Please help! Parents in denial...

Katyy123

Jun 13, 2010
Just wondering if any other parent can offer suggestions. My brother's only son is very bright, but has been steadily doing worse and worse in school. He was getting A's in elementary school, mostly B's in middle school, D's (and a rare C) in high school (he's a freshman.) The mother says he is doing fantastic, doing everything a 15-year-old should do. (As an example, she said he puts his clothes away when they come out of the dryer.)
But the very day she was praising him that way, she mentioned that the night prior, he had returned home at 4:30 am without contacting his parents. And it was a school-night as well as a week before Finals. Furthermore, upon return, he argued for 20 minutes that he didn't do anything wrong.

Something to know:
- My nephew is bright. However, I don't think he's as bright as he and his parents believe (They all believe he is smarter than all his teachers and everyone else he has ever been in contact with.) His mother encourages this mentality--she said it is good to boost his self-esteem----and because she truly believes it. Whenever he says that this classmates are "so stupid" because they didn't understand something that he did, his mother praises him for being "so smart" (without verifying anything.)

- Though he is bright, I don't believe that alone can carry one through high school when the work gets more demanding.

- I don't know if drugs or alcohol are involved but at this point, I don't think so.

What then is the reason they give for his D's in almost every class?
Answer:

(1). He says that he scores 100% in all this tests and exams, which the parents don't verify so I don't know if it's true or not. He says he gets all D's because he skips class and misses assignments so it pulls his final grade down.

(2). They say he's failing because "he's too smart" and the schoolwork isn't challenging and stimulating enough. The work is "BORING", "repetitive" and students are "always doing the same thing."

1. English: He has to write an essay every 3-4 weeks, thus it's "always doing the same thing" (even though the subject matter is different.) She says: "He just needs to write one essay to knows how to write, he's not like other students who have to practice writing many essays. I read what he wrote and it was fabulous." When that fabulous piece won him a "D", she never wondered why. (She also never attended college so may not be a good judge.)
2. Math: Since math homework involves practicing similar problems to ensure proficiency, that again is "always doing the same thing."
3. Foreign language studies: Learning vocabulary and grammar means "always doing the same thing" and is "boring,"
4. Social studies: reading, answering questions, doing research, and writing papers means "always doing the same thing".

(3). They say he's failing because they don't have money to send him to a private school which would challenge him more. I pointed out that his public high school, one of the best in the nation, offers many honors and AP classes. She says he signs up for them---though of course he can't get into them with D's. Furthermore, which good private school with a challenging curriculum will accept a boy with almost all D's??

The boy's father (my brother) has a passive nature, and leaves child-rearing to his wife because he works 12-hour-days to make ends meet. She is a stay-at-home mom.

They ask me for help when there's a problem in school, but when I try to figure out what is going on so I can help, I bang against this thick wall of denial. I dearly, dearly love my nephew and am afraid that he is turning into a narcissist (if he isn't already one.) Teenagers already have narcissistic tendencies, and think they are better and smarter than everyone else. Here, the parents also think the same, and encourage that grandios mentality. Parents and child are equally convinced that all problems are someone else's fault, especially the teachers, the principal, the school district....the list goes on.

Anyone has any ideas, please??

Choppy

PF Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I'm not sure that there's a whole lot you, as an aunt, can do in this situation. Teachers see this all too frequently - the child starts to do poorly and the parents come to the child's defence rather than deal with the problem.

It is possible that he's bored with school and really the trick to getting around this is to get him to realize that sometimes in life we have to do boring stuff. Real life isn't an action video game.

One thing to consider is the mother's response. Is she defending him because she doesn't see it, or is pride a factor here. If she admits her son is failing, she might feel in some way that she hasn't done her job as a mother. (NOTE: I don't mean to validate that point of view, but I think thats sometimes how people can feel.) As a result, she tries to brush off the problem when talking about it with friends and relatives because it allows her to save face.

If this is the case, you may want to try not to approach the problem from a confrontational point of view. Rather, tell her you want to help if you can - even if that means being only a sounding board for ideas. Listen and ask questions that might help her to see things the way you see them.

I hope this helps.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't think being bored with school work because a child is "too smart" or "not being challenged enough" is EVER an excuse for bad grades. And its exactly that. An excuse. If he WAS smart, he would work hard and dedicate himself like he should. I went to a regular public school and I knew a handful of REALLY smart kids, all A's on everything, always knew exactly what they were talking about, always caught on the quickest, AND always did their homework, and always did it the best. Being smart is never an excuse for doing poorly. I mean, its an oxymoron to an extent, isn't it? I strongly believe that its just an excuse to get around admitting that your kid is being a normal, lazy teenager.

He doesn't feel like doing the work anymore, and suddenly socializing is more important than doing well in school and your friends' opinions are worth more than your teachers'. And that doesn't make him a BAD kid. It makes him normal. Its excellent that he's socializing that great, and perfectly normal that he is wanting to spend more time with his friends and do crazy teenager stuff. What he needs however is to get his priorities straight. Friends and fun stuff are important, but doing well in school is more important than that. He doesn't need to dedicate his whole life to doing his school work, but he does need to do it FIRST before doing his teenager thing. This would happen if his parents would dedicate more time on him. Chances are, they are busy people who would rather rely on the fact that their child is "so smart" and would prefer to think that what he's doing isn't his fault or isn't their fault. And really there's nothing wrong with him thinking he's smart, or even smarter than most people, but he's not acting very smart by letting his grades slip like this, and I think its perfectly ok to point that out to him. I personally always thought school was boring, no matter how easy or challenging the work was. It was still a bunch of crap that I had to do, that I didn't feel like doing. Had nothing to do with how smart I was. Which is why I think that's a load of bull.

Really its just as easy as staying consistant. Every night when he gets home from school, they should make sure the first thing he does is his homework. One hour every afternoon will not kill him!! Then its out of the way and he can do what he wants with the rest of the night. Even if he says he has no homework (its almost definitely a lie, in high school you DO have homework every day) they should have him sit at his desk or wherever a good homework place is and read or do something constructive. Chances are if he HAS to sit there anyway, he will do his homework. Every time they find out that he skipped a class or didn't hand in an assignment (this should be easy to track - they can keep up with it online no doubt, or at least keep in touch with his teacher via e-mail - if they care at all, they should be doing this already) then he should stay home that night. If he knows that completing his assignments during school means freedom after school, he'll probably learn to do them.

They really should not just be shrugging this off. You don't get into a good college just because your parents think you're smart even if you suck at school. And you don't graduate high school based solely on how smart your mom thinks you are. Teenagers need help with priorities and they need assistance in getting motivated. Sometimes you have to be a little strict, but like Choppy said not all things in life are exciting. School might be boring, but its important. I highly doubt he's "too smart" for the work anyway, its just a good excuse to put up as a front for being a teenager too focused on socializing. This happens to most kids his age. His parents need to be on top of it. He's on a slippery slope towards dropping out at this point. But of course, unfortunately you are not his parent and you can't really do much about it. You can offer up your opinion to them and that's about it. Otherwise they're just digging a hole and you'll have to let them learn from their mistakes.

coatkl7

Jun 15, 2010
New York City
I think the best idea is to have the parents involved in this young boy's school. Maybe having him go to an after-school academic program or to have him involved in other extracurricular activities may help him stay focused on something which may eventually lead him to focus more on school.
School isn't for everyone, but he should not be receiving Ds. The best thing might be for his parents to ease up, a little, on their expectations of him, and hope he will get Cs for now. If they think he's brighter than he is, he may feel like he will not be able to meet his parents expectations, so feels like what is the point in trying anyway.
I say don't have them give up, keep trying to motivate him and maybe stick to a curfew or something so he is not returning home at 4:30 am at the young age of 15.

Best of luck to your brother and sister-in-law, hope it all works out for them and their son!