Planning for child with molestor in family...

Maria

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2010
South
I really, really need advice about my inlaws! My husband and I are planning our first baby, and while I am not pregnant, I am very worried about an issue with my uncle-in-law. You see, he molested his two step daughters (he is still married to their mother). The molestation occured over a decade ago. I am told that it occured over a very short period of time before the man became disturbed and disgusted with himself, and he then sought counseling and conquered this issue. I am told he never molested them again after counseling, and his younger blood daughter and son he never molested. He is now a deacon at his church and is extremely religious. My problem is, I do not want the man to be alone with my child, EVER. My problem is compounded because all of my inlaws on that branch of the family live on the same property. They are all neighbors in separate houses on the same property. The grandmother lives in the center, in a house to the side lives that uncle with wife and two youngest children, and on the other side a different aunt and uncle, and closest to the grandmother lives my husband's mother.

The entire family sees this man as a changed man. I have never spoken to them about the uncle, but I know their personality. I have seen a druggie play them over by claiming to be saved by Jesus, and he stayed with them for a while milking them for all he could get, and then he left never returning any gratitude to them. Since this uncle is blood, I know they would defend his good name to the bitter end. I tried talking to my husband about it, and my husband insisted his uncle was a "changed man" and that he would "never touch our children". When I told my husband flatly I would not want our children alone with him, my husband retorted that he did not want to talk about his until I was actually pregnant.

Try to understand that I was molested as a child by my cousin at age 10 and also raped (meaning he penetrated me) by my middle aged baby sitter at age six. I was best friends with my cousin when he molested me. I know devil's come in the clothing of angels. I do not want my uncle in law to "relapse" with my children. I do not want them to experience the hell I did. To make matters even worse, my in laws do not know that I know my uncle-in-law molested his step-daughters. I worry they will not respect and honor my request for the child to never be alone with him, so I fear ever letting my child spend the night with grandma and great grandma alone since the uncle lives on the same property. At the same time, I do not want to hurt my mother-in-law and grandma-in-law's feelings. I want my children to be able to happily spend the night at grandma and great grandma's.

I know my in-laws will brush this all off as him being "a changed man saved by Jesus"... They've done this to me in the past on less important issues. I plan on simply telling the uncle's wife flat out "No" with the baby sitting without even giving a reason why, because frankly, I do not need to give her a reason. I will never drop my child off directly at the uncle's house alone. But the fact that he lives on the same property with the others complicates things so much! I do not know what to do and it is stressing me out!

To top it off, my husband and I think I may be pregnant. We're just waiting to take a test because it is too early still to get a correct reading. What should I do? How should I approach this? Is there an appropriate age I could leave my child with grandma and great grandma with him or her being old enough to know not to go along with the uncle's "games"? Or should I simply never leave my kid alone on the property ever? Also, should I approach my in laws about this, or just simply never leave them there unsupervised? I don't think my husband will even let me broach the subject with them because he has already hinted that he doesn't want me discussing it with them. What do you guys think?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
First I want to say that I'm with you - I don't care how "changed" someone is, I would never, ever leave my child alone with someone who has molested children in the past. Chances are he has changed, and would never hurt her, but if there is a 0.1% change of him molesting her, its too much. The problem with giving him the benefit of the doubt is that by the time you realise that it was a mistake it is too late. Your child has already been traumatised, and will have to live with it for the rest of her life.

My foster father was also an important man in the church and the community (and a foster parent!), and he never molested his own daughter, and yet I know he raped several of his daughter's friends...

As for an appropriate age - that would be the age when he/she is old enough to not interest him anymore (18?). I would go with don't leave a child unsupervised on that property - ever. If he has access to the house, even grandpa and grandma sleeping down the hall is not enough - no one is as blind as those who don't WANT to see! If I were in your shoes, the only way my child would ever sleep on that property was <U>with me in the same room</U>.

About talking to them - you will know best how receptive they will be, but from what you say it sounds like that conversation will just end in a fight with no winners, so I'll just set it as a non-negotiable rule that you child will never be unsupervised on that property - full stop.

You are the mother, and that gives you the right to refuse to let your kid stay there, regardless of how paranoid anyone else thinks you are.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
This is something I would not bend on, or even applogize for. I would make myself very very clear right from the get go. My child must never be alone with this man, ever, under any circumstances. And if anyone tries to convince you otherwise, then that person will not be allowed to be alone with the child either. It is too great of a risk to take with your child and you KNOW this better than anyone since it has happened to you.

As much as it would stink to cause a rift in the family, you have to stick to your guns on this one. Your main priority will be the safety of your child. This is simply not a risk that I would be willing to take and I completely understand where you are coming from.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
I agree fully with the others. It may be tough but unfortunately the only person in this world that you can trust fully is yourself. Occasionally my family gets ticked off at me because how particular I am with the children. I just don't let it become an argument by saying I have made my decision and that's it.

Getting the husband on board is a tough one. I really don't know how to handle that issue. You somehow have to get him to understand how frightened you are because of how it affected you as a child. I am really stuck on that one. In the en though if it were me I would protect my children first then preserve my marriage second.

I know people whom were also "changed" by God and it was all BS

My step-sisters (my step-dad's children) were both raped by their step-dad then they grew up and their step-dad "changed". Then h molested an/or raped all of my step-sisters children until my youngest niece called the police. Until then most of the family including myself, my step-dad and my mother never knew that any of this had happened. My step-sisters mother knew what was going on the whole time and did nothing.

People can change but it's not worth the risk when defenseless children are involved.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Hi Maria,
You must be terrified. I agree with everyone here, please do not ever leave your children in the same place where this man is. You are correct to be concerned, and like NinjaBob said, save the children first preserve the marriage later.

All I can say about the religious thing is that he knows how lucky he was not to be thrown in jail,(if he wasn't) and is hiding behind the robe. I don't believe child molesters can change, maybe they can control their urges, but I don't think they can prevent those urges from occurring with in themselves. I wouldn't want my children around him when those thoughts are running through his head.

Maybe, there's a person on that Branch of the family who agrees with you, have you tried to sought someone out? Because that will certainly make it easier for you to make your husband understand how right your concerns are.

Good luck and please stand your ground on this one.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
stjohnjulie said:
This is something I would not bend on, or even applogize for. I would make myself very very clear right from the get go. My child must never be alone with this man, ever, under any circumstances. And if anyone tries to convince you otherwise, then that person will not be allowed to be alone with the child either.
This exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have NO reason to trust this guy, and EVERY reason NOT to trust him. I would never let my child spend the night on any of the property, and I would only leave the child there during the day for a couple hours maximum for a family visit or what have you, with EVERYBODY under the strict orders of absolutely never leaving the child alone with the guy. And like julie said, anyone who argues it doesn't need to be left alone with the child either because that just shows that they wont honor your wishes when you turn your head.

I have read a lot of stuff on pedofiles and seen bits on tv about it as well, and being a pedofile is pretty much written into your brain, like a mental illness. You can't just change your mind about it one day. They can learn to control themselves and whatnot, but it is always there in their brain and there is ALWAYS a chance of relapse. I personally would not put my child up for risk of being the victim of said relapse. That guy is lucky he's not in jail where nobody has to be afraid of him. Everyone in the world should know he's a sex offender, he should be punished and marked just like the rest of the sex offenders in the world.

TabascoNatalie - I'm sure its not just that easy. Even if there were a sex offender in my family, it wouldn't be just that easy for me to pack my family up and move far away... I don't really see that as a logical answer. I don't know about the OP, but for my family moving away would mean losing our jobs, our friends, our nice school district, and the town that we literally both grew up in. Not only that but I think the OP would like her kids to have a relationship with the rest of the family members (aside from the guy making things difficult), otherwise she just wouldn't bother at all.

Maria

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2010
South
Thanks for all the responses you guys! Yes, packing up and moving to another town would mean to me exactly what it means to Xero. My husband has a very good job where we live and with the economy the way it is, it would be difficult to sell our house and find another place. The vast majority of both of our families live in our town. We both grew up here, and I would like to live this close to the rest of our family.

Honestly, the situation in my husband's family baffles me. I mentioned before that my cousin molested me, so it is understood in my family that children are not left alone with him. Nobody in my family leaves children with him. My husband's family almost seems to protect the uncle and this just confuses me. His wife seems so nonchalant about it, and it was her children that were molested!

I'll do my best to get my husband on board. I think I can probably get him to understand where I am coming from. Afterall, this will be his child too, so I am sure I can convince him when he sees how serious I am. I just won't leave the children alone on the property at all. I already know they would not honor my request to never leave them alone over at that uncle's house... because they just don't consider him a pedo. I cannot tell them it is because the uncle is a child molestor (even though they know he is) because this would only cause a huge rift in the family. If my husband's mom and grandma ask why I never let them baby sit or have children stay the night, what should I tell them for a good excuse? I don't really want to cause problems between my husband and his mom &amp; grandma, and telling them the truth would. Do you guys have any good excuses?

Maria

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2010
South
Oh, and if you guys want know how I know the in laws would leave my child alone with the uncle... It is because the in laws already leave other people's children (other grandkids, nieces, nephews, etc) alone in the uncle's house with him. They are children belonging to inlaws who also live on the same property as the grandma (and uncle). I don't have much say because those children are not mine and the parents already know the uncle's history. I know for a fact they know because I asked my husband, and he confirmed that everyone on the property knows. They found out because they all lived on the property when the molestation occured. So yeah, that's how I know they would not honor my wishes, and that's why I am trying to come up with a different excuse than the truth. Telling them the truth as to why I won't leave my child (when I have my child) alone there would probably only make things more difficult for me.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Xero is right - once a pedo, always a pedo. You can learn to control your urges, but the urges will always be there.

Maria said:
I'll do my best to get my husband on board. I think I can probably get him to understand where I am coming from. Afterall, this will be his child too, so I am sure I can convince him when he sees how serious I am. I just won't leave the children alone on the property at all. I already know they would not honor my request to never leave them alone over at that uncle's house... because they just don't consider him a pedo. I cannot tell them it is because the uncle is a child molestor (even though they know he is) because this would only cause a huge rift in the family. If my husband's mom and grandma ask why I never let them baby sit or have children stay the night, what should I tell them for a good excuse? I don't really want to cause problems between my husband and his mom &amp; grandma, and telling them the truth would. Do you guys have any good excuses?
How about telling them the truth, but in such a way that they would end up rolling their eyes and walking away - Sorry mom, dad, but I'm just completely paranoid. I know I'm probably being silly and overreacting, but I won't close an eye all night if my child isn't in my house. No mention of the uncle...

If you would feel comfortable with this, you could also occasionally get them to babysit at your house while you and hubby go out somewhere. That way they won't feel that its them you don't trust...

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Even though I do not think you need to make an excuse for protecting your child, you could do like singledad says and make it seem like it's <I>your</I> issue, not an issue with them.

I do think that once the baby comes the 'mama bear' will come out in you and you will have no problem saying what needs to be said. And hopefully, your husband will get the 'papa bear' out in him too and realize that leaving your child in the care of the in laws is too big of a risk to take.

I am generally a shy, non confrontational person, but when it comes to my son and protecting him, I make no apologies for what I feel I have to do or say to keep him safe and healthy.

Your concerns are valid and I am behind you 100%.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Xero said:
TabascoNatalie - I'm sure its not just that easy. Even if there were a sex offender in my family, it wouldn't be just that easy for me to pack my family up and move far away... I don't really see that as a logical answer. I don't know about the OP, but for my family moving away would mean losing our jobs, our friends, our nice school district, and the town that we literally both grew up in. Not only that but I think the OP would like her kids to have a relationship with the rest of the family members (aside from the guy making things difficult), otherwise she just wouldn't bother at all.
i agree it's not easy. it is never easy. but if their extended family is scary anyhow, people do that. so it is healthier to live elsewhere, and just to come as guests, than to worry that your extended family would do sometingvery wrong :(

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
I'll add my voice to the mix in agreement.

I would say this: you NEED to get your husband totally, 100% on-board with this. I know you said you might already be pregnant, but honestly, this needs to be totally resolved BEFORE you have a baby. If you cannot trust your husband to back you on this, there will come a time when he "slips" and leaves your child with the grandmother, who promptly invites the uncle over.

Frankly, I think you're sweeping the core issue under the carpet. Do you really want a world where you're constantly trying to lie and make up reasons why you can't leave your child with them? You'll be emotionally exhausted by the time the child is 3 (together with the physical exhaustion that comes from having a 3-year old :D).

I believe that you should sit down with the family, together or individually, and explain precisely what your decision is, <I>and why</I>. Explain, if you care to, your own history and the negative impact it had on your life.

Do it calmly and respectfully, and be sure to say that you're proud of the way your uncle has turned his life around . . . but that doesn't mean that you are willing to risk your child. Just as it wouldn't be good for a reformed alcoholic to be hanging out at a keg party, it wouldn't be good for this man to spend time alone with your daughter, and the stakes are soooo much higher. This is NOT about the uncle (although they will likely to try to make it so). It's about what you perceive as an unacceptable risk to your child.

Will this conversation go well? Probably not. It may cause the huge family rift you fear. But, you will have been honest, and respectful, and you can hold your head high and avoid lying for the next eighteen years.

I don't know what your relationship with the uncle is in general, but if you're on speaking terms, I'd even consider speaking with HIM directly. Explain yourself to him directly, and again tell him you have profound respect for the changes he has made, but you hope he understands. He could in effect become one of your strongest proponents - the one person who can tell the rest of the family to back off.

How realistic is my suggestion? Perhaps not very. But it seems to me the solution that would take the least emotional toll on you over the years, especially if you had the support of a loving spouse. And frankly, if your spouse isn't in your court on this, you should probably think long and hard about whether you want to have a child with this man.

~s

Maria

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2010
South
singledad said:
Xero is right - once a pedo, always a pedo. You can learn to control your urges, but the urges will always be there.

How about telling them the truth, but in such a way that they would end up rolling their eyes and walking away - Sorry mom, dad, but I'm just completely paranoid. I know I'm probably being silly and overreacting, but I won't close an eye all night if my child isn't in my house. No mention of the uncle...

If you would feel comfortable with this, you could also occasionally get them to babysit at your house while you and hubby go out somewhere. That way they won't feel that its them you don't trust...
That is really, really good. I think I'll handle it like that. Thanks!

Maria

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2010
South
@Sbattisti- I get along somewhat good with the uncle. He's a nice person, but I dislike being in his presence. This has nothing to do with his history, because I felt this way towards him before I ever found out about his history. It's hard to explain, because the uncle is overly sweet and accommodating, but it's like when I'm around him there's a strange aura that comes over me and I have to leave... And I have probably just made you think that I'm completely weird. Anyways as a result, I do not know the uncle personally very well, and I think he's under the impression that I dislike him.

I understand where you are coming from and approaching it like that probably would prevent me from experiencing an emotional toll,... but it would be unfair to my husband. This is his family, and what do you think he would experience for the rest of his life while married to me? A huge emotional toll. This is because everytime he would visit his family, he would then listen to them bad mouth me about how they cannot believe my actions and words. My parents did this for three whole years to me with my husband, and I know how draining it is to constantly have to defend your spouse, cause it hurts since they are family too. My parents only recently a couple of years ago changed their mind about my husband, cause they saw how wrong they were about him. I don't want to subject my husband to such an emotional toll just to selfishly avoid an emotional toll of my own. I will not confront them about this cause I know how they will already react.

I agree this is something that should be discussed before having a kid, but my husband just does not feel the same way. He's a procrastinator and not the type to plan ahead (hence I handle the finances and such...). I really feel he will jump on board with me when I become pregnant. I just think I caught him off guard because the uncle was something he did not even consider, and when I challenged his "reformed man" theory with the thought of him relapsing on our kid, he seemed to deeply consider this and even agreed that I was right, but then simply said he was not going to discuss anything else about it until I'm actually pregnant. I just suspect my husband feels trapped in the middle between me and the rest of his family now, and needs time to process this (hopefully). I know my husband truly believes his uncle is a changed man because he loves him, but I also know my husband sees my point already and I am confident he will back me in the future. I am going to sit down and try to discuss this with him one more time tonight, perhaps if he sees I am still worried about it he'll be more willing to discuss it. I think I'll use the comparison to a reformed alcoholic that you used, cause it is a really good one, for our future discussions. Thanks!

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Maria said:
@Sbattisti- I get along somewhat good with the uncle. He's a nice person, but I dislike being in his presence. This has nothing to do with his history, because I felt this way towards him before I ever found out about his history. It's hard to explain, because the uncle is overly sweet and accommodating, but it's like when I'm around him there's a strange aura that comes over me and I have to leave...
Mmmm.... my wife always used to say that most women have what she called "creep radar". It sounds like he sets off your "creep radar"... ;)

I've been thinking about Natalie's suggestion of moving away - another problem with that is that visits will then inevitable involve sleeping over - something that you are trying to avoid at all cost.

I don't think there is much more to add. Sbattisti makes a very good point, but I also understand your response to it. I truly hope that you will be able to get your husband on board - if the two of you can fight this fight together, it will be a lot easier.

Whatever you do - don't give in. You are 100% right in not wanting to leave your child alone with him. Stay strong, and stick to your guns. We are all behind you. ;)

bosox1789

Banned
Nov 9, 2010
You need to sit him down and talk to him about your concern, ensure he is a changed man, and really get your voice heard. this is not an easy situation to deal with it sounds like and i do not blame you for feeling the way you do

Maria

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2010
South
I finally got my husband to talk with me some more about it, and we are both in agreement not to leave our child alone over there period. He understood a lot better where I was coming from when I compared the uncle to a recovering alcoholic. I am so relieved! Thanks everyone for your support. :)

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
thats great maria!!!! I've been reading the responses, and just didnt know how to word what I wanted to say. I think you are 100% right in not wanting a child around a "recovering" child molester. I'd feel the same. and thats great that you and your husband are now on the same page :) Good luck on your quest to becoming pregnant :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
You must be hugely relieved! I'm so glad that this wasn't as big of an issue with your husband as you had feared. I hope your uncle in law has really changed and I hope he never has a slip in his recovery, but I am very very happy that you are sticking to your guns on this one!