
OMG! Just stay off your feet hon! Preeclampsia is not fun. I had tht before I gave birth to Daniel and I had to stay in bed with a bedpan. It is not fun. Are you on bedrest at home?

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
Yea, I'm at home on bed rest. It's not fun at all. Thankfully, no bed pan. I'm allowed to get up to the bathroom, but thats all I'm allowed.

BittyMom

Oct 26, 2010
Jax, FL
Well, I'm glad to hear you won't be going through what I had to deal with. Its really not any fun, but thankfully you don't have much longer to go. Good luck!

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
:( bummer! Just do what you need to do. You don't have too much longer now.

When my son was born, the hospital here didn't even HAVE epidurals! I was begging at one point. I had back labor and despite my usual high tolerance for pain, nothing even could come close to explaining this type of pain. I threw up a lot during early and active labor. But once I felt the urge to push, it was over pretty fast. Like, first push, water broke. The more pushes, I had a son on my chest....and a rip and hemorrhoids the size of Texas. The midwives weren't really ready to deal with me, but I said someone had better catch because I was pushing and I was going to stop this pain!!!

Not sure how things will go with this next guy. I am really hoping that I don't have back labor again. But I do know the hospital now offers epidurals. I guess I will have to just wait and see.

Even without any drugs...I was still in a very strange state after my son was born. I don't really know how to explain it, but for many hours after his birth I kind of felt like I was in la la land, but still very aware. But nothing seemed to upset me and I was very very calm. Anyone else like this?

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
So I've been wondering if little Cerridwyn has made her arrival yet and how DruidMom is doing. If you are out there DruidMom, hope you are doing well!!!

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
stjohnjulie said:
So I've been wondering if little Cerridwyn has made her arrival yet and how DruidMom is doing. If you are out there DruidMom, hope you are doing well!!!
same hopin for the best :D