Organization with Messy Family Members...

MNDad

PF Regular
Jun 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
First, I apologize for my recent absence from this forum - it's been hectic! Second, I am sorry in advance for the length of this post. Bear with me.

Now, on to the topic. As you may or may not remember, my wife and I are expecting a second child, due April 19, 2013. The pregnancy is progressing well; the only hiccup is gestational diabetes, but it's under control with diet and light exercise.

I am the neat one in the family (ironic since I was a horribly messy child). My wife is the messy one, and unfortunately, she has rubbed off on my stepson more than I have in that way. Please understand this is not about cleanliness - she is not too bad in that area. It's about clutter and messes (papers, leaving blankets out, dumping her coat and purse wherever she decides to, etc.). For example, if we watch TV at night, then go to bed, she tends to just get up and go up to the bedroom, leaving the living room with whatever small messes were made. These add up over time. I, on the other hand, prefer to get up, spend maybe ten minutes straightening up and what not, and THEN go to bed. I like coming down in the morning to a neat home.

One underlying problem, I think, is that our house is cramped and disorganized. In order to fully understand all this, I need to give you a pretty detailed description of our house.

We live in a three-story (including basement) rental townhouse that is a little older in age (built in the 1940s but renovated within the last 10 years). The basement is where the laundry room is, plus storage under the stairs. Otherwise, it's a bedroom and a bathroom down there, and a friend of ours from high school rents it from us. So we lose a whole floor (and we can't afford the place without her, currently). The main floor has a small kitchen, small dining room, and living room. No closets or bathrooms. The second floor has a small square-shaped landing (maybe 5x5 feet) with a linen closet. Then there's a tiny bathroom, our bedroom, and my stepson's bedroom. The bedrooms have closets, although not very big.

We manage to store all of our larger items in closets and underneath the stairs, but we have nowhere to store things we use every day, like Morgan's school papers and folders, etc. I like things neat and put away, and currently, we don't have that option. We have several large bin-type things from Target, but they take up space, so I can't really fit any more of them in here. I am convinced I can make it work by sorting, tossing, and making a "home" for everything, but it's keeping up on it that scares me.

The real question here (for those of you who are like me - neat and orderly) is how should I do this? Since no one else seems to care about organization per se, should I just do things the way I want (labeling bins, etc.) and expect everyone else to follow along? Or do I just let my wife make messes and I clean up after her while hoping to influence my stepson? Let's face it - after being messy for the first 30 years of her life, I'm not convinced my wife can be expected to change too much.

Maybe I should organize it all and demonstrate how nice, calm, and functional an organized home is...? The other problem is that I feel like it's wrong of me to expect Morgan to keep his room clean and follow my lead when mommy keeps messing up the house. While the baby will be in our room for a while, he or she will eventually end up in Morgan's room, which is already tiny and cramped. I imagine he sees the mess and either thinks that's normal or thinks "If she doesn't have to do it, then neither do I." That said, I think I can work on him a little more since he is still young enough to form good habits in this area. I just don't know how to get my wife on board without directly telling her what to do and treating her like a child. "Please put your milk glass in the dishwasher - don't leave it on the table" would be a daily reminder if I had to do that.

I guess I'm all over the place here. Any advice for keeping a neat home while retaining some of my sanity?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
This is a problem I know well, house back then just weren't built with storage in mind. They simply didn't have all of the 'stuff' we have today.

In my house coats and shoes are a huge problem. I do have a shoe rack right by the door, but no one puts their shoes on it or puts their shoes together. coats have hooks in a hall that leads to the basement, but everyone thinks the back of the chairs work just as well.

I could go on, with the kids I constantly remind, with the husband I just find it easier to go behind him and pick up. in your shoes I would just do what I want and help the child follow through and gently work with the wife. She may find she likes it and then it will become a non-issue.

MNDad

PF Regular
Jun 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
mom2many - Haha funny - I KNEW you'd chime in right away because you have a big family and (if I recall correctly) not a huge home!

Thanks - at least I'm not alone. The shoes and coat thing are exactly the types of things I go through, and I think it drives me so crazy just because it's such an easy thing to do correctly.

I asked the original question today because I'm off this entire week from work (my vacation time is use-it-or-lose-it). I spent the weekend as usual, then let myself have Monday to do nothing. Yesterday I got to work on the house. I got the living room done (which just means that only the stuff that actually belongs in the living room is there now). Today it's bin cleanout time, complete with labels. I'm actually desperately hoping I will find large amounts of JUNK in the bins we currently have so I can create a defined purpose for each of them.

Do you have a place for just plain old random stuff? I mean, there are some things that just aren't going to fit into a category (or a bin). I think the hard part for me in actually doing the organizing is that I know sometimes you have to make a bigger mess to clean one up (e.g. I will have to remove everything from the bins and have a party with it all on the floor, then put it all back somewhere).

I think my plan of action is this: anything that comes out of the bins that actually belongs somewhere else will at least go to that room. Everything else will be put away and labeled. Then I will have to move from room to room, but it will eventually get done.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Oh yes, the mess to get it cleaned. I always start something then look around and wonder why they hell I did that to myself lol

for bins and stuff stored I look at everything then ask when was the last time it was used or even thought about, it's it's been longer then 6 months I get rid of it. Now that's not true of baby stuff, my coal room is packed with baby stuff, but in all fairness I loan a lot of it out. At some point I am sure I might miss it, but I find I don't miss it enough to run out and get another one.

As for those odd things, it's the top of my fridge, I hate it but I just haven't found a better spot with some ease of access. We have a junk drawer and a few junk catchers that sit on my freezer, but I go through those at least once a month and weed things out. I find next to shoes and coats, chargers are a big thing. Every gadget has one and we all have multiple gadgets.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Does your wife have any ideas?

I'm the clutter bug in our home, my husband isn't a neat freak, he has his fair share of clutter, but he does like to find places for everything.

Reason I ask about your wife's ideas is, as a hypothetical situation, if my husband came out of the blue with a bunch of buckets with labels on them and went "Look, it's a bucket with the word shoes on it, shoes go in this bucket" and so on, it would only be a matter of seconds before he would be wearing said buckets on his head.

MNDad

PF Regular
Jun 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
No, she doesn't have ideas about any of that. She pretty much doesn't know how to organize in any way. No danger of buckets on my head here :)

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I hate to say it but your never going to get either of them to organize the way you know is best. I live the same life, my husband and son are both messy. Not dirty but messy and cluttery...I hate it

I too straighten up before I go to bed, and God knows when I wake up there's always something in the sink or on the table!! I really gave up

I just decided to continue to do it my way anyway, organize and label what you want but I think you'll have to keep it up yourself, they just aren't going to change.

And it's a loosing battle to keep arguing about it.

I decided that I'm not going to change either because I know I will go crazy in a sloppy messy room. So I just keep it up the best I can, I just feel more comfortable in an clean room. Maybe it's me.

It's funny but it's not. :rolleyes:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Try to go through everything and organize it yourself. Once it looks pristine, pitch the idea of sticking to it. My experience is that people become overwhelmed when they see clutter. They don't want to deal with it. Whether or not they should is irrelevant. But when you come home to a spotless house, the appeal speaks for itself. This is when they're more likely to be "sold" on the idea of keeping it clean and organized.

So that's where I'd start.

Taking all the upkeep upon yourself is a bad idea. People take it for granted if they don't play a part. It's easy to throw your socks on the floor and forget about them. But it takes forever to retrieve socks from under beds, blankets and cushions so you can launder them. The only way to break the cycle of tossing socks on the floor is to make sure the person doing it is the one having to pick it up. Otherwise you'll find yourself spending the whole day picking up after people, instead of everyone taking a few seconds to put things away. Same with dishes. If everyone scrapes their leftovers into the trash as soon as they finish eating, and place the dishes in the sink, it's an easy matter to wash them. But if they leave it on the table and one person is stuck scraping dried-up food off plates, then soaking them in water to get the rest, then straining the solids out so they can drain the water... you suddenly have a big job.

Been there, done that.

Last edited:

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
We never really have had an issue because we have always been set on keeping order. We always tried to fill the house with personal items that are close to us as a family but in a way which has order and doesn't look cluttered. Everything has a place and the kids know this. They are aloud to be disorganised if they so wish in their rooms as long as they regularly clear their rooms out and keep them hygenicaly clean. The main issue we have with mess is in our storage areas. The garage is full of goodness knows what from a sofa to DIY equipment. All and everything can find a home in our garage. The Eave storage cuboards are also chockerblocked. These have mostly got things we either need or may need. Such as christmas decorations to kids toys which we hope can be passed down the generations like some of them have been.

I think its best just telling them what it is you are planning to do and then just doing it and being persistant they will get bored of you going on an just do it, this will take time but eventually it should work because it is natrual human behaviour (yes I'm a counsellor and studied psychology). Or you could just leave them for a week and see how long it takes before they realise that nothing is working. Then they might listen to you more :)

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Is your wife good about anything else? Like cooking, or laundry, yard work? You might feel better if you can trade it off, like you do all the cleaning/organizing inside and she can do the laundry or outside work. (after the baby of course)
I just don't think she's going to change about the cleaning inside, and to avoid driving yourself crazy, I think your better off taking charge of it.

As far as your son goes, maybe demonstrating how nice it feels to live in an organized room MIGHT help him to change, but I strongly doubt it. My son is 21 and still pretty messy, even though he thinks he's neat. I tried all that too, phrase, rewards, demonstration, and offering to help him clean it, but he just goes back to the old pattern, my hubby is the same.
However,they do have other great qualities that makes up for it, my husband loves to cook, and my son helps with the yard work, and offers to help us in many other ways, so it evens out.

Anyway hope it works out.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
For me, one of the keys to keeping a place tidy is that it mustn't be effort. Eg. If putting something away involves finding the right container, removing it from the cupboard, opening it, placing the item inside, closing it and putting it away again, the item will end up on the counter. If putting it away involves opening a door our drawer and dropping it into the right, lidless container, it is much more likely to get put away.

Drawers with dividers. Well labelled and alphabetically ordered hanging files for documents. Hooks for keys and coats in places you will pass by on you're easy in, instead of out of the way, etc...

Last edited:

MNDad

PF Regular
Jun 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for all the advice.

Singledad, you bring up a great point. Maybe I need to make things easier. Then they'll follow it, or at least if they don't, they have no excuse not to...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I have to wholeheartedly second Singledad's post.

If the organizational system is convenient, people will use it. If it's flawed or complicated, people will give up. That post just reminded me of when I was a kid. Putting laundry away was one of those tasks with a catch: no one had enough closet or drawer space for all their clothes, so putting it away meant prioritizing what deserved a spot, and what got shoved in various places after the "spots" were taken. It was frustrating, so as kids we were inclined to just put it off! Thinking back, I wish my parents would have put more effort into the "system." But they were clutterbugs, so any system was bound to be overrun eventually. I imagine that is the case with any family, so commit to periodically adjusting the system to accommodate influx.

Last edited: