Post your cold remedies....

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
We took my oldest in to the doc for an ear infection. We left with all 3 of us picking up a nasty cold. The kids have gotten over theirs but I just can't seem to kick mine.

I'm taking Echinacea, Emergen-C, using my NetiPot, gargling, fluids. I'll feel better for a day but then it's right back. It's been +2 weeks and I'm still all goopy and thinking slow.

Help! What do you suggest?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I had the nastiest cold for about a week and half, it went away for a week or so and now it's back full force.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Don't think it's a sinus infection. I've had those. This isn't as painful as one of them.

I'm wondering if that first cold knocked down my immune system and when I go run errands on the days I'm feeling better, I pick up a new one.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Sirk said:
Don't think it's a sinus infection. I've had those. This isn't as painful as one of them.

I'm wondering if that first cold knocked down my immune system and when I go run errands on the days I'm feeling better, I pick up a new one.
I think that's what happened to me. This cold made it's way around the whole family and I think being pregnant made it easier for me to catch it again. I find the only time I can breath well is when there is plenty of moisture in the air. The Doc said I could take Tylonal cold but I haven't tried it yet. Also honey always helped me when I had a cold but I guess that's a no-no while I'm preggo

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow it's so weird! I've been going through exactly the same thing. We visited my biomom in SC and all three of us got her cold. Eli's went away after like a week, BF's was gone around the same, and I had mine full force for like two weeks. Then for one day I would wake up feeling great and say "Hey I think my cold is gone! Finally, that's great." And then I would go to bed and wake up completely sick again. It is soooo weird. Then it was gone for a week or even more, maybe a couple. Now it's back again! I'm beginning to accept that I just wont get better lol. It's strange too, cause Eli and BF have been fine the whole time, never getting it back.

What's the big deal? D:

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
No vaporizer. But I don't have a cough. And I'm not gunky. It's a constant watery running + just feeling like crap. The sore throat comes and goes and I bet it's from the running nose.

Xero said:
Wow it's so weird! I've been going through exactly the same thing. We visited my biomom in SC and all three of us got her cold. Eli's went away after like a week, BF's was gone around the same, and I had mine full force for like two weeks. Then for one day I would wake up feeling great and say "Hey I think my cold is gone! Finally, that's great." And then I would go to bed and wake up completely sick again. It is soooo weird. Then it was gone for a week or even more, maybe a couple. Now it's back again! I'm beginning to accept that I just wont get better lol. It's strange too, cause Eli and BF have been fine the whole time, never getting it back.

What's the big deal? D:
I think moms do more. We don't rest when we're sick like we're supposed to. I just know if I took it easy and stayed in bed a couple of days I'd get better. But I have shit to do. If I don't, no one else will.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I know it, Sirk. That's the answer to it all, really. :( haha cause if we don't do it, who will? We're used to sleep deprivation, so we don't notice when we're tired. :p

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
Aww, I hope you feel better soon. There are some really nasty cold's going around right now. Bailey has been sick with a cold for the last few days.

If possible, stay in your house, wash your hands constantly, have a hot bath/shower, drink lots and lots of orange juice and make yourself as comfortable as possible. I would even say, keep distance between others in the house. Isolate yourself a little bit. If you pass the cold to them and you get better they could just be giving it back to you. Rent a few movies, lay in bed and eat some fruits/veggies. I don't know if you have ever tried Cold FX, but it's amazing stuff. I would suggest going to buy some. I started my daughter on it two days ago and she's feeling a lot better today.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
My neighbor clued me in that it might not be a cold.

Mountain Cedar Allergy.
From December through February, many people experience an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, nasal blockage, excess tearing and itchy eyes. Others complain of itching of the palate, throat, or ears, and post-nasal drainage. Some have fatigue, mild headache, facial discomfort, sore throat, partial loss of sense of smell, and sensation of ear plugging.

In addition to making a person feel ill due to allergies, this condition can interfere in a variety of ways with carrying out one's day to day responsibilities. Loss of sleep, limitation of activities, diminished productivity, poor concentration, emotional distress, irritability, fatigue, and practical problems such as repeated nose blowing and nose rubbing, all impact negatively on ability to carry out physical, social and work/school responsibilities effectively.
Yup. That's everything I've got. :(

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow... that's weird. Seems like my problem too. I wonder if that's it. Hm, interesting.