(Potty training question)Problem: Bowl is too small...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
A cup of vinegar in the wash, it's also a great natural fabric softener. Throw the does in with it if the are washable. If not spray down with some vinegar give a good wipe and let them air dry.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Washing soda and borax are great additives for getting out smells, and you can find them in the laundry detergent aisle. (Washing soda is not baking soda. I have no idea what baking soda would do in the wash cycle; I only used it to absorb odors before the wash.)

Wash the shoes if you can. If not, pull out the soles and wash them instead. You can also try sprinkling Gold Bond in the shoes.

Last edited:

JakeW

PF Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2013
Well, I managed to salvage the shoes! they're like new again :)

The clothes are a different story,
They look exactly like this and made out of a microfleece material

I went to this website and followed these directions
http://www.armandhammer.com/news/super-washing-soda-usage-directions.aspx[/URL]
It seemed to work at first, but within an hour or two, the smell of pee hit me hard when he parked his rear end on the couch. These are his favorite pj's and I hate to let them go. :( Got them a Kohl's but only the footed ones are available now but those are much too small for him.
My biggest mistake was letting them dry out in the sun because the urine will penetrate through and crystallize! :mad:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I'll say it again...vinegar. The clothes won't smell like it. With 8 kids, 3-4 dogs and an equal number of cats I have become urine queen (that's just nasty), and it works. I avoided it for a long time because well I didn't want things to smell like vinegar...if only I'd have done it sooner.

I also make my own laundry soap, which does have washing soda and borax in it.

JakeW

PF Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2013
Have you considered writing a book? You have the knowledge and experience enough to where you can just shoot from the hip and get the material down.

Vinegar seemed to have worked! The odor is still there, but barely noticeable now. And the next time I wash it, it should be gone for good. A bajillion thanks. I've been playing mom since my wife is currently in rehab (It's a bit sad, but I won't get into details.) I've been doing laundry, cooking, cleaning. I am not the best cook in the world, but the food is edible! It's still healthier than taking him to McDonalds or Burger King. Connor helps, or attempts to help me with the laundry. He will pick up and hand me the detergent so he feels involved.

The potty thing seems to be going smoothly for now. I have him sitting down on the toilet in reverse, and in the backyard when necessary standing up.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I wouldn't even know what to say in a book lol

Give it a few washes, the sun really did bake the smell in. I throw out pooped in clothes. I can't clean them, it just grosses me out.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree, vinegar can get out just about any nasty smell! I wont pretend to understand it lol, but I have seen it work, and somehow it does.

I too have always thrown out pooped on clothes, unless it was very minimal and an easy clean. Probably the main reason I couldn't consider cloth diapering. I'd like to help save the Earth, but the whole idea grosses me out. I can't scrub poop off of things, and I don't feel like I could ever get them clean enough to really feel comfortable putting them back on my baby's bottom, and I would feel like my washer was contaminated no matter what I did lol. I am a major germ freak.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I've thrown away some soiled clothes too, especially when they're just on the verge of growing out of it and it's not worth the hassle for a few more uses. Or if it's a fecal stain that I can't remove, it gets thrown out - diaper or not.

However, I used disposable liners on the cloth diapers to filter out the solids. If it's just a wet diaper, the liners launder just fine, up to about five washes. If it's soiled, I dispose of the liner. It makes the diapers last longer, as scrubbing out stool in something as frequently soiled as a diaper tends to wear out cloth. But most ordinary clothing can be salvaged...

I never tried vinegar because I assumed it would smell like vinegar. Good to know!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I always thought the same thing but vinegar doesn't. I even use it in my carpet cleaner, there is a little smell for about an hour but once it dries it goes away.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
akmom said:
However, I used disposable liners on the cloth diapers to filter out the solids. If it's just a wet diaper, the liners launder just fine, up to about five washes. If it's soiled, I dispose of the liner. It makes the diapers last longer, as scrubbing out stool in something as frequently soiled as a diaper tends to wear out cloth.
Oh, liners! That makes a lot of sense. :) Shows how much I know about cloth diapering lol. Seems like liners would definitely improve on the whole poop aspect.

JakeW

PF Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2013
*UPDATE*!!
So ladies and gentlemen, we might have another success story here:
I think he is now 100% fully potty trained! Yes 100%!! If there were a graduation for potty training this is it.

The way it works for him is, he will stand for about a minute or so, then there are times he gets tired of standing and will sit the rest of the way through because all he has to do is hop on facing the tank. He always seems to have a whole lot to empty, especially in the morning when he wakes up. After he is done, he puts on a big smile on his face; not sure if it's because he did it, or because he is relieved, the poor thing. 2.5+ minutes has to be an eternity for a toddler. I am extremely proud of how far he's gotten and what he has accomplished. Thanks for all your help everyone! :) He will turn 3 in August.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Awesome!!!! Go Connor!!! :D How tall is he and how much does he weigh? I am pretty sure you told us before, but I forgot lol.

JakeW

PF Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2013
I myself am 6'3" and I'm positive he will pass me some day. I was never this big at that age, My son is going through some insane growth spurts. haha

coreb2team4

Oct 31, 2014
Hello!

Please take this survey if you are a parent of children between the ages of 2-7 years old! My team and I currently doing a semester long project for a new product and we need survey results!

https://qtrial2014az1.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3mDwmHGs3GgS6up[/url]

Thanks in advance!