Please Read!!! Regarding Circing Debate...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Due to high emotions on this subject, Parenting forums.org will not allow circumcision debates at this time. If you would like to share information on the pro or cons, that is acceptable but will remain on different threads in the health section of this board. If you have questions in regards to having it performed on your child, please ask in the health section. No one will be allowed to debate the issue however.
thanks for your cooperation!

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
just curious ... as ther are many subjects discussed here that are high on emotion ... I would say religion being #1 .... why is this topic banned and not others?
No offense is meant by this, but I dont understand the logic of restricting adults as to what can and cant be discussed ... everyone knows the consequence of their actions here.

I feel that if emotional topics are going to be banned then there should be a hard look at several of them.

I also hope the mods understand that the more restrictions that are applied to any group or forum ..the less members there are... and yes I know whats going on as of late ... but just pointing out fact and my disagreement with this decision.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
at this time religion threads have been handled appropriately. Circing deabtes lately have been way to emotional and tend to attack instead of debate properly.
Hopefully at some point it can be brought back in.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
THANK YOU! This particular topic was getting very old here and creating dissension among members.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
This is a cooling off period. We are also considering such HOT issues to be moderated (post don't appear unless a moderator approves the message). When a hot topic is moderated, people tend to take more time to state their point in a way stays within the forum guidelines.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
If you don't want open discussion on this policy, feel free to delete this.

I think a cooling off period is needed. But it would make more sense to me to have this include no further posts during this period on the subject at all. There's a ton of sites on this subject, so parents and parents-to-be would not be lacking other sources of information. And what is "information" to one poster might be seen as "misinformation" to others. If posts are allowed to present either the pros or the cons, this is just opening the door to one-sided debate, in which one thread posts to one extreme and, if anyone gets works up enough, someone else posts to the other. I can't see the benefit to it; it will simply be a debate spread out over threads. IMO it will turn off those who disagree and those who are entirely sick of the subject (although I think the "entirely sick of the subject" group encompasses nearly everyone).

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
We are working on a way to debate it. Which is why we are allowing information to be presented at this time. Hopefully we can work it out with admin and have it be able to be debated (if anyone still wants to.. cuz I do agree many are just sick of it lol). This will be a special section that would also include (most likely) abortion and religion deabtes.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
OK wait a min ... and again .. no disrespect intended here ... but Im sure you all know by now that Im relatively blunt ...

If you dont like whats on TV... you turn the channel .. if you dont want to debate a topic .. DONT GO IN THE THREAD ... isnt that what freedom is about?

Ive seem more issues over religion than to snip or not to snip ... hell .. most wars are started over religion ... politics is the other one ... the Canada/USA debate got emotional .. should we ban all of those as well?

I understand control vs chaos ... but I think theres a point and time when you have to look at the "adults".. and act like adults.

Look at it this way .. there are MANY MANY people against the war overseas ... and there are many people here that affiliated with the Armed Forces in some way ... should we disallow debates on war as well?

Sorry if Im ranting ... but I respectfully disagree with this decision the mods have made. Your alienating one persons views on a topic they are passionate about... and making a choice based on the fact that people dont want to hear about it.

My words on this have nothing personal to do with anyone on this board, but I have been on several groups over the years, and once you start dictating what can and cannot be discussed (barring illegal) you will loose members ... I prefer this group survived as I enjoy it.

thats my rant ... thanks for listening ... medications should kick in soon ;)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
you can rant all you like. Right now the only debate that has been out of hand on a regular basis has been the circing deabte. It tends to get very personal instead of people sticking to facts.
This is why we are working on a "hot topic" section, that will be the heated heated debates.
You are right that we should all act like adults, but unfortunatley it is not always the case. And on many many boards circing is prohibitted for the same reason.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Why not just warn the main person who starts the problem and tell them it's not welcome here in the text that she is talking about. Problem solved. Telling people they are mutilating their own children should have had that person banned but nothing happend. Fooser made a joke and he gets banned. I don't get the rules. They are al over the place.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
other members have been dealt with the way we have felt it is needed, you don't know what has been done and what has not. The person who used the mutiliation comment has been dealt with and hopefully does not need to be dealt with again. That is way over the line. I totally agree