Potty Panic!...

Maser

PF Regular
Sep 25, 2010
CA
So long story short, my youngest son who's almost 3 years old has been having problems in the potty training department. Wife and I just found out what the problem is. While our son was at his Grandma's house, the toilet overflowed and it freaked him out and now he refuses to use the bathroom. Now that we figured out his problem and have taken the potty outta the bathroom and he has no issues. But he's still scared to be in the bathroom in general. Such as when he brushes his teeth or when we bathe him.

I know this post is rather short and to the point, but I need advice on how to break him of this fear! It just tears me up knowing that my boy is scared of a room in his own house. :(

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I once found a spider in our bathroom when I was a kid and refused to use it again for years. Luckily we had another.

Maybe you can just tell him he doesn't have to flush? Then it won't overflow. You can flush it for him until he conquers the fear. You know, it probably overflowed because three-year-olds think they need to use the whole roll.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
hmmm, ok he's only three, my thought might work with a slightly older child, maybe it'll work with him, might be wortha try.

It seems like sometimes the way to get over an irrational fear is to demonstrate how irrational it is. i.e. if you can prove there are no monsters under the bed, then the fear goes away, right?

So, what about dismantling a toilet and re-installing it? Demystify the "machine" by reducing it to pieces, he can see what's inside, and what's not inside, see how it works, mystery solved fear conquered...maybe?

Maser

PF Regular
Sep 25, 2010
CA
That's a really good idea! I do need to replace the wax seal soon, so that will be a good excuse to take the toilet apart and show him that it's not gonna hurt him.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Maser said:
That's a really good idea! I do need to replace the wax seal soon, so that will be a good excuse to take the toilet apart and show him that it's not gonna hurt him.
and I'd recommend a complete teardown, pull the tank off and replace the tank bolts. I never thought they'd wear out, but after a vigorous cleaning of the tank, I found one leaking around the tank bolts, and when I tore them apart found them well corroded.

Maser

PF Regular
Sep 25, 2010
CA
Sorry for the lengthy delay in my update here, but to be honest I forgot that I made this thread here.

Anyways, not only did I do the idea of taking the toilet apart when I changed the wax seal, but my boy and I sat and watched a show on TV where they explained how toilets are made and how they work. Forget what the show was called, but is was on Discovery Channel. Anyways, after he figured out that the toilet is not some monster puking water all over the place, he got over his fear literally instantly.

While I was happy about it, it started to make me aware of another problem. Our house only has one bathroom and yet we have 3 kids. My youngest is the priority when it comes to bathroom usage due to him just getting over potty training and him being the most likely to have an accident if not careful. My little brother is 15 so obviously if the bathroom is in use he can always either go outside or at a friend or girlfriend's house. Now the problem is with my oldest boy who's 7. He hasn't had an accident in awhile, but he has come extremely close several times all because the bathroom has been in use or because my youngest needed to use it. My oldest does understand why his little brother has the priority, but I just feel like he's not too happy about it. I have on a few occasions sensed a bit of sibling jealousy coming from his end, but I didn't say anything. I have heard from other parents with multiple kids that it's not uncommon for a kid in my oldest boy's position to want to start regressing back to being a baby again to try and get all the attention again. I really haven't let that worry me at all because even though I noticed signs of jealousy, I haven't noticed any sign that he wants attention.

Anyways, if anyone has advice on how to be a little more organized with the bathroom drama, then please share.

JakeW

PF Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2013
I know this might be easier said than done. But how about installing a second bathroom somewhere?

Or if you have a garage, some people will install a urinal which really doesn't take up much maintenance, time and money to get it done. Not sure if you're a home owner or not, but man, three kids and just one bathroom is kinda rough!

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Why don't you just get him one of those training potties? You know, the little ones you can find at any department store, which have to be manually emptied. He's only two; that's the age they are designed for! Then there will always be a "toilet" just for him, and the one with plumbing will always be available for someone else. It's not like toddlers lock the door when they go anyway. You can keep it in the regular bathroom next to the "real" toilet (or in the hallways just outside if it's really crowded).