Passing out while crying...

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Has anyone ever experienced this with their kids?

Last week DD was ballerina twirling in the living room in front of me and fell on her wrist. She got up and started crying and walking towards me. She has always been a powerful crier and sometimes the pauses in between can be long. Right before she got to me and during one of these pauses where she catches her breath, her eyes started to roll and she went limp and I caught her. She immediately started crying again and she was okay, but it sure did freak me out there for a second!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh my goodness! haha I have never seen my kids do it, but honestly I'm not too surprised that it could happen. Actually I'm surprised ODS has never done it! Sometimes that first stretch right after hurting himself or whatever where he isn't breathing or making any noise, just standing there with his face all red and his mouth hanging open, is just soooo looooong. And I just feel like 0.0 when is he going to breathe??? But yeah, I would have been scared too! I'm sure it was just because she wasn't breathing in soon enough. :)

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, Ive read about it happening but dont want to experience it again. I was sure she broke her wrist or fingers or something the way she went on crying but she was totally okay. Just snuggled up and took a nap on dad.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
ElliottCarasDad said:
Has anyone ever experienced this with their kids?

I pass out while he's crying all the time :p

But seriously, the long pause after they fall/hurt themselves seems pretty crazy to me as a new dad lol. Sometimes he will be taking in that first initial breath getting ready to scream for what seems like 7-8 seconds... so I suppose it's feasible that they just run out of oxygen or something and cause that temporary passing out.

I'm glad she's ok and I hope you don't have to experience it again.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Xero said:
Sometimes that first stretch right after hurting himself or whatever where he isn't breathing or making any noise, just standing there with his face all red and his mouth hanging open, is just soooo looooong. And I just feel like 0.0 when is he going to breathe???
Don't you hate that?! It used to freak me out when one of our kids would do that. I was thinking "how do you do that? Breathe child!!"

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Awe the one where you feel the need to blow in their face to make them breath.

Been there a few times but so far no fainters. I know its very coomon, scary, but common.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Father_0f_7 said:
Don't you hate that?! It used to freak me out when one of our kids would do that. I was thinking "how do you do that? Breathe child!!"
Yes! Yes I do hate it! lol

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
That would scare the jeepers out of me. I can understand how it would happen. That fight or flight adrenalin rush sometimes makes me see white for a few seconds, but I would be sure that she had broken something.

I do remember those seemingly endless pauses, but I have to say by the time I had a child, I was able to recognize that she would pass out and start to breath naturally before she died, which I was always afraid would happen with my baby brother and sister.

What I have now is a 5 year old with asthma who will cry until she has a coughing attack. I've been impressed with myself so far that I haven't panicked.

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
some kids just scream to a point that they arnt getting any air in and temporarily pass out. then the bodys natural instincts kick in and they start up again. its quite common. its usually nothing to be overly concerned about unless they dont come to within a min.

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
My daughter went into faking things like that for a little while for attention at the daycare. We did all imaginable tests in hospital and all (the daycare employees were getting worried)... at some point we went, "OK, this has to be comportmental, let's just not give her the extra attention when she does it"... and it magically stopped within a couple days ! ;)

I know it's not what you experienced, but it reminded me of that !