People getting annoyed by your decisions...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
This is more of a vent than anything, I know im not doing a single thing wrong, but im really frustrated at the moment.

DH and I are going to a wedding tonight, its an "over 18's only" kind of do, which we completely respect. However the bride has organised for two nannies to host a massive slumber party at her parent's house for the children of those invited. Now, its a lovely idea and it is really sweet of her to think about those children who cant be left alone, however, I let her know with our RSVPs that our kids will not be attending.

To put it bluntly, my 17 year old and my 4 yr old (and all in between) were invited, a 4yr old is going to be bored with the older ones, and a 17yr old is probably not going to be too hyped up about being babysat by a nanny with a group of small children. I discussed it with my kids and none of them wanted to go, so we worked out other things.

Sasha is going to stay with my in laws, he is still only little and the idea of a big sleepover with adults and other kids he didnt know was a bit scary for him, whereas a sleepover at Nan and Pop's house he was very happy about (and really, im not much of an overprotective parent, but im still much more comfortable with the idea of my 4yr old staying with his grandparents than with strangers, I feel like id be able to enjoy my evening more because I know he's safe) Lux and Sunny are going to my SIL's house, she has twin daughters who are 11 and the four of them are inseperable, so theyre excited because SIL is taking them all to the drive ins to see a movie and theyre going to have a fun night. Azriel is staying with one of his friends, apparently theyre having a horror movie marathon, and Dita is staying home and im going to assume that her girlfriend will come over.

All fine. HOWEVER the mother of the bride is a little cut at me over this choice. I just found an email she sent me last night informing me that I cannot just drop my kids off at her house if whatever plans I have fall through because they have catered for only 8 children who will be attending. I emailed her back saying thats fine, and I look forward to seeing her at the wedding. I got a call this morning from DH saying the mother of the bride stopped into his work to pick up a few picture books, which are going to be read by the nannies tonight, he was in a meeting but she made a point to hang around until he got back to let him know that she was disappointed that our kids wont be attending the slumber party and that its too late to change our minds now, but it was going to be the most awesome slumber party ever.

I dont know why she did that. The library branch my husband runs is nowhere near her house, she has to drive by two other libraries in the same district (so her card will work at all of them) just to casually flip through picture books which all branches have and pick out a few, then to hang around until my husband came out of his meeting to gloat about the awesome party. Like he said to me, does she expect a 17yr old, 15yr old, 12yr old and 10yr old to sit down and listen to a nanny read a Maisy book to them?

Im just really annoyed, I didnt say yes then change my mind, it was no right from the beginning, were still going to the wedding, which is the important event here, and really, where my kids are is no business of this woman's.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I think it's a silly thing to be hurt by, but that's what it sounds like. I honestly have no clue why either, they have a great idea but should be able to respect that for some kids that isn't the best solution.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I totally agree with you, I would have done the exact same thing that you did. I don't ever leave my kids with strangers (though I realize that can be different when they're older like staying at friends' houses etc). And I wouldn't make my kids go to something that is potentially stupid and boring just to be polite to my family. I think that she is just being immature and she's probably irritated with the money she spent on the occasion that perhaps wont be getting taken advantage of to her liking. She probably expected a big fiasco, but with your bunch not going it's going to be much smaller and she probably feels sore that she's spent all the time and money on something not that many kids are actually going to. Oh well for her. I don't see how she'd imagine everyone would just automatically feel obligated to do that anyway. Geez.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Its not even my family, its a friend of mine from high school's wedding, I havent really had much to do with her mother since I was 18 (and im now in my 40's...) Which makes it even stranger.

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Xero said:
She probably expected a big fiasco, but with your bunch not going it's going to be much smaller and she probably feels sore that she's spent all the time and money on something not that many kids are actually going to.
I bet that's it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
you did the right thing RSVPing and being up front about the whole thing, I'm sure she has some irrational fear that suddenly more kids will show up. I would think that once you've made it clear that you are not relying on them for any child care that she should let it drop. I'm betting she's a controlling type person and she fears the 70 things that aren't going to happen. Is she mad at you, or just stressed? I'm sensing a bit more of the latter.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Well, she avoided us all night (to the point of literally running in the other direction) so I have no idea what her deal is.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Chances are, it was her "great idea" and she is bothered hardly anyone took her up on it. The good news is that you've hardly seen in her in the last 20 years.. so you won't have to deal with her little drama much in the next 20. :)