Potty Training...

going2thebeach

PF Regular
May 13, 2008
New York
So, my son is now 2.5 years old and I would LOVE to begin to potty train. He's really smart and has always seemed to do everything "early," but I'm not quite sure he's ready. There have been times where he'll ask me to change his diaper, but more often, he'll sit in a soaked diaper without any complaints. We practice sitting on the potty, but he usually wants to get right off. I try reading to him and singing songs to distract him and keep him on longer. This morning, he sat and sat and nothing happened. I let him sit on a towel why he watched TV and a little later, when I went to check on him, the towel was soaked. He didn't ever seem to notice. I tried talking to him about it, but he wanted no part in that conversation. He acted like he could care less. Does it seem like he's ready or should I wait longer? Any tips, suggestions, or similar experiences would be appreciated! :)

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
To be honest, this is my son too and he'll be 3 in sept. he never complains about his diaper. Even a poopie diaper, he's fine with sitting in it all day. he sometimes asks to use the toilet, but it's at most one a week.

right now, i'm trying cereal in the toilet. he likes to try and hit the cheerios with his pee. but we are still only getting on the toilet maybe 3 times a week now.

i'm not pushing it too hard yet, but if this goes on for another year, he wont be ready for school.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Unfortunately, I found that I was on Delaney's time table...not mine. I tried anything that I could think of to get her potty trained, but until she made the decision that she was ready to do it, it was a fruitless battle. Keep encouraging everyday to keep the thought in their mind, and eventually, they'll make the decision to do it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My boyfriends mom potty trained her kids real young by doing these two things (which I also plan on doing):

1 - Shortly after they learned to walk (all boys), their dad would take them in the bathroom every time he went to show them how to do it. Not long after, they were really interested to do it because they saw him doing it.

2 - She put a target thingie on the bottom of the toilet, which they LOVED to hit.

I figure I'll get Eli used to the idea of it as early as possible (but not put any pressure on the subject), so that I wont be throwing it at him after two years of peeing and pooping regularly in a diaper. I don't expect him to be potty trained super young, but I figure I can make it an option to him by opening up the opportunity to go with his dad as a role model, and by making it fun with a target.

I totally love the cheerios thing though, that's so funny. I bet he thinks it's just hilarious. haha.

My Aunt potty trained her kids using like M&Ms or whatever for a reward every time they went.

I had a potty chair that played music every time pee went into it lol. Apparently I loved it.

Just make a really big deal about it, get him excited. But either way, he'll get it sooner or later, don't worry. It takes some kids longer than others and there's nothing wrong with that.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I am a firm believer that the earlier you do it the less tug of war there is, all of mine are day trained just after 2, nights take a little longer. Here is how I do it.

1. About a month before you start training, get a little potty, and practice on it, keep it in the living room, kitchen wherever, the put it in the bathroom for a brief period of time, take him in the bathroom with you ask him if he wants to sit, don't force just ask, it can be with or without the diaper.
2. A week before the big day, start talking about it. Tell him how exciting it will be, how know he is going to use the potty like mommy and daddy, you get the idea.
3. Plan 2-5 days where you are going to be at home and only at home, and occasional trip is ok, but the bulk of time at home.
4. The big day, remove the diaper and don't go back (except at night), here is tha part that parents cringe, let him go naked from the waist down, yes you will have accidents but it is how they learn to understand the feeling and then what happens, then place the potty in whatever room he is in, it's easier for them to get to, accidents are no big deal, just say "Uh-oh help mommy clean it up, next time lets make it to the potty". Make sure to sit him down every 30 minutes and try to have him sit for at least 5-10 minutes, play games watch t.v anything, once he pee's do the potty dance and make a fool of yourself, they love it.
5. Once you have had 2 days with minimal accidents put underware on, make this a big deal, he will have an accident or two cause the underware are like a diaper trigger, and they tend to have them.
6. Have patience, it doesn't happen over night but I have done it with my last three, and had it done in a week at the most.

I did more traditional with the older ones, and it took a little longer, and was a heck of a lot harder. Good Luck!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I also think that starting early and going relaxed is the best approach. Since you can't go back to 18 months and start over, I would definately suggest just taking it easy! Get rid of DIAPERS!!! How can they learn when they have these things on their butts that sucks up the pee as soon as they go!! Go out and get yourself like 5 packages of undies and put him in it. Tell him big boys wear undies. Diapers or pull ups at night is different. Only let him wear them at night (or maybe long trips in the car in the beginning). Let him have accidents, don't get mad, just tell him "oops you had an accident, lets go sit on the potty because that is where we put our pee and poop" Be encouraging, don't tell him not to do it again. Just tell him accidents happen and try again, Try to get him to sit on the potty ever 30 min to an hour for a min. When he goes have a party!! Jump up and down afterwards, sing a silly song!! Some people give m&ms when they go. 1 for pee 2 for poop. I personally used that as a last resort when she reversed a tad.
Some say to buy a cool little toy and they can only look at it when they are on the potty. NO other time. Potty books that are left in the bathroom and only read when sitting all seem to work for lots of people.
Most important if you are going to potty train him, you have to be consistant. DO IT!!! Dump the diaper and go. It might still take a few weeks, but at his age, probably no more then a week or so as long as he is ALWAYS in undies!!

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Havoc is just about 18months and we have used the potty off and on for a couple months. His potty sings songs and talks, I put it in whatever room we are in. I ask him if he wants to sit on the potty, we use Cars pull ups as a reward for going potty on the chair. I recently bought Cars underwear which he loves. I think if I spent a few days with just underwear we could do it. I'm kinda waiting for more verbal communication. He's still not really talking. Though he does now sing the theme song to Wow Wow Wubbzy. lol