Opinion on best car seat...

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
So we are fast approaching the 1 yr. mark with Bailey and it is time to upgrade the carseat to a forward facing one, but I have no idea what to choose, there are soo many types out there ranging in all kinds of prices. I loved the fact that our current carseat/carrier had a base that stayed with the car and we could just switch her from car to car, but the upgrades don't seem to have that so we either have to always take the same car or keeping moving the carseat. Does anyone have any particular brand they love and if so why? Also where have you placed your child in the car on the outside for easy access, or in the middle so they are safer in a side impact crash? No wrong answers, just curious to what other people do.

parentinzen

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
I love my Britax carseats. We have had the Marathon and Roundabout. The Roundabout was great for the transitioning for 1 year. My baby could still sleep in the car, and they are REALLY safe. Their website has some comparison stuff on different features, but those are the two I would recommend. We have 2 kids, so we placed them on the sides. Before the 2nd though, we just had her on the side too, but we do have side-impact in our car, so that always made me feel better.
-Amy
Parenting Zen

ymann68

PF Regular
Oct 11, 2007
i also have a britax, a little more expensive but they last a long time and are great. we are now shopping for a 5 point booster seat.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Well I am sure Trina will be here soon, she is the resident car seat tech.
I also prefer Britax. WE have a marthon. Alsio, it is best for your son to remain re facing till he reaches teh weight max of the seat. Britax it is 33 pounds. Not I do forward face my daughter and she is only 23 pounds, but she is 2 years old. She was rear till a month before her 2nd.
We have a truck so she is just in the passenger seat.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Oh, where do I start?? LOL!

After an infant carrier car seat the next step is a rear facing convertible car seat. Definitely keep your baby rear facing until <I>at least</I> 12 mos. and 20 lbs.. Longer is even better! The AAP and safety experts now recommend babies stay rear facing until they outgrow the rear facing limits of their convertible car seat. Rear facing better protects the head, neck and spine during a crash.
More info and video clips:
Car Seat Safety for Your Infant | Partners for Child Passenger Safety - Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

CPSafety - Your online child passenger safety resource

I love Britax seats, but they aren't within everyone's budget. Whatever you get, be sure it has a 5 pt. harness (not a shield!) and a front harness adjuster.
CPSafety - Your online child passenger safety resource

I would like to mention a car seat worth checking out, if you can find one - the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. It's made by Britax for Fisher Price, and is essentially a Britax Marathon without all the bells and whistles for about $130. I have one and LOVE it! Unfortunately, this seat has been discontinued. :( WHY, I don't know.
Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe Convertible Car Seat in Black

The center rear position is typically the safest because it's furthest from all points of impact, however, if you're unable to tightly and correctly install your car seat in that spot, it's not a safe option.

To find a Child Passenger Safety Technician in your area:
Home | SeatCheck.org

More Car Seat Resources:
Resources - Child Passenger Safety - ParentingForums.org

HTH :)