PLEASE Help is this common?...

cjhays

Aug 17, 2011
Kansas
My 6 year old daughter is the most pickiest eater. She takes forever to eat because she plays with it, doesn't want to eat it, throws a fit, won't sit down. I am concerned about getting this taken care of before she has a really bad eating disorder. And can this be the start of a eating disorder. She will not eat if she doesn't like the food. She sooo loves sweets. I wish there was some way that i could get her to eat more healthy food. Then possily reward with a sweet. But then I feeli like i am rewarding her for bad behavior and for eating when you really shouldn't do that. I am at my wits end on what to do for her. I sure hope that you all can help me figure out what to do for her. I am afaid that she will become unhealthy if this is left unattended. ALL suggestions appreciated.:confused:<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
hmmmmm, "she sooo loves sweets..." Do you love sweets? Not throwing stones here...I know that my kids' bad eating habits are because of our examples. If you lived in a household where only spinach and tofu existed she'd no doubt find spinach and tofu delightful. So, just saying maybe it's time to overhaul the family food inventory.

Second, I don't have a problem with using a sweet as a treat and a reward, as long as it's not "another sweet." So, if she's already having sweets and the issue is that she get's another one by complying to your dietary wishes, then it's not likely to be an effective reward anyway.

I think 6 is a little too young to build a logical case for why we eat this and not that. i think you're going to have to be a little sneaky and maybe redo what you're eating too.

I wouldn't worry about using sweets as a treat leading to eating disordrs, but I think you're on the rtight wavelength that whenever we use food for anything other than fuel (i.e. emmotional eating, justifying a day of bad eating, or manipulation through eating habits.) it can lead to disorders. I think it's okay to say that food is fuel and we need good food to fuel us right. i thinki it's also okay to let her make some choices, are there good foods she'll chose? and then later you can expand to more foods? (let her win, for now....)

Squishy

PF Regular
Aug 13, 2011
I think you're over thinking this.

First, eating disorders are about self image and control, not eating, per se. The eating issues are the symptoms of the underlying conflict.

Second, it might be best to include your daughter in meal planning so she feels she's participating in the selection, and maybe even the prep. Food isn't just about nourishment, it's also emotional..maybe by focusing on that part, you can make meal time 'fun'. If she experiences meal time differently, she's more likely to participate.

Third, try to stay away from control struggles with her around food. Your anxiety here is easily misunderstood by her as intrusive, and Six has a knee jerk response to that. It's Ok to offer sweets at the end of a meal...commonly called 'dessert'....or just plain let her not eat. At some point, she'll come around and want to, if only out of hunger.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I had similar issues with my kids when they were younger. I was so worried about it and really pushed food, but that only turned it into a power struggle and made the problem worse. Once I backed off and took a more relaxed approach they began to eat much better. I served healthy meals and snacks and didn't force them to eat. Sweets and junk food not even in the house unless for something special or an occasional treat. I allowed them to graze/snack throughout the day on healthy snacks. Watch what they eat over several days, not daily. My daughter would eat like a bird for a couple days and then make up for it and eat like a horse for 2 or 3.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I wouldn't try to force any child to eat, but that's just me. I don't think they are going to let themselves starve. I wouldn't cater to them either, and I wouldn't let them eat sweets if they didn't eat a healthy meal first. Not that I'm always very good about providing healthy meals. And this is easy for me to say because my child is usually a pretty good eater. She has and does, however, go through stages where she seems to eat nothing. I just let her.

My sister's kids are catered to, and they are a nightmare to feed. Either the entire family has to eat what they will eat, or they have to have special meals prepared. I'd say, let them go hungry a few times and they'll eat what is put in front of them. As my daughter quotes her daycare teacher, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

Having said all this, there are sometimes issues with muscle in the mouth, but I think you would have noticed it by now. My nephew has to have food therapy, but he had a stroke during birth, so he has a number of minor physical challenges, and this is one of them. I didn't know such a thing existed until he came around.

I edited to add that I have had moments of panic when I've measured and weighed her and realized she is underweight, but I've decided it is because she has the physique of a child a couple of years older than she is when they start to slim down, so I've given up worrying about that.

Last edited:

cjhays

Aug 17, 2011
Kansas
Ok let me get this a little better.......I am diabetic so I don't have the ability to eat sweets. So for snacks I have some cookies for them or ice cream, fruit snacks. She has one of those and then when it is time for dinner she just sits there and plays with her food. Even if she is hungry. I am lucky if she eats half of the half of the food I put on her plate. I guess I will work on asking her to help me pick, the food that we are going to eat and offer her to assist on nights that is possible. Any other suggestions are appreciated. THANKS
;)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I was a super picky eater when I was young, as was my sister. We looked like little birds...both very thin. But we were not malnourished...just skinny. My mom always made a home cooked balanced meal and what we had is what we had. We had to have two bites of everything on the plate in order to 'qualify' for a dessert of fruit. In order to get the good stuff... ice cream! we had to eat a small serving of everything. And guess what, we all survived and even ate ice cream pretty often. There were some nights my sister an I knew that we might not even be able to get a fruit for a dessert...I hated fish when I was a kid and couldn't seem to choke it down. But I'm glad that my mom didn't bend the rules or change the menu just because one of us hated something. It'll be a struggle at first, but just keep with it.

I think getting her involved in the planning/shopping/cooking process is a great way to get her more excited about it. Kids love to eat what they cook, even if it tastes horrible :D

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I think it's normal. Children's taste palates are not developed the same as adults, I learned that some place on this board. lol

My son was also a picky eater, and I didn't mind making him what he enjoyed. I was more interested in him liking food and enjoying his meals than teaching him who's boss in this situation as my MIL did with her kids.

I also ran it by his doctor who said as long as he eats healthy food so what? In my case he liked chicken, potato's and string beans. So that's what I made him most of the time. And today he's still a little picky, but eats well.

Good luck.

Squishy

PF Regular
Aug 13, 2011
cjhays said:
Ok let me get this a little better.......I am diabetic so I don't have the ability to eat sweets. So for snacks I have some cookies for them or ice cream, fruit snacks. She has one of those and then when it is time for dinner she just sits there and plays with her food. Even if she is hungry. I am lucky if she eats half of the half of the food I put on her plate. I guess I will work on asking her to help me pick, the food that we are going to eat and offer her to assist on nights that is possible. Any other suggestions are appreciated. THANKS
;)
Clarification always helps! Being diabetic changes your own perceptions as they're based on experience. You don't know what ice cream does/feel like before dinner!

Snacks: Fruits, raw veggies, whole grains....not processed sweets, like cookies or ice cream. High processed sugar=longer metabolic processing time=less hunger at dinner time.

Save the processed sugar for dessert when the effects of them naturally are metabolized overnight!

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I am diabetic so I don't have the ability to eat sweets.
Just to clarify..I'm assuming you're Type 2?

Anyway, yes it's very normal. Kids love sweets, always have, always will.
I say stand your ground, don't give in. If she wants a snack or something give her celery with some peanut butter sor something else healthy.

Like someone else said, kids usually won't starve themselves, if they're hungry enough they will eat.

And no, I don't think this is the start of an eating disorder...I think it's just a normal picky eater.

mentalmum

May 7, 2011
Australia
cjhays, I too have a picky eater, although mine is now older than yours (she's 11). We got so worried about her very restricted diet that we actually took her to the doctor and said, please help! Our doctor suggested making sure she eats a very good breakfast with plenty of protein - for my daughter, this means she eats scrambled eggs, toast, and Greek yoghurt with some honey and cinnamon mixed in, every single morning. The dr said if she eats a good breakfast each day, and then is offered healthy foods through the day and chooses some/any of those, she will get through this period of her eating tastes. We also give her a kids' multivitamin daily to make sure she's not missing out on anything vital through her diet. So, my daughter's diet now consists of: Breakfast - scrambled eggs, toast, yoghurt with honey/cinnamon; morning tea - fruit of her choice (she eats apples, strawberries and watermelon); lunch - sandwich on good quality bread, she usually has cream cheese or plain butter, sometimes cucumber; afternoon tea - this is her small treat, she might get a cookie or cupcake, generally whatever I've baked that week, + more fruit or a sandwich; dinner - this is where she really struggles - she eats usually only carbohydrates such as rice, pasta or potatoes, and cucumber. she does not eat meat usually, she doesn't like it. She doesn't eat other vegetables much, sometimes she will eat raw carrot but if you cook a vegetable she will not touch it under any circumstances. She does eat cheese, so cheese and crackers are another snack she will sometimes have.

I guess, try the things others have suggested, like involving her in food choices and preparation, but also make sure in any way you can that she's getting a good range of nutrients. I don't think six is too young to start learning about healthy foods/unhealthy foods, and talking about how some foods are really good for us but other foods are only good in small amounts. Talk about how she's grown since she was a little baby, and how that's because you fed her healthy good foods to help her grow. Help her to see that to grow even bigger and be healthy to run and jump and play and do all sorts of fun things, her body needs good healthy food like your car needs petrol and if it doesn't have enough it will just stop dead. Only maybe don't use the word dead!

I bet there are good books out there about nutrition for kids, maybe your local library would be a good place to look? And you could always take her to a dietitian or your doctor if you are still worried.

I wish you all the best - it's hard work trying to get a picky eater to eat healthily when they resist with all their might!

squirty

Aug 23, 2011
That sounds like my 6 year old daughter to a tee...
Shes in the 1 percetile for weight (I think she just broke 30 lbs)
My doc says not to worry about it and Im not.
She will pick for days and then eat like a shark one day. Ive learned to judge her weekly intake opposed to her daily input.

allegrasworld

PF Regular
Aug 24, 2011
I have a 10 year old that has been eaating chicken nuggets and fries for dinner and pbj for lunch every day since she was about 4. I tried everything to change her eatting habit. I have 4 other kids and none of them eat like that. I sent her to camp this year and she came back eatting lots of new foods....Go figure.

Pixiemaz

Sep 1, 2011
Our 5 year old boy has always been a very fussy eater - and sometimes it's not even about the food itself - it could sometimes be about presentation or whether it was jumbled up with other foods etc.

We've found the best way to deal with it is offer things freely, so he can choose himself, and sometimes a reverse psychology of saying they're not allowed to have something, which raises their interest in it.

Subtlety is the key quite often.

Bazam

Sep 2, 2011
:confused:</EMOJI>[/QUOTE]

We have the same issue with our 8 year old daughter minus the fit throwing part. She eats like a bird and doesn't want much to do with healthy food. She does loves sweets but we try to give them to her in moderation. And yes, we enjoy baking brownies and what not. However, we only bake a couple times a month, if that.

She will pick at her food, let it get cold, and so on. At first we thought it was the TV, so we turned that off. But we soon found that she ate a little better, but not a lot. She simply doesn't eat much, ever. I found that rewarding her with something like Game Time, a Movie (On Netflix), or sweets ironically enough ... works. But it doesn't work to the point of where she is eating a healthy serving. :confused:

Alenysh

Sep 22, 2011
You may try such trick - compose interesting figures of food on the plate of your child! It may be some funny bear or bunny. Also I often repeat to my daughter that she should eat to be beautiful, to be able to play games and win, to wear nice dresses for princess ( as such dresses may wear only girls who are healthy because they are good eaters!) Hope it will help you too:)

MJCorr

PF Regular
Oct 6, 2011
My 10 year old was always a very picky eater. Mostly he would just eat pizza and hot dogs. We couldn't seem to get anything else into him, not even sweet stuff like brownies.

At the beginning of the summer we discovered he has dairy and wheat allergies. Not a total surprise since I have problems with both as well.

After my wife and I removed these from his diet he wanted to eat everything in sight. He is very good about checking labels to make sure there is no wheat or dairy in them but he will try just about anything now.

Only problem is he also likes the expensive stuff now. We go out for a hot dog...he'd rather have prime rib!

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
darn i typed a huge reply and my toddler knocked my hand, closing the window!
short answer is we have the family meal or cereal/sandwich.
kids serve themselves, but must clear their plate.
we have had the family meal since they started solids, so its part of our lives.
no dessert if dinner isnt eaten
unlimited acces to fresh fruit (we dont have any processed fruit/juice in the house)
there is no food stress in our home. if you dont eat then fine, but you wont get anything else.

nhendric

Oct 20, 2011
You are her role model, if you can set a good example for her by eating only healthy foods then she will follow. Of course they love sweets, but if you can encourage good eating habits, then she will follow in your footsteps. Good luck!