Profanity Poll Part 2...

Is having the right to use profanity worth losing good members?...

• Yes, let them leave...

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No, it isn't worth it...

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
It has come to my attention that we might be losing a few good and long time members due to us allowing profanity. I won't name any names but they are people that have made VERY fine contributions to the forum, and to my knowledge have never had conflicts with anyone here.

We have gotten along just fine without it for quite some time.

I know we put this to a vote but I guess I'm going to propose a new question.

Is having the right to use profanity worth losing members over?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Good Wolf said:
It has come to my attention that we might be losing a few good and long time members due to us allowing profanity. I won't name any names but they are people that have made VERY fine contributions to the forum, and to my knowledge have never had conflicts with anyone here.

We have gotten along just fine without it for quite some time.

I know we put this to a vote but I guess I'm going to propose a new question.

Is having the right to use profanity worth losing members over?
Me???

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it was all MM, she said she was leaving us for good because she can't handle vulgar words like "crap, darn, and smack booty". Its sad. lmao ok sorry I will shut up now

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I will still not cuss. I may use abbrev. Like fk or arse but I just don't talk like that. I hope they stick around. I don't need to swear to get my point across. I respect the one's who do not swear and I don't see the need to HAVE to swear. I'm all set.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I voted "Yes, let them leave"

But that was before I saw that we are losing long term active members. If you mean people like Trina, or Teresa...then I change it to "No." They are wonderful contributors, and great role models for our site.

I don't cuss in public, btw. You wouldn't think it would be that hard for people to just show a little restraint!

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
FooserX said:
I voted "Yes, let them leave"

But that was before I saw that we are losing long term active members. If you mean people like Trina, or Teresa...then I change it to "No." They are wonderful contributors, and great role models for our site.

I don't cuss in public, btw. You wouldn't think it would be that hard for people to just show a little restraint!
Thanks for letting us know. So that makes it 5-0. I could be wrong but I think I can foresee the outcome of this one.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
The thing I've noticed since the first profanity poll is that most of it is censored when used.

eg: f**k

I think it's a small price to pay to keep some good and long time contributors.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I remember a big brouhaha on my other forum which I love (yeah talking about it a lot lately) but we were faced with the same thing... We weren't allowed profanity and then the owner changed and she allowed anything... was the worst herself... Well over time, as people saw that people were offended and were leaving, everyone really just became more constructive with their posts over time, people weren't even inclined to curse anymore...

You'll find people will be much more inclined to take your opinion for what it is without the profanity. Much more receptive to your thoughts.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
FooserX said:
No kidding! Asking MM to not cuss is like asking Sirk to not change more things on PF!
You know I don't cuss you butt munch. I have to be careful when I write to you remember!! Per your orders. I'm the one that got you to use the world arse.

Let's see if Fooser can deal with the rules. I give him a day, maybe two.

By the way....you need to go get laid.:no:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Mindy said:
I remember a big brouhaha on my other forum which I love (yeah talking about it a lot lately) but we were faced with the same thing... We weren't allowed profanity and then the owner changed and she allowed anything... was the worst herself... Well over time, as people saw that people were offended and were leaving, everyone really just became more constructive with their posts over time, people weren't even inclined to curse anymore...

You'll find people will be much more inclined to take your opinion for what it is without the profanity. Much more receptive to your thoughts.
Mindy I have to say you have seemed like you've grown a bit on this board. I think you are trying to be rational. Good job.