Parents with ASD toddlers, question for you!...

ExpatMama721

Jan 20, 2013
Bit of a back story:
Right after my kids 2nd birthday, my son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. This didn't come as a huge shock, we had been suspecting as much.
We didn't start weaning the kids onto toddler cups until their 1st birthday, for no other reason than we simply forgot. From about 3 months on, they were bottle fed with EBM since I went back to work. My daughter was able to be weaned off completely after 6 months. My son, however was not.

At 2 years old, he would still refuse to drink anything that wasn't in a bottle. No occasional sips from a straw, nothing. Before his diagnosis, we tried the whole "cold turkey" thing, thinking he was just being stubborn. We wouldn't offer bottles, only toddler cups. This became an issue and we had to stop because he stopped drinking all together, even though he was thirsty.

Right after this is when we were told his diagnosis. Out of desperation I tried him on the Nuby Sports Sippers, since they take on a similar nipple shape, and voila! He's now off the bottle!

My problem is that they're approaching 3 now and we still can't get him to drink from a toddler cup. We tried giving him other sports cups (like the ones with the straws and the ones with the push down tops) but he still won't try them.

Is this an autism related problem or do we just have one stubborn child? I'm growing desperate as I've run out of ideas.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Find a place where it is okay to be a little messy. Maybe outside if the weather is okay. Make your son a big strawberry milkshake topped with whip cream and colorful sprinkles. Insert straw. I think he will give it a try.

If not, you can put a small amount in a bottle (probably diluted, so it actually goes through the holes) and let him get a taste of it. Then offer "seconds" in the cup only. Sometimes you have to make things really tempting just to get past initial hang-ups.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I am sorry I did not see your post until today.

It is and can be a component of Autism. That does not mean it cant just be a component of a heck a lot of stuff.

My daughter is 10 and still has these issues.